Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by natman
I'm getting the impression that a shotgun is recommended because you can't miss with one. That's not true. Those big 40" wide patterns you see in pictures are shot at 40 yards. The longest shot possible inside my home is 21 feet or 7 yards. At that distance, the shot pattern is only as big as a fist. You still have to aim. The advantage of a shotgun is that it's easier to aim than a handgun and hits are more effective.

That highlighted sentence is a very succinct summation of this whole discussion about why to choose a shotgun over a handgun.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
. I'd have a hard time shooting someone if I wasn't in fear of my life.

Bullsheit, I know you. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anyone here not believe #9 birdshot will go all the way through a refridgerator? Lost 20.00 bucks on that trick.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have learned on this thread that lots of folks are prescient and can anticipate the time and nature of the attack and will have plenty of time to get that scatter gun. I have heard more discussion of shot weight and type than of moving w/ a light and target ID in an environment that may contain other people. I have enjoyed the legendary deterrent effect of racking that 870 as oft repeated by the cop/marine/gunshop guy. Some folks are lucky enough to live where they don't have to worry about the boogeymen.

What seems mostly absent is discussion of training events attended, practicing moving through your home w/ a long gun or handgun or planning w/ your family on how to act in a life threatening emergency. I doubt if many practice these situations on a regular basis or dryfire weekly w/ their weapon of choice. Skeet shooting is good practice...for shooting birds. I'm sure that everyone has a plan if there is a housefire and practice it w/ their family. No one has yet said how they will accomplish a 20 yard headshot w/ their shotgun if needed or said that they carry a long gun at all times.

Hope, theory and internet discussions are so much easier than learning, planning and training.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had the opportunity to shoot 3 different Intruders and never pulled the trigger, thank God. Two of the times were black dudes that entered the wrong hotel room and wrong condo to fix a sink. I had the lazer on their heads and one pizzed himself. The other one was doped up and just opened the door and walked right in. He started waving his hands at me when I jumped up so I pistol wipped him to the ground. The only person I actually shot at I missed but he definitely got the message. I'd have a hard time shooting someone if I wasn't in fear of my life.

With respect....This sounds like utter bullshƮt!

šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ok, I will say this about shotguns for home defense...ouch!

3ā€ 12 ga full house 00 buck kills at both ends. This thread had me curious so I grabbed my M1 that I just used turkey hunting and swapped the full choke for an improved cylinder and shot it at 20 yards with two rounds of Winchester mil contract 00 buck I bought bulk a few year back. Even found some old life sized a-hole targets to shoot at.

It basically feels like shooting a turkey load; with heavy recoil. I wouldnā€™t hesitate to use it in a defensive situation...and YMMV...but Iā€™ll continue to have my ARā€™s and Glocks at the ready all day, every day.

Iā€™m a believer in perfect practice makes perfect, and that you should train with the gun and loads you plan to rely on.

I doubt many guys train with full house 00 buck for long. 200 rounds of 5.56 (200/28= 7 mags), is a pleasant training session. 200 OO buck pellets (200/9=22 shells) is a black and blue shoulder and a headache. I don't believe heavy recoil is conducive to accurate shooting, fast follow up shots or more rounds on target. It applies to both hunting and home defense. For me, thereā€™s no comparisonā€”pass the carbine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cope
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had the opportunity to shoot 3 different Intruders and never pulled the trigger, thank God. Two of the times were black dudes that entered the wrong hotel room and wrong condo to fix a sink. I had the lazer on their heads and one pizzed himself. The other one was doped up and just opened the door and walked right in. He started waving his hands at me when I jumped up so I pistol wipped him to the ground. The only person I actually shot at I missed but he definitely got the message. I'd have a hard time shooting someone if I wasn't in fear of my life.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10

šŸ˜Ž

Well it ain't, I personally know him, and what he says you can take to the bank. One of the most down to earth, honest fellas you'll ever meet.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Mirageā€™s testimony leaves us with no choice.

We must trust the TrueGrit pending further review.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Copenhagen
Ok, I will say this about shotguns for home defense...ouch!

3ā€ 12 ga full house 00 buck kills at both ends. This thread had me curious so I grabbed my M1 that I just used turkey hunting and swapped the full choke for an improved cylinder and shot it at 20 yards with two rounds of Winchester mil contract 00 buck I bought bulk a few year back. Even found some old life sized a-hole targets to shoot at.

It basically feels like shooting a turkey load; with heavy recoil. I wouldnā€™t hesitate to use it in a defensive situation...and YMMV...but Iā€™ll continue to have my ARā€™s and Glocks at the ready all day, every day.

Iā€™m a believer in perfect practice makes perfect, and that you should train with the gun and loads you plan to rely on.

I doubt many guys train with full house 00 buck for long. 200 rounds of 5.56 (200/28= 7 mags), is a pleasant training session. 200 OO buck pellets (200/9=22 shells) is a black and blue shoulder and a headache. I don't believe heavy recoil is conducive to accurate shooting, fast follow up shots or more rounds on target. It applies to both hunting and home defense. For me, thereā€™s no comparisonā€”pass the carbine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3" magnum loads in the home are unnecessary and will slow down following shots. Home defense for most of us centers around bad people, not marauding grizzly bears or African lions. That's a separate conversation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

But ya have to love the "RESPECTFULLY, you're full of chit" post. Very polite.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Beaver10

šŸ˜Ž

Well it ain't, I personally know him, and what he says you can take to the bank. One of the most down to earth, honest fellas you'll ever meet.

10-4

BullshƮt meter will be recalibrated based on your testimony.

šŸ˜¬šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by deflave

Itā€™s always best to offer a polite opening before doing dirt on someone. šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yea, I'd a called bullsheit too if I didn't know him. šŸ˜

He's a character and has lived an interesting life.

I'm just surprised he didn't kill none of em šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Last edited by mirage243; 04/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Yea, I'd a called bullsheit too if I didn't know him. šŸ˜

He's a character and has lived an interesting life.

I'm just surprised he didn't kill none of em šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Appears TG may benefit from slinging a Benelli instead of a pistol....Grins šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MOGC

Respect, is our foundation.

The Beav knows this.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Well I have read all the post through 12 and have learned a lot.I'm one of the
newest guys on fire, but wanted to add to discussion about old guys here.
Tomorrow I will be 77 yrs and my 870 will be 61. It was a present on my 16th.
It is in a rack on my side of the bed. Wife has a 45 New Service on her side.
We know how to use them. Pray we never have to. Distance from Bed , down
the hall is 36 ft. to the front foyer. Counting on one of the dogs waking us.
But if someone enters house without announcement...well. 870 is loaded with
a#71/2 spreader load, #6 spreader followed with 3 rounds of 00 buck. The #71/2
was 4" up and down and 14" wide at 20'. #6 was about 4" by 12" both on a 1/2"
4'x4' pc of sheetrock.
Gosh if I could have all the memories back that old 870 and I have made, it would
take a while to get through em.
Oldcuss

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a 12yd. shot down that hall, I'd want #4 buck to start. Or at least #2 lead. Put him on his ass quick.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What sort of light do you use when gunnin' w/ that 870?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by natman
I'm getting the impression that a shotgun is recommended because you can't miss with one. That's not true. Those big 40" wide patterns you see in pictures are shot at 40 yards. The longest shot possible inside my home is 21 feet or 7 yards. At that distance, the shot pattern is only as big as a fist. You still have to aim. The advantage of a shotgun is that it's easier to aim than a handgun and hits are more effective.

That highlighted sentence is a very succinct summation of this whole discussion about why to choose a shotgun over a handgun.

Yep!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.