Q
Which version?

GOD Bless America
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Leicas are superb and some of them are in your price range.

I also had a pair of Zeiss 10x that were every bit as good.

Also, check this out: https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would look at the Meostar, Conquests, or Monarch HGs. Trying them before you buy is more important than what you buy. If you pick any of the better $1k binos, they are all very good. The ergonomics and your eyes will tell you what to buy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Meopta MeoStar HD. You won't be disappointed again.

This...

Yep 👍

Yup

Yep yep yep yep

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
1000 will get in you into some good glass...Steiner wildlife xp on close out chief amongst them...MeoStar, top shelf Nikon is second to none, used Swarovski Leica etc but they arnt better than the above imho

GOD Bless America
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Tract Toric 10x42s are excellent! Use them every day.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
These 2 are very good choices, the Nikon Monarch HG and the Zeiss Conquest HD.

I have both, the Nikon HG is the lightest of the bunch, very nice view. The Conquest may be a touch brighter in dim light, and probably brighter than any others mentioned.

Does anyone like to see in low light, deer thirty ?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was on this quest a couple months ago. Without an opportunity to look at them side by side it's a tough call. I eventually bought the tract torics. They've got a military/le discount of 15% off an already more than fair price. I've had them about a month now and been using them every day. Can't say they are better or worse than others mentioned, but they are sharp and clear and I'm well pleased with them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

Does anyone like to see in low light, deer thirty ?

Yes indeed and I use my Tract Toric over my Ultrvids eveni
in low light

Last edited by jwp475; 04/26/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Not to be repetitive, but I'd take, in this order........

Meopta Meostar HD- no down side IMO other than you may not like ergos
Nikon Monarch HG--Outstanding glass, wide FOV, but It's a Nikon. Who knows what Nikon will do in the future
Tract Toric UHD--Outstanding all the way around, eyecups are a little "weak"
Zeiss Conquest HD--Great glass, watch out for finicky eyecups/eye relief, focuser is super fast which isn't my fave
Leica pre HD Trinovid--good glass, doesn't really excel at anything though

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/26/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all who shared their views on this topic. Been starting to think maybe I should add a 10X bino and this falls into my price range.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
If your looking at 10x you really need to spend some time looking through them. They tend to be very shaky compared to 8x glasses...to the extreme that I can’t bird watch with them anymore

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Quak
If your looking at 10x you really need to spend some time looking through them. They tend to be very shaky compared to 8x glasses...to the extreme that I can’t bird watch with them anymore

That is dependent on the individual, I have no problem holding 12.5 power Binoculara steady

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by footindave
... and not quite ready to drop 2700.00 for the good ones yet lol.

If you'd consider used specimens, top-shelf alphas have been known to show up in the classifieds here around the $1,000 level. With a lifetime warranty on most of 'em, there's not much downside.

That being said, it really behooves you to get your own eyes behind as many binoculars as possible, to get a sense of what works best for you. With that part settled, sussing-out a good deal is much easier.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got $140 total in three binos bought from pawn shops. Leupold BX-3 Mohave 10x42, Pentax phase coated 8x42 DCF WP, and some cheap Bushnell H2O 10x42. All are fairly rugged and work well for me.
Can't see the value in dropping a grand or three in something that would only be a minute improvement. My eyes may not be discerning enough.

I am interested in an up-scale telescope though. Probably a Schmidt-Cassegrain, but maybe an acromatic refractor. And as soon as the Corona blows over, will probably start scanning craigslist for something I can trade into.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/26/20.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Your Pentax especially is fantastic...that is a great bino

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, the Pentax DCF WP is extremely good. When it first appeared, almost 20 years ago, I went on a deer hunt in eastern Montana with a good friend from Back East, who'd just spent well over $1000 on a 10x42 "alpha" binocular, of the brand that many pick as the best of the alphas. I could see more detail with my Pentax, and he was so astonished that we had to switch binoculars. He could see better through the Pentax too.

Of course, that kind of thing forced the "alpha" manufacturers to up their game--but so have the others in the years since.

I now own just about all the brands mentioned so far, and have owned or tested the others--and find it hard to pick between them. This is why I advise hunters to actually try as many brands as they can, even if just in a sporting goods store, to see what works for THEIR eyes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Agree 100%...but the problem is that many folks in our demographic (outdoor types/campfire honkeys) live in the sticks and even when we head to a bigger town we can’t get behind quality optics as most places don’t carry them. Or at least that’s why I personally ask so many optics questions. In my area i don’t think there is a place between Marquette and traverse city that I could get my hands on an optic over $150

GOD Bless America
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 10x42 Tract Toric UHD’s would be amazing glass at $12-1400, yet you can get them for $700.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife is a birder and many, if not most, can be optics snobs. When my wife said she wanted some nice binoculars she mentioned Swarovski and Zeiss. So I got first a pair of Swarovski 8X20 pocket binos (the were too small) and then a pair of Zeiss Conquests in 8X40. She carries the Zeiss most of the time. For my binos, years before, I bought a pair of Pentax WCF WP 8X32. The Zeiss were at $1K the Swaros were a little less and my Pentax were about 1/2 the price. I like my Pentax as well as her Zeiss. We will often be standing side by side at our picture window looking at some bird or small mammal in the woods behind our house and I can see everything she can see with my Pentax. Hers may be just the tiniest bit brighter, but for practical use, they are equally useful. The resolution of detail is the same.

Last edited by cooper57m; 04/27/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.