Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by djs
How has it affected me? Not personally as I am retired. But I've lost 2 friends to it.

The first was a friend in suburban DC 45 years ago. He was a Army physician who retired after 20 years and joined a medical practice in New Orleans. His wife and he were active in charities, some of which participated in the Mardi Gras festivities as fundraisers. In March, he was diagnosed positive and died several days later.

The second was a retired electrical engineer in New York who worked in World Trade Center 7 on 9/11/2001. Following the plane impact on the WTC Twin Towers (WTC 1&2), he left the building and was about 2 blocks away when WTC2 collapsed on his offices; he suffered some lung damage from the dust storm. He was diagnosed positive for Covid-19 and died 3 weeks ago. Sad story - escape from one tragedy only to die from another.

How old were these friends? And although tragic at least one of them had an underlying condition. I'm in my mid 50's and have health issues, if I get it I sure may die. But I'm damn sure not for the continuation of the ruination of our country because some may die.

Bump for djs, I'd like answers to my questions.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by las
Virus? What virus?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's fine looking colt!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djs
How has it affected me? Not personally as I am retired. But I've lost 2 friends to it.

The first was a friend in suburban DC 45 years ago. He was a Army physician who retired after 20 years and joined a medical practice in New Orleans. His wife and he were active in charities, some of which participated in the Mardi Gras festivities as fundraisers. In March, he was diagnosed positive and died several days later.

The second was a retired electrical engineer in New York who worked in World Trade Center 7 on 9/11/2001. Following the plane impact on the WTC Twin Towers (WTC 1&2), he left the building and was about 2 blocks away when WTC2 collapsed on his offices; he suffered some lung damage from the dust storm. He was diagnosed positive for Covid-19 and died 3 weeks ago. Sad story - escape from one tragedy only to die from another.

How old were these friends? And although tragic at least one of them had an underlying condition. I'm in my mid 50's and have health issues, if I get it I sure may die. But I'm damn sure not for the continuation of the ruination of our country because some may die.

Do you think ya can crawl off somewhere?
It'll much worse for those that have to put up with your sorry ass while you do your dying.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Originally Posted by djs

Do you think ya can crawl off somewhere?
It'll much worse for those that have to put up with your sorry ass while you do your dying.

I'm quite certain that the members here would much rather you crawl off somewhere, catch the virus and never be heard from again. That would make a whole lot of people here happy. They would no longer have to put up with your stupid posts or your TDS.

Once again... Go Fugg Yourself SuckAssCharlie

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Brad, sorry to hear about your Aunt ...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by handwerk
Brad, sorry to hear about your Aunt ...

Thank you Randy... she was an incredibly kind and sweet lady.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Hey skunk . He stated they died from covid. Unless your claiming he’s a liar chill out dude. Piss and moan. Ed k

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ERK
Hey skunk . He stated they died from covid. Unless your claiming he’s a liar chill out dude. Piss and moan. Ed k

I'm not the one pissing and moaning Eddie K hunt, you are. Just because they died from Covid doesn't mean they weren't one foot in the grave already. Have you not seen the numbers of infected showing no signs of the virus at all, or do you refuse to acknowledge that? You think that the economy should stay shut down because some people may die from the virus (just like they do from the flu).

I've already said I'm in a high risk group. I am financially secure and can live with everything shut down till next year comfortably. BUT I don't think that would be fair to the rest of the country. If you are at risk stay the fugg at home.... let everyone else get back to work.

And djs (dumbjackshit) I'd still like my question answered...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm retired as is the wife. income not impacted at all by the virus. only affecting me by not being able to see my kids or grandkids. we do lots of facetime with them, which we didn't do previously, otherwise i fish as usual, hit stores when i need to, etc. can't take the wife out to eat like we did before the virus but that's true for everyone i guess. i live on a gravel road, out in the country, so life isn't much different. it could be worse.....

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by djs

Answers:
1. The oncologist was 71 and in good health. He biked 15-20 miles a day and ran 10-15 mile races (didn't win but always finished!). He was in good health at Christmas, the last time was discussed health issues in any detail.

2. The Port Authority engineer did have respiratory issues stemming from inhaling a lot of dust from the WTC collapse; he was 75 and otherwise, was in good health with no major problems. He walked 2-3 miles a day at a pretty fast rate (according to him).

Neither ever smoked nor was diagnosed with life limiting illnesses.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

Answers:
1. The oncologist was 71 and in good health. He biked 15-20 miles a day and ran 10-15 mile races (didn't win but always finished!). He was in good health at Christmas, the last time was discussed health issues in any detail.

2. The Port Authority engineer did have respiratory issues stemming from inhaling a lot of dust from the WTC collapse; he was 75 and otherwise, was in good health with no major problems. He walked 2-3 miles a day at a pretty fast rate (according to him).

Neither ever smoked nor was diagnosed with life limiting illnesses.

Thank you for the answers. And I am sincerely sorry about your friends.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am 78 (looking at 79) and while in pretty good health (just finished a 15 mile bike ride), I recognize that the end is inevitable! When I was on the H1N1 Task Force in 2009, I participated in a number of briefings and presentations; one involved triage. While the doctor presenting the subject did not say what he would do in various situation, he left clear indications.

Here are some of the examples he presented:
* A 65 year old man and a 40 year old mother of 2 both need the single remaining ventilator to live, who gets it?
* A 65 year old man is on a ventilator and a 40 year old nurse needs it or she sill die, do you remove it from the man and give it to the nurse who will live and help others?
* A 25 year old carpenter and a 25 year old engineer need the same ventilator to live - who gets it?
* A 40 year old farmer and a 55 year old doctor need a ventilator to live, who gets it?

These are all difficult decisions that are (must be) made when parceling out scarce, critical equipment. They are not easy decisions, but last Sunday's New York Times Magazine had an article by a New York City ICU doctor who was making just these decisions (excellent to read article).

As I said, i am 78+ and may be the one who doesn't get the ventilator.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We two have been able to do most of what we do in daily life and have been able to obtain what we need. The one big hurt for us and our family is that all of us have been unable to travel to be with one another in family circumstances where much needed and wanted. That aspect has been frustrating and borders on painful.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It hasn't so far, because I'm not a dunce queen.

Phuuuck masks, and social distancing.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/25/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The garage smells like lavender scented Angel Soft.

Amazon panic buy...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry about the loss of your Aunt, Brad. That China virus has been wreaking havoc throughout the very senior citizen population.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
two of my guys are working 32 hours a week now - their choice because the daycare center closed and they are working from home with kids in tow.

Hired 20 college kids to start June 8. Normally we put them up in an apartment, give 'em a rental car, and they train locally for the summer

this time around they are staying wherever home is, I ordered 20 webcams and we're going to train them remotely using the software everyone else is using now called Zoom.

I don't think we'll be able to go into the office until at least July, and most likely later. Our HR team has told the summer interns we hired that the office will be closed during the summer and they work for me until August 14.

We are lucky business wise - we're still projecting to come in about 90% of our numbers we planned in February, so at least for the short term we don't anticipate any downturn, however our automotive business is bad and roughly 40% of our American workforce is located in the Detroit area. We'll need to figure out a way to get those people revenue producing soon or some hard decisions will have to be made. We've dropped our automotive numbers by roughly $5m in 4 weeks time. Fortunately other sectors were up almost $4m unexpectedly so we got lucky.

Personally, I've had to cancel two vacations which in the scheme of things is no big deal, but I've also had time to do things I've been putting off - organizing, maintenance, doing a job right instead of just patching it to get by - as long as I don't get sick, I've managed to make some lemonade out of the lemons. As a bonus I've got to spend some quality time with my college age daughter at a time in her life when she needed it.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/25/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wifey has mostly worked remote for the last 3 years but travels extensively around the world - or used too. All top level management teams at her company took a 25% pay cut.

I’m working, business as usual.

We hit the major grocery store about once every 2 weeks. Gloves and masks are required attire while inside, but no restrictions on the amount of people inside the store.

I’m in a small county with only 6 testing positive for Vid. All 6 survived.

We’re a tourist destination, obviously businesses are effectively being ruined as each day passes with closures in place.

Personally, it’s nice not having the asshat tourists running around, driving slower than the speed limit, and filling up all the rental properties.

Lost out on my trips to slay ground squirrels on the East side of the State. Hotel/Motels closed and rancher has his elderly parents living on the property - worried about one of us bring the virus to Burns, Oregon.

Life needs to start getting normal....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by djs
I am 78 (looking at 79) and while in pretty good health (just finished a 15 mile bike ride), I recognize that the end is inevitable! When I was on the H1N1 Task Force in 2009, I participated in a number of briefings and presentations; one involved triage. While the doctor presenting the subject did not say what he would do in various situation, he left clear indications.

Here are some of the examples he presented:
* A 65 year old man and a 40 year old mother of 2 both need the single remaining ventilator to live, who gets it?
* A 65 year old man is on a ventilator and a 40 year old nurse needs it or she sill die, do you remove it from the man and give it to the nurse who will live and help others?
* A 25 year old carpenter and a 25 year old engineer need the same ventilator to live - who gets it?
* A 40 year old farmer and a 55 year old doctor need a ventilator to live, who gets it?

These are all difficult decisions that are (must be) made when parceling out scarce, critical equipment. They are not easy decisions, but last Sunday's New York Times Magazine had an article by a New York City ICU doctor who was making just these decisions (excellent to read article).

As I said, i am 78+ and may be the one who doesn't get the ventilator.

.mother
.nurse
.carpenter
.farmer

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Had so many travelling and business plans this year, All ruined.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.