Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hello everybody,

I am having troubles with a scope, I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if this scope needs to take a trip to the manufacturer. I’m thinking it needs to get sent in but just double checking.

I got this scope from here on the campfire, it arrived as described and I in no way shape or form place blame on the seller as it could have been bumped hard during shipping or something.

I mounted this scope on a Ruger all weather 270 that I bought a few years back, the rifle shoots so I’m confident the issue isn’t with the rifle.

I went to zero the rifle in today, I placed a target at roughly 25 yards just to initially get it on paper and planned to zero it at 200yds but I never got that far.

-1st shot aimed at dead center was ~ 8” left so I dialed it to the right
-2nd shot no movement
-I kept giving it 8-12 clicks to the right without any movement for 5-6 more shots. (Elevation worked when I adjusted it after the initial shots)

Out of frustration I turned the dial all the way to the right, and the gun wasn’t on paper (maybe a dumb move). Like a true amateur I messed with it for 5-6 more rounds.

Next I put up a large piece of cardboard with a dot in the center
-1st shot was now ~ 10” right so I started bringing it left but the adjustments didn’t seem right, 12 clicks was moving me about 1”, I kept walking the shots towards the target then ran out of windage to the right at about 5” off the target.

So initially the gun was shooting left with no apparent changes occuring when adjusting windage, after messing with it for several more rounds I ended up with it hitting right with no more ability to move left.

What did I do here??? Flame suit on but in my defense I’ve never had this issue before and I’ve always been able to sight guns in quickly

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you have a loose base or ring, I'd say your scope is hosed.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been there done that. As long as the bases and rings are right, AND the holes for the bases on the receiver are correct then it is the scope. As the rifle shot well before I would say scope. Happened a couple of times to me. Just going back for repair doesn't mean it will come back to you now working either.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Nah, it’s the built in Ruger bases, torqued them down the other day when installing the scope.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Been there done that. As long as the bases and rings are right, AND the holes for the bases on the receiver are correct then it is the scope. As the rifle shot well before I would say scope. Happened a couple of times to me. Just going back for repair doesn't mean it will come back to you now working either.

Really? Like they might look at the scope and not fix it? I’ve
Never had to send a scope in before so that’s surprising to hear.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm sure others will chime in, but twice for me. They said it was a ring, base issues and the scope (scopes) passed their testing. Never could get either to adjust right. Even changing rings and using Burris Signature rings with the offsets. Other scopes put on did work.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I'm sure others will chime in, but twice for me. They said it was a ring, base issues and the scope (scopes) passed their testing. Never could get either to adjust right. Even changing rings and using Burris Signature rings with the offsets. Other scopes put on did work.

I sure hope that doesn’t happen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One was a Sako 85 with Sako Optilocks, Warnes, Lepould rings. Finally changed the scope no more issues. Other was an older Mauser. Have Remington VLS that is not playing nice with a Meopta right now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider

"hosed", or did you mean Leupold?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
None of the scopes I have had issues with were a Leupold. Will say I only have one Leupold in the house. So far it has been Golden just like the ring on the objective.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Hello everybody,

I am having troubles with a scope, I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if this scope needs to take a trip to the manufacturer. I’m thinking it needs to get sent in but just double checking.

I got this scope from here on the campfire, it arrived as described and I in no way shape or form place blame on the seller as it could have been bumped hard during shipping or something.

I mounted this scope on a Ruger all weather 270 that I bought a few years back, the rifle shoots so I’m confident the issue isn’t with the rifle.

I went to zero the rifle in today, I placed a target at roughly 25 yards just to initially get it on paper and planned to zero it at 200yds but I never got that far.

-1st shot aimed at dead center was ~ 8” left so I dialed it to the right
-2nd shot no movement
-I kept giving it 8-12 clicks to the right without any movement for 5-6 more shots. (Elevation worked when I adjusted it after the initial shots)

Out of frustration I turned the dial all the way to the right, and the gun wasn’t on paper (maybe a dumb move). Like a true amateur I messed with it for 5-6 more rounds.

Next I put up a large piece of cardboard with a dot in the center
-1st shot was now ~ 10” right so I started bringing it left but the adjustments didn’t seem right, 12 clicks was moving me about 1”, I kept walking the shots towards the target then ran out of windage to the right at about 5” off the target.

So initially the gun was shooting left with no apparent changes occuring when adjusting windage, after messing with it for several more rounds I ended up with it hitting right with no more ability to move left.

What did I do here??? Flame suit on but in my defense I’ve never had this issue before and I’ve always been able to sight guns in quickly

Were it mine I would go through the windage and elevation adjustments completely three or four times and try again.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Leupold disease

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Try what JSTUART suggested, I have fixed a couple of scopes with sticky adjustments by doing that.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this was me, I’d remove the scope and using the same bases/rings I’d install a known good scope. Then I’d take the rifle and use a known accurate load to shoot some groups. Shift the proven scope with regards to windage/elevation and make certain the groups track and stay consistent.

Basically this step back verifies you’re Rifle is good, your load is good and your scope mount is good. Now the only variable is this new scope.

Reinstall it and see if you can shoot a group, don’t fire one shot and adjust, try a group. Ive had bad scopes that would shift poi due to recoil. If your rifle shoots a group, then try adjusting elevation or windage to see if it tracks and continues to group.

If you see the same behavior again after verifying rifle, load and mounting are good to go with another scope, then you have a bad scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it’s a bad scope I’d be in touch with the seller right away.

Assuming the scope was well packaged and the box arrived intact, then I’d want to understand the history of the scope.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
If this was me, I’d remove the scope and using the same bases/rings I’d install a known good scope. Then I’d take the rifle and use a known accurate load to shoot some groups. Shift the proven scope with regards to windage/elevation and make certain the groups track and stay consistent.

Basically this step back verifies you’re Rifle is good, your load is good and your scope mount is good. Now the only variable is this new scope.

Reinstall it and see if you can shoot a group, don’t fire one shot and adjust, try a group. Ive had bad scopes that would shift poi due to recoil. If your rifle shoots a group, then try adjusting elevation or windage to see if it tracks and continues to group.

If you see the same behavior again after verifying rifle, load and mounting are good to go with another scope, then you have a bad scope.

That is a good idea, only problem is that I don’t really want to pull a scope off a rifle that’s all set up and sighted in. I don’t have any scopes laying around at the moment.

Assuming the scope was well packaged and the box arrived intact, then I’d want to understand the history of the scope.

I'm leaning toward this. I didn't catch what kind of scope it was....

I like to buy scopes that have the unlimited BA warrantee so it's a one time purchase. Lately, the only thing riding my rifles are Vortex because their customer service and warrantee is outstanding.

The bottom line is your reticle is effed. It needs to go back to the seller or the manufacture. Even if you could fix it, I wouldn't trust a "sticky" scope.

E
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Fireflyfishing

I'm leaning toward this. I didn't catch what kind of scope it was....

I like to buy scopes that have the unlimited BA warrantee so it's a one time purchase. Lately, the only thing riding my rifles are Vortex because their customer service and warrantee is outstanding.

The bottom line is your reticle is effed. It needs to go back to the seller or the manufacture. Even if you could fix it, I wouldn't trust a "sticky" scope.

Well I can’t trust it since I can’t even get it sighted in lol, I may contact the seller but honestly I don’t think that it will do any better than sending it in myself, I purposely looked for this scope because it’s not made any longer and I don’t really want the model they have replaced it with.

I probably should have just looked for another Zeiss conquest

Last edited by AKPENDUDE; 04/26/20.
J
J
Ill assume its a Ruger m77? Are your rings lapped? Ruger makes some bullet proof stuff, but not always the most precise. Could have a slight pinch point on the scope tube causing the erector not to move perfectly. I would remove and check scope adjustment without being mounted, then re install.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnnybravoo77
Ill assume its a Ruger m77? Are your rings lapped? Ruger makes some bullet proof stuff, but not always the most precise. Could have a slight pinch point on the scope tube causing the erector not to move perfectly. I would remove and check scope adjustment without being mounted, then re install.

This might be worth checking out. Also you said you torqued them down, was that with a torque wrench or "farmer tight"? Could be the mounts are causing a problem. If that doesn't work then it has to go back to the factory. I have sent a few scopes to a few manufacturers and all came back fixed.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.