Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Years ago I purchased a pre-64 model 70 featherweight. The action and barrel were great but the stock varnish was flaking and missing on ~50% of the surface area. I put the barreled action in a McMillan and never looked back. The gun was not a collector but was certainly a shooter. I decided I would never need the original stock so I chemically stripped off the varnish and attempted to replicate the original finish as a learning project. The stock was never sanded and checkering was untouched. The stock has no splits or cracks and came off a 1955 featherweight. I am wanting to post and attempt to sell the stock on a couple of sites but would like your input as to a price. Yeah I know I am asking for an opinion. In true Campfire tradition.....flame on. Pictures attached.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ih59D5F.jpg?1[/img]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First off, thanks for posting pictures. When i get home from work and can take a better look at them, i may end up changing my $ amount. On the phone, the stock looks good. Your description sounds honest. I'd say you could probably get about $275.00 out of it, if you list it in the right place.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Easily 200-275 with the alum butt and swivels

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Nice stock. It would be worth more to me with the original finish on it. The new finish is visible in the checkering. $300 + or - (probably +) on eBay.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I sure like having the opportunity to look at a stick of 65 year old Walnut. I'm interested in buying if you are selling? PM me if you are

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
PM sent, I'll take it. Please advise payment details.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whew, I've been busy today. First chance I've had to look at this stock again. I still stand by my first estimate... It could go a little higher on ebay, but then you have to pay those dang fees etc... You'd still break even about $275.00.... One thing for certain, these stocks are getting harder and harder to find in really nice original condition. Many have been refinished and the ones that haven't suffer from the original finish flaking off and looking like dog chidt. So in one hand, you have a decent looking re-finished stock and in the other, you have an ugly azzed original in need of something. To me, a flaking original is of no better or more desirable condition than the re-finished one...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Whew, I've been busy today. First chance I've had to look at this stock again. I still stand by my first estimate... It could go a little higher on ebay, but then you have to pay those dang fees etc... You'd still break even about $275.00.... One thing for certain, these stocks are getting harder and harder to find in really nice original condition. Many have been refinished and the ones that haven't suffer from the original finish flaking off and looking like dog chidt. So in one hand, you have a decent looking re-finished stock and in the other, you have an ugly azzed original in need of something. To me, a flaking original is of no better or more desirable condition than the re-finished one...

I remember back in 1971 I was hunting with a pristine pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .308 caliber. It started one of those WV heavy, wet snowstorms and snowed about a foot in no time. My rifle got soaked and that varnish just vanished by the time I got back to camp. Winchester stock finishes were not very durable during the 50s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by model70man

I remember back in 1971 I was hunting with a pristine pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .308 caliber. It started one of those WV heavy, wet snowstorms and snowed about a foot in no time. My rifle got soaked and that varnish just vanished by the time I got back to camp. Winchester stock finishes were not very durable during the 50s.

That's a fact..

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

I think it was white by the end of the day. Next trip it was wearing glass.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one, except it has recoil pad and refinsihed stock . Great condition otherwise.I have advertised it for $150 for a few months and no takers.
I see them Ebay for $300 or so, but don't know if they are selling or not

Since some one has already said they would buy your stock, I will post photos of mine.If this is not apporpriate, I will remove them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/28/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I want to thank everyone for their input. The stock has been sold to a member of the campfire forum. Woodswalker, the other individual had sent me a PM that was ~2 hours earlier that your response saying that he wanted the stock. I replied with my price which he accepted. I agree with BSA and several of the others that PM'ed in that the mid 50's flaking varnish looks like dog chidt. This was the original reason to attempt to start a stock refinish and learn what/how it could be make to look better.

Last edited by lynntelk; 04/28/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have one, except it has recoil pad and refinsihed stock . Great condition otherwise.I have advertised it for $150 for a few months and no takers.
I see them Ebay for $300 or so, but don't know if they are selling or not

Since some one has already said they would buy your stock, I will post photos of mine.If this is not apporpriate, I will remove them.

Your stock would sell on ebay, easily, for your asking price.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lynntelk
I want to thank everyone for their input. The stock has been sold to a member of the campfire forum. Woodswalker, the other individual had sent me a PM that was ~2 hours earlier that your response saying that he wanted the stock. I replied with my price which he accepted. I agree with BSA and several of the others that PM'ed in that the mid 50's flaking varnish looks like dog chidt. This was the original reason to attempt to start a stock refinish and learn what/how it could be make to look better.

I think you did good. Brought life back to the old stock. Should be even better now for the weather than the old finish was.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Your stock would sell on ebay, easily, for your asking price.

Yea, but too much of a hassle selling on there.Would rather give someone a good deal on here.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just curious, so an old unfinished stock that has no damage just finish disappearing is worth more than an uncut refinished stock? I have a couple of standard stocks that I may or may not get refinished.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
No, that's not what I said. I said I thought the flaking varnish (missing over ~50%) looked like dog chidt.
I agree with BSA and several of the others that PM'ed in that the mid 50's flaking varnish looks like dog chidt. This was the original reason to attempt to start a stock refinish and learn what/how it could be make to look better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
Just curious, so an old unfinished stock that has no damage just finish disappearing is worth more than an uncut refinished stock? I have a couple of standard stocks that I may or may not get refinished.

BLR, there have been some prime examples I've seen over the years where the seller thinks their old pre 64 stock with the finish flaking off and bare wood showing and sometimes damaged is worth its weight in gold. Just because its a "pre 64". This is hardly the case. There have been a few members here trying to sell their old worn out stocks for exorbitant prices and then wonder why the stock never sells... If you have a stock in good to excellent condition, it will sell without a doubt at a "fair market value", because there are always guys that search those out. It also depends on what vintage the stock is. The older and in better condition and harder to find stocks will bring in good money. Clover leaf tang 375 H&H stocks, for example, will bring good money. I keep a close eye on sites like ebay for pre 64 stocks. I see a lot of stocks that have been cut and recoil pad added. That is far worse to do to a pre 64 stock IMHO. When you do that, you can bet your azz it went from a $400.00 stock down to a $150.00 stock. That is, if it was in good condition and had all its factory finish and no scratches, gouges or cracks... For your stocks, I'd suggest starting a thread here and posting a bunch of pics before you decide to sell them. Guys here will give you a very honest answer and their best estimate based on their own experience....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TY for info BSA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.