Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 40O
I'll make you a deal, promise to buy one, enter local matches, and share your results with me, and I'll do the same.

I don't know that I can shoot them at our club.

I have to ask.

But I can't because The Corona has everything shut down. LOL.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
79S . . . . . . .he's a funny mother fuqker. 😁

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Back in college, we'd shoot flies off the wall with 22 LRs. We'd run out of .22s on occasion, so we'd dump the pellets out of some quail loads, and fire the wads at the flies. Those wads never once failed to penetrate sheetrock. That's my way of saying, shotguns have serious potential, especially at self defense range.

Shotguns have made the absolutely nastiest wounds, on people or critters I have ever seen and yes: the sound of a pump being racked is a psychological deterrent. I've seen it. Maybe not to someone whacked out on meth, but to anyone resembling sober it can very possibly have a guy avoiding a lot of paperwork, lawyer troubles and mental issues. Killing anyone who breaks in may sound good in theory but I'll bet $ most folks who are unfortunately put into that situation have different afterthoughts...Lethal shot absolutely has it's place, but I think the non-lethal loads do too.

Probably 10-12 years ago, some Rambo near my hometown shot at a burglar in his home, fully intent on killing him and ended up shooting and killing a family member in the next room over. I can't remember if it was with a shotgun or rifle, or any specifics about the situation, but Rambo committed suicide a while later. Chew on that for a while.

Ted, it sounds like you shot a lot of wads in college. Good times!! In high school we found you could cut the crimps off a case, put a new 209 in, then seat a wad upside down and it shot pretty good.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection.

I don't know, Beav.

I am not qualified to comment on the latest and greatest, so I just listen to those that are not stuck in the past.

Over the years I've been reading, listening, and loosely keeping mental notes on what instructors recommend. These are guys that kicked doors down for a living. And now they teach the rest of us.

From what I have filed away in my brain, these guys seem to say that there isn't a semi-auto shotgun that has been proven reliable. Especially with some of the extended mag tubes.

And for pump shotguns, they see people struggle under stress. Stress in class.

They all seem to recommend an AR15, as being more reliable and easier for Joe-average or Jane-average to operate, in defense of their home.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Which class did you take w/ him? Or any trainer?

None at all, which is why I focus on KISS; two rounds in center mass, seven yards or less, starting from a low ready.

I do recall an article prob’ly more’n thirty years in a Guns Annual by one Wilfrid Ward on British military revolvers. In it he mentioned that to pass their 1920’s era Revolver School, starting from a one hand low-ready position you had one second to put a round into a 10” x 15” target. I forget the range, I’m thinking thirty feet.

Eminently practical. Seems like the Brits were way ahead of us from the Nineteenth Century into the 20th when it came to combat handgun training.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 40O
PCC or, in my case a pc with a brace! I've been shooting a gen 2 Sig MPX. Love the thing. Accurate as all get out to any distance you're likely to find in a house. Pleasant to shoot.

Don't get me wrong, I've been shooting every kinda Clay's I could find for two decades. But I can't get myself to buy an 18 inch barrel when even the 3-gunners recommend 26. I have two stories and six other people in the house. I need both accuracy, and fast follow ups. PCC or braced equivalent for me.
Pete

P.S., will probably pick up an M2 for local competition so my mind could change. It will be a 26.

It occurred to me that no one had mentioned a 9mm carbine then I had to look up what a Sig MPX was.

Seems like the right one could have all the ease of use of an AR without the muzzle blast.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Ted, it sounds like you shot a lot of wads in college. Good times!! In high school we found you could cut the crimps off a case, put a new 209 in, then seat a wad upside down and it shot pretty good.

Bb

Well duh....you think I was actually reading there or something?

I honestly don't know how I survived high school, between the beer and guns, and all the stuff I learned. God I miss those dayslaugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by gunzo
Squill? Perennial herbs?

I'll take a doe over some plants any day.

Squill as described by the once famous forum beast known as Big Mortie are commonly called squirrel by most folks. As I recall he used a .30-06 to hunt them.

Yep, Big Mortie really knew how to blast 'em, didn't he? I miss his posts. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by gunzo
Squill? Perennial herbs?

I'll take a doe over some plants any day.

Squill as described by the once famous forum beast known as Big Mortie are commonly called squirrel by most folks. As I recall he used a .30-06 to hunt them.

DD, I use a 20 with low base dove load 6s for cat squirrels and blue quail. Quite adequate to 30 yds.

People with 12ga high base 7.5s wont beat me on blue quail. They may put more down with broken wings, but they wont recover most of those. They cant run through the weeds, grass and brush fast enough to catch them or get close enough for an effective ground shot most of the time.

I do switch from IC to IM though for squirrels.

I was sitting with a friend in the woods for squirrels with a bud from S Texas who was new to the game once when a big spike walked to withing about 25 yards. He shot it in the throat patch with high brass 6s from a 12 and it went down right there.

We’re pretty much on the same page.

Thinking a lot of folks think scatterguns are simple, buy one and you’re a killer. It is a far different discipline than rifles and handguns. Chokes are a big deal, loads too. Biggest deal for the whole deal is fit. Someone with the smarts and experience is no pushover when so armed.

Long time back I spent 4-5 years shooting clays, and began loading to save a few bucks. 12-14K rds/yr made it worth doing. Loading 20 and 12 bore. One step outside the box for the 12 was 20 ga equivalent loads. 7/8 oz of #9 shot and a mild velocity thru the IC choke threw such a tight pattern it was bizarre. It was also one helluva good quail load. There be a lot of complexity there I’m not going to belabor, but the short version is if I’ve got a shotgun in hand I have few worries.

There be a time and place for all styles of arms. For me, in my home, it’s a scattergun. I won’t miss. Bellies are great targets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

It occurred to me that no one had mentioned a 9mm carbine then I had to look up what a Sig MPX was.

Seems like the right one could have all the ease of use of an AR without the muzzle blast.

A couple more gems.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Well duh....you think I was actually reading there or something?

I honestly don't know how I survived high school, between the beer and guns, and all the stuff I learned. God I miss those dayslaugh

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection.

I don't know, Beav.

I am not qualified to comment on the latest and greatest, so I just listen to those that are not stuck in the past.

Over the years I've been reading, listening, and loosely keeping mental notes on what instructors recommend. These are guys that kicked doors down for a living. And now they teach the rest of us.

From what I have filed away in my brain, these guys seem to say that there isn't a semi-auto shotgun that has been proven reliable. Especially with some of the extended mag tubes.

And for pump shotguns, they see people struggle under stress. Stress in class.

They all seem to recommend an AR15, as being more reliable and easier for Joe-average or Jane-average to operate, in defense of their home.

If you are going to only choose one long gun for HD, and are equally familiar/competent with each, go with the M4.

My Auto-5 shown in this thread is simply one tool in the toolbox.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A couple more gems.

Hey Tks 🙂

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by greydog
Neat video. I think any shotgun is just fine for home defense. Within the confines of the average house, BB shot is probably more than adequate. In fact, if someone gets shot in the face with a .410 and no. 4's, his day is probably done. The only drawback to the shotgun at all is whether or not it is ready, at hand, when you need it. GD

I worked with a guy who got shot in the face with a .410 at close range and he is blind and not dead.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
You guys have a strange outlook on things.

I don't want to kill anybody.

Neither do I. Minnesota law requires me to be a reluctant
participant.
I sure would be in trouble if a bad guys lawyer saw me bragging about wanting to shoot anyone.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone needs a good shotgun. Just use as needed, right.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Stars & Bars working just fine for me here.

[Linked Image]

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/634063_ts.jpg

LOL, Nice!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well If I have to chose between a shotgun or my 1911 I pick the 1911. Mostly because I shoot it so well and I have one near me at just about all times. I also keep a shotgun or two around the house loaded generally with #4 shot, 1oz in the 20 gauge and 1 1/4oz in the 12. I have dogs both inside an out so nothing will surprise me and I will have plenty of time to decide what weapon and what for, if it is a coyote, raccoon or skunk the shotgun is it. If it is an intruder my main issue will be separating my dog safely from said intruder which is easier done with a handgun in one hand. In reality the dogs are my first line of defense and I am there to support them.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BamBam,
What optic are you running? I have the 10" MPX with a Aimpoint Pro on top. Thinking of trying a C-More. We'll 'C.'

I've been shooting the Federal 147 HST for awhile. Will be trying some federal 115 +P+ when things settle down (have them, just don't want to hang with the people at ranges right now).
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.