Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I have a pair of these somewhat rare USFA 100% US built Inspector Series Colt Cavalry. One Ainsworth and one Nettelton
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have heard that they were fine revolvers

They were! I had a Nettleton Model. Gave it to my best friend. Sadly, he passed nearly 10 years ago. Hope his wife passed it down to his son.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
only a pietta but its nice and for sale.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Just got back from the range with the 5.5 inch Uberti SAA. This thing shoots like a dream. Sights are dead on with either the .45 ACP or the .45 Colt cylinder installed. That's almost unheard of, even with real Colts. Today I shot it with the .45 Colt cylinder installed.

[Linked Image]

This target shows a five shot group, from a standing, off-hand, two-handed hold, at fifteen yards.

[Linked Image]

This one shows 3 five-shot strings, fired from a standing, off-hand, one-handed hold, at ten yards.

[Linked Image]

Love this gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't believe no one asked about that serial no 7 colt I posted.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

How much? smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

How much? smile

6 figures.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

6 figures.

Just takes the right buyer.

Provenance and documentation is of utmost importance as well as condition, fit, finish and having the configuration to match the documentation.

I dealt a bit in old west memorabilia with some pretty heavy hitters in the past.... And can tell you high dollar guns always sell better with a story. smile

Like if a famous outlaw, or lawman, or showman owned it. Or it killed someone famous, or someone famous killed somebody with it. (All requiring the same proof of course.)

Sometimes the ones you thing would fetch outrageous amounts, fall way short of expectations. Sometimes they meet them. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

6 figures.

Provenance and documentation is of utmost importance as well as condition, fit, finish and having the configuration to match the documentation.

I dealt a bit in old west memorabilia with some pretty heavy hitters in the past.... And can tell you high dollar guns always sell better with a story. smile

Like if a famous outlaw, or lawman, or showman owned it. Or it killed someone famous, or someone famous killed somebody with it. (All requiring the same proof of course.)

Sometimes the ones you thing would fetch outrageous amounts, fall way short of expectations. Sometimes they meet them. wink
he has the documentation on it, and it is all original. never been reblued or anything still has original grips, but it does look like a 150 yr old or however old it is, gun.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was pretty amazed when I saw the single digit serial no.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

6 figures.

he has the documentation on it, and it is all original. never been reblued or anything still has original grips, but it does look like a 150 yr old or however old it is, gun.
I didn't look up the SN but at #7 I'm sure that's an 1873 manufactured gun. That gun is worth some money just due to its age and low number, regardless of a story. A story with documentation would make it worth more, of course. A friend of mine bought and sold one of Bat Masterson's famous guns that he'd ordered from Colt's themselves. Documented. He's been deceased for awhile now.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back a few years ago Tom Horn's Winchester brought $190k at auction.

Excellent example of the market.

Roger, you never know what something will bring until it's done... But, I'm just taking a stab and saying the #7 would bring maybe $50k.

I've seen Colt Cavalry SAA's in very good shape with all the military proof marks, good blue, and nice wood and 3 digit serial numbers go for $25-35K.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have no idea what they're worth, just that the last time he put it up for auction it didn't meet the reserve.I'll have to ask again how he came to have it but it was a pretty interesting story involving some really old time ranching family.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Back in my cowboy action days, I found this pair of Gen 3's that had been engraved by a retired Weatherby engraver living in TX. The bud I got them from was from TX. I sent them to Nutmeg Sports for dead elephant grips and deep dish medallions. I sent a grip frame from another Colt I had shaped from Rosewood and they duplicated the shape.

They're .38 Spec., have some of the nicest irridescent case colors I've seen on Gen 3's.

Last photo is the Gen 3 .357 grip frame I shaped from rosewood and had checkered. It was the prototype for the ivory grips.

DF

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! That pair with ivory grips are impressive. I'd love to own those.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Back in my cowboy action days, I found this pair of Gen 3's that had been engraved by a retired Weatherby engraver living in TX. The bud I got them from was from TX. I sent them to Nutmeg Sports for dead elephant grips and deep dish medallions. I sent a grip frame from another Colt I had shaped from Rosewood and they duplicated the shape.

They're .38 Spec., have some of the nicest irridescent case colors I've seen on Gen 3's.

Last photo is the Gen 3 .357 grip frame I shaped from rosewood and had checkered. It was the prototype for the ivory grips.

DF

Very nice pair!

Love the engraving as well as the grips!

I particularly like that engraving on the bottom of the grip frames. That's a classic Colt pattern and location.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
So often you hear how Single Action Armies, even actual Colts, don't come from the factory with their sights regulated dead on. This one did. I think that's pretty cool.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So often you hear how Single Action Armies, even actual Colts, don't come from the factory with their sights regulated dead on. This one did. I think that's pretty cool.

That's a good shooting hogleg!

When you boil it all down, that's what matters most.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's a good shooting hogleg!

When you boil it all down, that's what matters most.

Can't disagree.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love Ivory, but that Rose Wood would be hard not to love.

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jbmi
I love Ivory, but that Rose Wood would be hard not to love.

Yeah, they're pretty nice.

I fitted the one piece rosewood grips, installed the deep dish medallions, sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering/carving. He does great work.

Rosewood is so oily it generally won't take a finish very well. Soaking in acetone takes a lot of the oil out of the wood. I then was able to finish it with a tung oil/urethane prep from Brownells.

DF

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.