Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Harbor Freight sells these little grinders for pocket change. Functionally, they operate like a lot of heavier duty models that sell for a quite a bit more. It takes a little bit of finesse to use one. But it's mostly just a matter of getting the stops set properly.

You can't beat on them with a hammer, but they do a pretty good job. Once you get it set up, you can sharpen a chain in about 10 minutes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bristo beat me to my reply. You still have to be a bit careful about sharpening IE cut the teeth same length. As you cut teeth you have to nip the rakers down some too as you cut more and more. But I've not had much issue with the rakers, I don't have to keep at them as much as the teeth.

I'd think it takes me 5 minutes to sharpen an 18 inch chain.

This one you can't change a lot of the angles like you can on my more expensive one I keep in Alaska at the house. But so far this lil cheap has done well enough. Plus when the chain is dull, its right there at the house to hit it with.

I'm not usually lazy, but things like this I am. And sharpening knives anymore... Havels Piranta takes apart a whole moose or brown bear... nuff said there. Plus paper wheels on a grinder...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is the oak I was cutting last week. This hard wood just beat hell out of my chain, I am sure it would have gone a lot better if I had been lubing the nose gear.
The things you can learn here on the campfire forum.

My brother went over with me for the second load and we both loaded up. His little Husqvarna was not up for the job I had to do all the cutting with my Stihl with the 20 inch bar. This wood is rather hard to split, but, it is beautiful firewood.

Post Oak like that, fairly large IE a big tree, but only about 38 inches diameter or so, took me a day to cut up into splitting size plus all the limbs. Tree was dead a year so fairly rough. Rounds cut every 18 inches so lots of chunks. Went through 5 chains that day. As soon as they quit cutting nice chips and start making a bit of sawdust it comes off and sharp one goes on. Go to the barn after that and touch em all up on a cheap freight sharpener. Works great. I could NOT get through a 24 inch oak like that with one chain here MAYBE if it was green. MAYBE.

Seriously, 5 chains?
I mostly cut dead standing Locust which is on par with granite as far as hardness goes, can usually get a cord or two out of a chain before needing to sharpen[as long as I keep it out of the dirt].

Seriously. I'm not sure how many cords, who measures that [bleep] anyway, its cut, on a low boy and to the barn or split and to the barn and tossed in. I try to cut only clean stuff, stay out of the dirt etc... I can cut the top of the tree limbs almost all with one chain. But its cutting the big rounds that wears on a chain in a bit. Mind you I don't let the chains get dull, as soon as they quit cutting nice, I swap. I don't want to have to grind the heck out of the teeth, just touch em up.

No clue on Locust. We have Bois D Arc but its not fire wood and I have cut it dry for gun stocks and thought after a year of aging it was not that difficult to cut.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sharpen all my chains with a Granberg File-N-Joint at the shop.

For a touch up out in the timber, my new best file is a Pferd that files down the rakers at the same time.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

Interesting hammer face on the maul. Make?

As Simon mentioned, Fiskars, 8lb I think.

I have one, it's a good tool for the non-traditionalist or anyone who isn't looking for a fancy $289 legacy maul....lol

Oak, the Pferd looks like a better version of what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044U4TC2/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by ironbender

Interesting hammer face on the maul. Make?

As Simon mentioned, Fiskars, 8lb I think.

I have one, it's a good tool for the non-traditionalist or anyone who isn't looking for a fancy $289 legacy maul....lol

I like the hammer face on it. Might have to get after it w the angle grinder.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson

[/quote]

Sam the Pferd has two angle visual aids, sure helps.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like it would much 'handier'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to do quite a bit of chain saw milling and used an Oregon file guide for that. Its a goofy double angle to get ripping down just right and its about impossible to nail it by eye. For every day saw use though I don't use a guide. There's guide marks on the chain for the angle and there's no up/down angle. I just go by what old Harry who started logging before saws were even invented taught me years ago. Don't over think it, follow the guide marks, just make sure every one of the teeth look just the same when your done. If you need to file the worse tooth 10 strokes do the same to them all. Sharpen early don't wait for it to get dull. Watch your chips if they're big and square its sharp.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Salty303
I used to do quite a bit of chain saw milling and used an Oregon file guide for that. Its a goofy double angle to get ripping down just right and its about impossible to nail it by eye. For every day saw use though I don't use a guide. There's guide marks on the chain for the angle and there's no up/down angle. I just go by what old Harry who started logging before saws were even invented taught me years ago. Don't over think it, follow the guide marks, just make sure every one of the teeth look just the same when your done. If you need to file the worse tooth 10 strokes do the same to them all. Sharpen early don't wait for it to get dull. Watch your chips if they're big and square its sharp.

I use a Stihl (metric) 3/8 file in the Oregon file guide. The Stihl metric file is a little smaller diameter than the Oregon 3/8 (SAE) file. I use this method on Oregon 3/8 semi chisel chain. A pro logger gave me this advise.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Harbor Freight sells these little grinders for pocket change. Functionally, they operate like a lot of heavier duty models that sell for a quite a bit more. It takes a little bit of finesse to use one. But it's mostly just a matter of getting the stops set properly.

You can't beat on them with a hammer, but they do a pretty good job. Once you get it set up, you can sharpen a chain in about 10 minutes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve got to get one of those. I hate sharpening chains to the point that often I just buy a new chain instead of doing it

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't spike the logs together. Along with getting a winter cut, the other critical thing for dovetail notch construction is to make only one building log out of one log.
"Box in the heart." If you have a 16 inch log, cut off 5 inches from each side, so that the center of the round log remains the center of the construction log, a 6 inch thick log that is 16 inches high. Cut in this manner, there will be very little twisting or warping, virtually none. Of course the logs are held securely in place at the corners with the dovetail notches, and the angle iron holds them well at the windows and doors. Then, 8 foot high you build a loft coming out about half way, that locks the whole thing together 8 feet up. Then the rafters lock it all in place on the top log.

I actually build giant trusses, the ones on my house are made of 4x10 white pine timbers, 22 feet long, with 3x6 inch collar ties. These are spiked into the top log with 12 inch steel spikes. That holds the top round of logs securely in place.

My house.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes I grease my bar tip, sometimes I don't. When I was logging a couple guys did a test, one guy greased his tip, the other didn't, and the guy who didn't grease his tip had it last longer.

I use a saw everyday and will wear out a bar before I wear out a tip.
I put about a teaspoon of chain oil over my tip every fill up, also clean your bar groove out every couple days and flip your bar so it wears even. I have worked with guys who would dip their bar tip in a small tin of chain oil kept handy while bucking on a landing, works for some guys.

What is really hard on a tip is getting your bar pinched, especially near the tip, a sure way to destroy a tip.
As mentioned also grease the clutch bearing every time you flip your bar. I have never worn out a clutch bearing in 40 years of sawing greasing it in this way.

Good quality chain oil is a must for long life, I use the cheap chain oil and add some STP to thicken it up in the summer time, its still cheaper...and I turn my oiler up too so it gets lots of oil.

Last edited by 673; 04/28/20.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (17Hunter, 1OntarioJim, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 27 invisible), 1,322 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,983
Posts18,520,002
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.