Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So little advice needed. Anyone here in or around Bozeman? I have a flyfishing trip planned out of there in mid July. Staying in town. Wife and I both planned on being there for a week. We'll be coming from the east coast. So I am sure right now lots of business shut down. Anyway to predict couple months ahead? Thx

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

where are you fishing at...…...bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You are not interested in his honey hole are you Bob.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No.

There’s no way to know what’s going to happen in July.

But around here, things are opening up. Stores and restaurants are opened or opening.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BluMtn
You are not interested in his honey hole are you Bob.

is it that obvious…….let me rephrase
what river or rivers are you fishing on...….bob

IC B2

L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Gallitan, Missouri. Supposedly going to wade fish Yellowstone too. First time out there so little in sure

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As things stand right now, things are definitely opening up more. As to predictions? I speculate fishing access will be open with minor regulations regarding social distancing, etc.,in place. If I were you, I would not cancel my trip plans. Are you planning to fish with a guide or is this a do-it-yourself venture? The Yellowstone is one of the more difficult rivers to wade fish; so, I'm assuming you are using a guide who has specific places located for you. How long are you going to be here? Either way, enjoy your stay.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You should be fine. People are fishing all up and down the Gallatin this week before it blows out from snowmelt. They are catching fish. A bud has been over to the Missouri and caught some nice big fish. Phase one opening started Monday in MT, with businesses allowed to open while observing social distancing. Next Monday the bars and restaurants will be allowed to begin opening, again with guidelines. Things should be relatively normal by July. If you are staying in Bozeman, I can’t believe your guide isn’t fishing the Madison. It is the blue ribbon trout stream in the area. Also like Big Sky mentioned, the Yellowstone is a big deep river that has limited wading opportunities. I would plan on wading the Gallatin (no fishing from boats allowed in the Gallatin Canyon) and floating the Y-stone and Madison. I have never fished the Missouri so no advice there. Good luck and have fun!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
As things stand right now, things are definitely opening up more. As to predictions? I speculate fishing access will be open with minor regulations regarding social distancing, etc.,in place. If I were you, I would not cancel my trip plans. Are you planning to fish with a guide or is this a do-it-yourself venture? The Yellowstone is one of the more difficult rivers to wade fish; so, I'm assuming you are using a guide who has specific places located for you. How long are you going to be here? Either way, enjoy your stay.

I agree with TBS, I think by July there won't be any restrictions for travelers. Bring a mask if you want to visit any stores.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lawnman: Not sure if this has been posted but as of NOW (April 29th) if YOU travel to Montana from out of state YOU must remain quarantined in one room or one house for 14 (fourteen!) days! Then you can go out and recreate/travel.
That is by state governmental order!
AND... Bozeman is THE epicenter for the Wuhan Red Death in all of Montana - so far 448 cases of the Wuhan Red Death have been confirmed in Montana amongst our population of barely one million people.
Sadly the 3 significant fly shops and outfitters here in Dillon, Montana are all right next to shut down - no clients want to "quarantine" for 14 days and then go fishing!
I am hoping that by the time of your trip, there would be a lifting of the quarantine, but thanks to the idiot libertarians we have a dipschit demonrat governor and NO telling what he will/may do?
Wish I could be more help but the only real "bright spot" on your horizon that I can see is there has been right next to NO one fishing on the major fishing rivers I travel along, so far this year (Bighole, Beaverhead, Jefferson, Red Rock and the upper Bitterroot sytems).
Best of luck to you and if you would like to see what appears to be a near 20 pound Rainbow Trout that was caught and released by a friend up on the "res" here in Montana about ten days ago I will send it to your phone.
It was caught on a streamer fly on a lake there on the "res".
P/M me your phone number (or anyone else for that matter) and I will forward it to you.
Come on Big Sky Country - open up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if everything was closed and the fish weren’t biting, come July, you’ll be better off there than in Florida!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Lawnman: Not sure if this has been posted but as of NOW (April 29th) if YOU travel to Montana from out of state YOU must remain quarantined in one room or one house for 14 (fourteen!) days! Then you can go out and recreate/travel.
AND... Bozeman is THE epicenter for the Wuhan Red Death in all of Montana - so far 448 cases of the Wuhan Red Death have been confirmed in Montana amongst our population of barely one million people.
Sadly the 3 significant fly shops and outfitters here in Dillon, Montana are all right next to shut down - no clients want to "quarantine" for 14 days and then go fishing!
I am hoping that by the time of your trip, there would be a lifting of the quarantine, but thanks to the idiot libertarians we have a dipschit demonrat governor and NO telling what he will/may do?
Wish I could be more help but the only real "bright spot" on your horizon that I can see is there has been right next to NO one fishing on the major fishing rivers I travel along, so far this year (Bighole, Beaverhead, Jefferson, Red Rock and the upper Bitterroot sytems).
Best of luck to you and if you would like to see what appears to be a near 20 pound Rainbow Trout that was caught and released by a friend up on the "res" here in Montana about ten days ago I will send it to your phone.
P/M me your phone number (or anyone else for that matter) and I will forward it to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Likely to stay closed for a couple years. Folks ought to look to California, Washington, and Oregon for their recreating/vacations.

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Likely to stay closed for a couple years. Folks ought to look to California, Washington, and Oregon for their recreating/vacations.

I had a motorcycle trip planned to WY/MT/ID for this June. The plan was to explore it on the bike first, then come back with my truck full of fly gear and hit the rivers. So much for my plans...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I had a motorcycle trip planned to WY/MT/ID for this June. The plan was to explore it on the bike first, then come back with my truck full of fly gear and hit the rivers. So much for my plans...

I hear Hwy 101 along the coast is nice. Besides, that's a long way to pedal.

I better include the smiley face before I feel the hate.

smile

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I hear Hwy 101 along the coast is nice. Besides, that's a long way to pedal.

I better include the smiley face before I feel the hate.

smile

I was stationed in Commiefornia back in the 80’s with the army. I lived about a minutes drive from 101. No thanks. Want nothing to do with Nancy’s nest site.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a flyfisherman, but I too was wondering about the reference to wade fishing the Yellowstone. Wonder if that would be referring to wade fishing in the park?

Is it even legal for a guide to take clients into ynp?

Guess I am assuming there is a guide in the mix.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Not a flyfisherman, but I too was wondering about the reference to wade fishing the Yellowstone. Wonder if that would be referring to wade fishing in the park?

Nothing ruins a Flyfishing trip for me quicker than fishing with a guide. Basically all I need to know is where the river is. If there are fish in the water I’ll figure it out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Nothing ruins a Flyfishing trip for me quicker than fishing with a guide. Basically all I need to know is where the river is. If there are fish in the water I’ll figure it out.

Good for you. Not everyone is as skilled as you.

And for a guy traveling across the continent to fish, combined with the response about "supposedly going to fish..." I assumed there was a 3rd party involved setting things up.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Good for you. Not everyone is as skilled as you.

And for a guy traveling across the continent to fish, combined with the response about "supposedly going to fish..." I assumed there was a 3rd party involved setting things up.

Why are you so angry? I was just making an off the cuff comment pertaining to myself. Wasn’t demeaning anything you or anyone else said.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This is true...and posted on the highways.

But as for it being enforced...not so much....or at all....

Just throwing that out there....

Varmintgay never disappoints.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.