Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been doing a lot of research on the war and the men who fought over there the past couple years. Watched hundreds of hours of interviews. Each one, no matter the branch of service or MOS, has a story to tell. Ordinary men who did extraordinary deeds. Truly inspiring. There's a hole in history that needs to be told from their perspective. Greatest Generation, indeed.

Dan, much respect. Not only for answering the call, but going back. Words can't suffice, but Welcome Home and Thank You are the best I have.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read an article a couple days back that talked about the guys coming home from Vietnam and going straight into police work. The article went on to explain that most of the vets were so well trained from being in country that the street was a piece of cake for them.

Bad guys took a lot of their lumps from these men who had seen the worst of ugliness and couldn’t be made to flinch by much that happened on the street while wearing blue.

Times sure have changed. Being a cop has to be a lot more difficult for the last 15 years or more than it was back in the 70’s and early 80’s.

Me growing up, cops were addressed by “Yes Sir”....”No Sir”...That was driven into my skull by a military father.

The games some people play on the cops today, wouldn’t happen to the cops from Vietnam. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I made the trip over and back twice but the memorable one was aboard what I think was a C141. I thought that if the news were to take a pic of the inside of that plane and its cargo the endless wars would cease and the public in general would be less entusiastic about projecting America's power around the world. Both my tours were voluntary and I do not regret them, and by no means is my comments to be taken as in-American, but that was a very sobering experience, and like I said, everybody whould have to see that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for your service.

I wasn't far behind you. I finished my year and flew out of Tan San Nhut in June 70. I remember seeing a few protesters at Travis, but don't recall seeing any at SFO.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
In "69 I flew out of Saigon to Anchorage, AK with a 1 hr. layover to refuel then to McGuire AFB in NJ. The longest and happiest plain ride in my life.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RIO7

2 Years 11 Months 13 Day's I will never forget. Rio7

Blue:

Told ya before... But Thank you for your service also sir...

Hope this finds you doing well...

best regards
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
...and about 4 hours, I got on board a DC-8 and joined the raucous cheering section as we left the ground at Tan San Nhut AFB headed for home. Doesn't seem that long ago.

Never imagined the USA would be 50 times more screwed up today.
Thanks for going. Glad you made it home. RIP to those who didn't make it back alive.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In 1970, I was a 2LT in the Army attending Infantry Officer Basic at Fort Benning, GA. I volunteered for Jump School, since it paid an extra $100 / month for officers. After Airborne School, it was Jungle School in Panama, then straight to Nam. In my last week of IOBC, I blew out my left ankle, and Jump School, Jungle School and Nam were out. I ended up staying stateside with an Infantry Brigade, performing TDY with the Army Marksmanship Unit.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.