Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think there are a few who in mu opinion missed the point. First, the guy on the video's credentials are pretty solid. Second, he is clearly on point and even more so, he DEMONSTRATES there is virtually no difference when it came to a lot of issues, his point was, if there is virtually no difference (with the exception of increased, albeit slight increase in recoil, hence my "for teh wimmins" quip), why go through the expense of having to train whole departments on it? As to ammo cost, surely economies of scale would offset that. But I see my intent on ruffling feathers had an effect....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MOGC

While that may be true, there is a difference in the public perception between a suspect being shot 8 times vs. 2 times. The general non shooting public doesn't understand the dynamic and complex situation shooting an armed violent homicidal bad guy presents to the good guys. Movies and media have made the ignorant general public think good guys should shoot the gun out of their hands or wing them in the shoulder. But not shoot them eight times, that's just not right! Blah, blah... I have personal experience in such a situation and it's a tough sell to make that granny on the jury understand the realities of gunfights. Hell, you can read the same deal right here on the Fire from the cop haters.

I don't think every officer should be packing full house 10mms because of that. In fact, that is the argument for the 9mm. Accuracy counts! Only accurate hits contribute to the good. If it's easier to get the troops to manage the 9mm then that extra millimeter of the .40 doesn't matter one percentage point of stopping power.

You make a valid point, but it is one I believe that can be easily explained by body cam footage from several police shootings that show in real time how many bullets bad guys can seem to soak up and still fight. Even granny can tell that sometimes it takes a handful of rounds to make 'em quit.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If you want to see if you can shoot a 9mm faster than a 40, get a timer. Shoot under time constraints. 95 percent will see a difference. If you don't see a difference, pat yourself on the back. A good shooter will shoot well with whatever you hand him.

Not directed at you CT, just a general statement for those following.....

Anyone reading this IS NOT in the 95%. And it's not 95%, it's more like 99.9999999%. Ben Stoeger, one of the two or three best shooters on the planet, has commented that it is easier to shoot accurately at speed with a 9mm than a .40.

A good shooter will shoot well with whatever you hand him. And he'll shoot better with a gun that recoils less.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
His point was in his opinion, it was not worth it to change the entire department's inventory on what was ostensibly picking flyshit out of pepper.

Recoil and "wimmins" shooters are a small part of why many departments are switching to 9mm.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmd025

Personally it’s a non issue.

That is his point. So why go through the expense?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
His point was in his opinion, it was not worth it to change the entire department's inventory on what was ostensibly picking flyshit out of pepper.

Recoil and "wimmins" shooters are a small part of why many departments are switching to 9mm.

And THAT is exactly my point. Nothing more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don’t buy into the increased stress / short service life thing . Never seen a credible , valid study to back it. This is only my opinion . Besides statistically the number of us that will shoot one into the ground is very low . Still a metric ton of guys using 40 in competition (read: massive round counts ) to make major .

Increased stress and shorter service life is a real thing. If you've never seen it that's only because you don't have enough experience with what you're talking about.

Yes, some people are still using .40 in competition. No, it's not a metric ton of them. And not that many at all compared to competition in general. They're the minority. And of those who use them in competition, very, very few will ever fire "massive round counts" and of those, they're not using plastic frame pistols to do it, and of those they're not using factory .40 either.

In short, you're wrong about a lot.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 04/30/20.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I may be misunderstanding your comment here , but I could only speculate that the big change came from recoil complaints and maybe ammo costs ?

Couldn’t say . The recoil is a non issue in a service sized gun for me personally , which is what I was saying .

The 9mm has been en Vogue lately with many . Everything finds itself in that limelight for a period , the 40 did .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because .40s beat up plastic guns. And because 9mm is cheaper to buy. And mostly because anyone who says it's a "non-issue" doesn't know what they're talking about.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I don’t buy into the increased stress / short service life thing . Never seen a credible , valid study to back it. This is only my opinion . Besides statistically the number of us that will shoot one into the ground is very low . Still a metric ton of guys using 40 in competition (read: massive round counts ) to make major .

Increased stress and shorter service life is a real thing. If you've never seen it that's only because you don't have enough experience with what you're talking about.

Yes, some people are still using .40 in competition. No, it's not a metric ton of them. And not that many at all compared to competition in general. They're the minority. And of those who use them in competition, very, very few will ever fire "massive round counts" and of those, they're not using plastic frame pistols to do it, and of those they're not using factory .40 either.

In short, you're wrong about a lot.

Then I bow out . I stated my observations . Be glad to have the experts weigh In

Again I said I , nor most have or will shoot one to pieces

Again I said I haven’t seen a definitive study from someone who has (but I’d honestly like to )

And again I said “to make major “

And competitors aren’t shooting many rounds these days ?

Last edited by jmd025; 04/30/20.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S
Hand me pa pa government model 1911 in a 45 auto, covid 19 face mask, and keep a 6 foot buffer.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I shot a bone stock g22 in tournaments this winter . Had no issue stacking double taps on top of each other while running , and saw no growth in times

That might mean you're not shooting very fast.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave

I shot a bone stock g22 in tournaments this winter . Had no issue stacking double taps on top of each other while running , and saw no growth in times

That might mean you're not shooting very fast.

Probably

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by efw

.40 just doesn’t factor in for me. 9mm is good enough. .45 is best.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Most larger departments transition duty weapons on a regular or semi-regular basis anyway.

If they were using the .40 before they're going to move to the 9mm in the future.

The damage a .40 can inflict to polymer frames is very real. Anybody that says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. It is very hard on guns.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave

Most larger departments transition duty weapons on a regular or semi-regular basis anyway.

If they were using the .40 before they're going to move to the 9mm in the future.

The damage a .40 can inflict to polymer frames is very real. Anybody that says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. It is very hard on guns.

Logic would seem to indicate the same will apply to the 357 Sig

An increase in power will produce a shorter life span. The same applies to motors

But is it enough difference to matter to everyone

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have little or no experience with the .357 Sig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the 40 introduced and used by LE agencies until I retired in '16. Firearms instructor, armorer and communicated with others from small agencies to the state patrol. Practically all of them used Glock 40s and some stayed in service over ten years, seeing 3-4 qualifications a year with full-boat service ammo. If those guns were breaking we would have heard about it- but never did. Change the recoil spring assembly at recommended service intervals or when indicated by function checks. These guns are fine if maintained properly.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Glock 22's and 23's are known to do better than others in the long term.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's about 2,000 rounds. Not surprising that most of them last that long without someone noticing that there's a problem.

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 843 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.