Hop To
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[
Oh, and remember this: If that 115 grain winchester silvertip had penetrated 2" more in Miami, You would have never heard of the 40 Smith and Wesson.

word...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJM
[quote=jorgeI][
Better do some reading...Jerry Dove shot Platt...his partner Ben Grogan was the one who could not see...

You can always post it here and we can all learn, because it goes against what I read and saw on the presentation. Here is the video. It's addressed in here, but maybe he's wrong. (go to 29:50 in the video where the glasses issue is discussed).

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/30/20.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[

More like FBI agents died in the shootout because none of them could hit [bleep] for shinola and it took one FBI guy with his arm half blowed off and a riot gun at point blank to terminate the perps. MB

Well almost . The FBI agent who had the 9mm had apparently poor eyesight and lost his glasses in the imbroglio so he couldn't see well. His one hit was that 9mm round that stopped short...

Better do some reading...Jerry Dove shot Platt...his partner Ben Grogan was the one who could not see...

Sorry but it was Jerry Dove that lost his glasses and couldn't see well without them. Yes Jerry Dove is the one that shot Platt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .22 Long Rifle has an excellent record on wild game.

Squirrels and grizzlies aren't the same, and neither are 120-lb hood rats and 240-lb meth heads. The latter comparison is always missing or poorly defined whenever I read up on shooting statistics. The results of the shooting are important, but so is WHAT was shot. There are plenty of bad guys, where if I could decide on the spot, I'd pick a .40 S&W over a 9mm.

I don't put much stake in cartridge 'shootability' comparisons. They always contain an "everything else the same" element that I can ignore. If I choose to select a cartridge with more power I can also choose a gun with more weight or barrel length. I can pick a 20-oz 9mm or a 30-oz .40 S&W and the shootability debate is moot.

The .40 S&W is a bigger hammer. I can offset any negatives with pistol size. Sure, gun size and weight can be a negative all by itself, but that sword cuts both ways - we can compare shooting times and accuracy of a mouse gun in 9mm and a .Hi-Power in 40 S&W.

Anyhow, I enjoy the debate.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
The .22 Long Rifle has an excellent record on wild game.

Squirrels and grizzlies aren't the same, and neither are 120-lb hood rats and 240-lb meth heads. The latter comparison is always missing or poorly defined whenever I read up on shooting statistics. The results of the shooting are important, but so is WHAT was shot. There are plenty of bad guys, where if I could decide on the spot, I'd pick a .40 S&W over a 9mm.

I don't put much stake in cartridge 'shootability' comparisons. They always contain an "everything else the same" element that I can ignore. If I choose to select a cartridge with more power I can also choose a gun with more weight or barrel length. I can pick a 20-oz 9mm or a 30-oz .40 S&W and the shootability debate is moot.

The .40 S&W is a bigger hammer. I can offset any negatives with pistol size. Sure, gun size and weight can be a negative all by itself, but that sword cuts both ways - we can compare shooting times and accuracy of a mouse gun in 9mm and a .Hi-Power in 40 S&W.

Anyhow, I enjoy the debate.

I've got a .40 S&W conversion barrel for my Glock 20, and it's a positive pleasure to shoot with that barrel installed. Shot to shot placement is about like a Glock 19. I'd much rather carry the Glock 19, though.

IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For Hawk.... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Jorge, this is just my opinion, but I think that half the known world transitioned to the 40 S&W because the FBI did. They were following the FBI's lead.

exactly! Here's another curve ball; the Secret Service uses the 357 SIG....

Why do they use the .357 SIG?

No idea, but I'm sure some government bureaucrat came up with the TOE>

The secret service has always had a "thing" with having something different. I remember some years back, they had Remington PSS rifles chambered for 7mm Rem Mag.

Just a WAG, but I’d think it has to do with barrier penetration. Doesn’t the 357Sig perform better than most in that area?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Raise your hand if you'd feel under gunned performing police work with a G17.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Just a WAG, but I’d think it has to do with barrier penetration. Doesn’t the 357Sig perform better than most in that area?

No.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No.

Yes. There is no doubt about that. The 9 MMS +P nor the 45 ACP +P will not penetration hard barriers as well as the 357 Sig. The 357 Sig is the only service cartridge that I've shot that penetrated through 1/8" steel plate

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d seen where it was reported to, but no controlled tests.

Why would they use it? Sig give it to them cheap to launch a cartridge?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

No.

Yes. There is no doubt about that. The 9 MMS +O nor the 45 ACP +P will not penetration hard barriers as well as the 357 Sig. The 357 Sig us the only service cartridge that I've shot that peneyrated through 1/8" steel plate

What do they all do on a car door?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’d seen where it was reported to, but no controlled tests.

Why would they use it? Sig give it to them cheap to launch a cartridge?

No idea.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

9mm and 45 +P will go through a car door if they do not hit the steel window roll up mechanism

The 357 Sig goes through with more force. Takes velocity to penetrate steel. in all fairness the 357 Sig from Underwood are advertised st 1475 FPS

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My point is that finding one loading of one type of cartridge that goes through one type of barrier isn't going to be the deciding factor when you're equipping 20K + cops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We hit 2K rounds before cadets leave the academy .

That should be a model for police training.

The guy running it is a stud.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

No.

Yes. There is no doubt about that. The 9 MMS +P nor the 45 ACP +P will not penetration hard barriers as well as the 357 Sig. The 357 Sig is the only service cartridge that I've shot that penetrated through 1/8" steel plate

Wouldn't that be more a function of the specific bullet used?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker

No.

Wouldn't that be more a function of the specific bullet used?

No bullet from 9am +P or 45 ACL +P penetrate q/8" plate.

JHP's in 357 Sig penetrated the 1/8" plate. Heavy brass jacketed flat points would penetrate one plate and leave a large dent on the second 1/8" plate

Speed penetrates steel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

No bullet from 9am +P or 45 ACL +P penetrate q/8" plate.

JHP's in 357 Sig penetrated the 1/8" plate. Heavy brass jacketed flat points would penetrate one plate and leave a large dent on the second 1/8" plate

Speed penetrates steel

Do they go through soft armor?

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The H ell y’all say, I am going with the 5.7.😆

Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.