Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I'm looking at a couple firearms listed on armslist site . I understand I will need to arrange the transfer thru an FFL , my question is : will shipping most likely be arranged thru the person I'm purchasing from or the actual FFL . Thanks, Tortoise

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't buy off Armslist if you can help it, full of scammers, and it depends on the person selling it

guns to me are like legal crack
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Speaking strictly for myself; Armslist transactions are done in person, or not at all. No exceptions. Period.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only in person deals.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Person to person on armlist only.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As stated above.Be very careful and cautious with any transaction that requires shipping on Armslist!! Lots of scammers and dishonest sellers on there and I would also only do in person transactions from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tortoise
I'm looking at a couple firearms listed on armslist site . I understand I will need to arrange the transfer thru an FFL , my question is : will shipping most likely be arranged thru the person I'm purchasing from or the actual FFL . Thanks, Tortoise

Due diligence is your friend. Generally speaking, as others above have said, armslist is the feeding ground of the scammers. Having said that, long distance deals can be safely done with a cooperative individual on the other side. To answer your question specifically, unless the ad has stated the seller price is "shipped" then the shipping is negotiable. Most "too good to be true" prices, are scams and are weeded out quickly. Having said that, try to arrange a deal whereby the seller ships through an FFL. If you are willing to pay that, the seller will probably be willing to do so. I have done this several times. The seller has agreed. I have made contact with the FFL personally. I have checked the FFL through ffl-ez check. I have arranged, with agreement of the seller and the FFL that the seller will deliver the firearm to the FFL. When that happens, and the FFL agrees to hold the firearm, I then send payment, payable to the seller, directly to the FFL. He turns payment over to the seller and ships the firearm.

I tell you all of that to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you proceed intelligently, you can accomplish a safe transaction as a long distance buyer on armslist. You have to decide if it is worth the extra effort and extra cost. Each of the three times I did this, it was worth the extra time, effort and minimal cost to do so.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Armslist is sanctioned piracy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the Info .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sniggly
Speaking strictly for myself; Armslist transactions are done in person, or not at all. No exceptions. Period.

^^^^^^^^^
Best advice you’ll get this week right there.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Armslist is sanctioned piracy.

When I read this I snickered in agreement. Sanctioned by the masses that continue their patronage of that which they suspect is...suspect.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sniggly

RUN!
Unless it’s face to face.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sold a gun on Armslist shipped to the buyers FFL. I arranged the shipping. I sent the buyer lots of extra pictures and we talked quite a bit. If anything seems to good to be true it probably is. Lots of scammers. If you’re going to have it shipped, best to have lots of communication with the seller and I’d get some references first.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The one exception is that some FFL dealers with storefronts will list on armslist. In those instances, I think you're pretty safe.

I will admit that I bought a rifle from a private seller, but I was honestly willing to roll the dice as it was something I couldn't find anywhere else. Seller was great and transaction was smooth.

Use your judgement and understand that the risk is higher.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All of the above comments are correct. I have found pictures on armslist selling guns that were posted on other sites. When contacting the parties on the other sites, they were unaware their picture had been lifted and listed for sale elsewhere. One guy was so pissed he contacted authorities.

I wouldn't rule out buying, but a thorough vetting process is certainly in order.

HM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sold one gun on Armslist and required the payment before shipping it to the guy's FFL.
I have bought guns long-distance on Armslist on just one occasion and was very spooked about doing so. The seller offered to ship them (two rifles) to my FFL and let me inspect them before sending him a check. Yeah, he was surprisingly a very trusting guy, but I had nothing to lose in such a scenario and the guns were exactly as described. I have bought smaller items such as brass and other reloading supplies on faith, however, and so far have been fortunate. You just gotta decide if you're willing to risk losing the amount of money you're sending.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
I sold a gun on Armslist shipped to the buyers FFL. I arranged the shipping. I sent the buyer lots of extra pictures and we talked quite a bit. If anything seems to good to be true it probably is. Lots of scammers. If you’re going to have it shipped, best to have lots of communication with the seller and I’d get some references first.
How do you find references for an armslist seller?

When buying on Armslist, I leave it up to the seller if they want to arrange shipping or if they want me to. By making it as easy as possible for the seller, it is less likely the seller will back out. Sometimes the seller just wants me to send a USPS money order and the UPS shipping label. Other times I have to call around their town and do all the FFL legwork. That allows the seller just drops off the firearm at the FFL after the payment clears, they don’t have to find a box or anything. Be sure the FFL is willing to give them a receipt for possession.
As long as it is legal, shipping is up to you and the seller.

I make arrangements via email or text so everything is in writing, then follow up with a phone call. Check the phone number, if it is a a non-fixed VOIP, write it off as a scam.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One trick I use is to ask for a unique picture. Was looking at a Gloss Leupold and ask for more pictures which he was able to produce. However when I ask for a picture of a dime place on the scope by the serial number he was at a loss. His question was what you mean by dime? DEAL OVER
Be safe
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something Better
747 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
STAY AWAY!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last week i replied to ad for a handgun.

Low price, figured someone in a bind due to China flu layoffs. Oilfield etc.

Email guy amd he replied about 2am. “Ready to purchase gun”. Nah homey.

He said he was in north end of state. Would rather ship to fll than meet FTF. Due to cv19. That’s plausible i guess.
I asked to see a pic of the gun and case with serial number/ born on date. All he would say was it’s new. Only 10 rds shot.

Whole thing had the scam feeling.

Bailed out. Told him adios. No need to ship inside the state.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.