Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
From Reuters news service

OTTAWA - Canada is set to announce it is banning 11 categories of assault rifles and other weapons, including those that have been used in mass shootings, a security source said on Thursday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has long promised to clamp down on firearms, citing a spike in gun crime.

Officials said the new measures - which will apply to about 125,000 weapons - had been in the works for months and were not directly prompted by a shooting rampage in Atlantic Canada earlier this month. [nL2N2CG2I9]

A gunman armed with weapons that included an assault rifle killed 22 people in Nova Scotia. Police said nine of the victims died in fires the man had set, while the rest were shot

The new ban will further tighten gun controls that are already stricter than those in the United States. The source, who requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation, said the announcement could come as soon as Friday.

"We have long been committed to strengthening gun control in this country, including banning military style-assault weapons," Trudeau told reporters on Thursday.

"There is no need in Canada for guns designed to kill the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time," he added, saying an announcement would be made in the coming days.

The news was first reported by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. A spokeswoman for Public Safety Minister Bill Blair - who has overall responsibility for gun control - declined to comment.

Among the weapons that will be outlawed are the AR-15, used by a gunman to kill 26 adults and children in the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre in the United States, and the M4, M14 and M16 assault rifles.

Other weapons on the list include the Ruger Mini-14 rifle, used in a 1989 Montreal mass shooting in which 14 women were killed, as well as carbines such as the CZ Scorpion, Beretta CX4 Storm and Swiss Arms Classic Green.

Justin Trudeau wearing a suit and tie: FILE PHOTO: Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attends a news conference in Ottawa© Reuters/Blair Gable FILE PHOTO: Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attends a news conference in Ottawa

(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Peter Cooney)

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lennie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

This is more or less the same answer as I gave to the same topic in the Canada section, however I would say as well that there is so much wrong with the story you linked I don't know where to begin.

For starters, the guy who shot the folks in Nova Scotia was not able to legally own any firearms, so had circumvented all of the current laws in order to obtain them. He also had at least two functioning cloned RCMP cruisers - which of course is also illegal...

Anyway sorry for the cut and paste, but here's the answer I gave in the Canada section.

It would appear that the current government is going to attempt to ban a number of firearms. The list in the attached link may or may not be what they're attempting to take away.

I will use the term "take" because they're apparently talking about doing a "buy back" but of course they're doing it with tax money derived from the owners of said arms, so to me that's taking.

Here's a link for what's involved with launching an appeal - any firearms owners in Canada reading this are encouraged to launch an appeal for each firearm - plug the system.....

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/page-9.html

Here is a link to the NFA's take on the situation.

https://nfa.ca/2020/01/13/upcoming-gun-bans-and-confiscations-what-to-know-and-what-to-do/

Here's a link to the CCFR who are fighting this as hard as humanly possible.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/membership-info/

Some of the arms are registered and therefore will have the owners on a "list" which can be accessed by the constabulary. Some of the arms - the Mini-14's for instance are not currently registered so they then would be theoretically tougher for the federal government to locate.

My hope is that this might get enough Canadian gun owners attention sufficient so they get involved. Many of us yet believe that as long as the government is targeting the black rifles, our hunting rifles and trap shotguns are safe.

Please note that the PM stated just yesterday "But as long as Canadians are losing their loved ones to gun violence, not enough has changed."

Call me crazy, but I read that as the Liberals, NDP and Parti Quebecois will continue taking the legally owned property of Canadians until we are disarmed.

I've been saying this for nearly 40 years folks - they want them all.

Anyway, as if they hadn't spent enough of our kid's and grandkid's tax dollars with the Covid mess, we can now add this on top.

All the best to you all out there. Stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FU Trudeau.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dwayne,

Thanks for posting the information and of course for your usual mature and polite decorum you present here on the Campfire.

I have been north of the MT. border on several occasions through the years in both BC and AB and have met wonderful people such as yourself, some of whom I call friends.

However...
It is time for you and your Canadian brothers and sisters to stop being polite. Time to make a stand and let the tyrants in Ottawa know you will not give up your guns, period. Your provincial governments need to be told the same thing.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if 9 died in fires, is Justin going to ban matches and fire wood also?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Once people realize the true purpose of government gun bans, it’ll already be too late.

Luckily, I, here on record lost every one of my guns in a boating accident a couple years ago. Hear that, ATF?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dwayne,
Your point, "Many of us yet believe that as long as the government is targeting the black rifles, our hunting rifles and trap shotguns are safe" makes sense. Although, it is essential to resist the banning of the black rifles so government can stay focused on them. Once the black rifles are gone, they will come looking for something else.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Once black rifles are banned, "sniper rifles" are next. Guess what? Your deer/elk/moose rifle is a "sniper rifle".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck and good input.

Not surprised your man child is using the covid to take away human rights.

Originally Posted by BC30cal
Lennie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

This is more or less the same answer as I gave to the same topic in the Canada section, however I would say as well that there is so much wrong with the story you linked I don't know where to begin.

For starters, the guy who shot the folks in Nova Scotia was not able to legally own any firearms, so had circumvented all of the current laws in order to obtain them. He also had at least two functioning cloned RCMP cruisers - which of course is also illegal...

Anyway sorry for the cut and paste, but here's the answer I gave in the Canada section.

It would appear that the current government is going to attempt to ban a number of firearms. The list in the attached link may or may not be what they're attempting to take away.

I will use the term "take" because they're apparently talking about doing a "buy back" but of course they're doing it with tax money derived from the owners of said arms, so to me that's taking.

Here's a link for what's involved with launching an appeal - any firearms owners in Canada reading this are encouraged to launch an appeal for each firearm - plug the system.....

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/page-9.html

Here is a link to the NFA's take on the situation.

https://nfa.ca/2020/01/13/upcoming-gun-bans-and-confiscations-what-to-know-and-what-to-do/

Here's a link to the CCFR who are fighting this as hard as humanly possible.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/membership-info/

Some of the arms are registered and therefore will have the owners on a "list" which can be accessed by the constabulary. Some of the arms - the Mini-14's for instance are not currently registered so they then would be theoretically tougher for the federal government to locate.

My hope is that this might get enough Canadian gun owners attention sufficient so they get involved. Many of us yet believe that as long as the government is targeting the black rifles, our hunting rifles and trap shotguns are safe.

Please note that the PM stated just yesterday "But as long as Canadians are losing their loved ones to gun violence, not enough has changed."

Call me crazy, but I read that as the Liberals, NDP and Parti Quebecois will continue taking the legally owned property of Canadians until we are disarmed.

I've been saying this for nearly 40 years folks - they want them all.

Anyway, as if they hadn't spent enough of our kid's and grandkid's tax dollars with the Covid mess, we can now add this on top.

All the best to you all out there. Stay well.

Dwayne

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Any members of the Commonwealth will be disarmed. Period.

The history is there and past is prologue.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But hey they are doing great when it comes to La Rona Virus.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get in lockstep. The government is here to help you.

LOL
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
According to a document obtained by Radio-Canada, the list includes:

M16, M4, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles. Those styles were used in the Sandy Hook, New Zealand, Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings. There are an estimated 83,572 in Canada.
Ruger Mini-14s, the type of firearm used in the École Polytechnique shooting. There are an estimated 16,859 in Canada.
Swiss Arms Classic Green carbines. There are an estimated 1,342 in Canada.
M14 rifles, used in the Moncton shooting. There are an estimated 5,229 in Canada.
Vz. 58 semi-automatic rifles, used in the Quebec City mosque shooting. There are an estimated 11,593 in Canada.
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbines. There are an estimated 1,813 in Canada.
Beretta CX4 Storm carbines, the type of firearm used in the Dawson College shooting. There are an estimated 1,513 in Canada.
Sig Sauer MCX and Sig MPX carbines and pistols. There are an estimated 1,000 in Canada.
Robinson Arms XCR rifles. There are an estimated 1,834 in Canada.

The list also includes two categories of firearms the government hopes to ban:

Firearms with a calibre (gun barrel diameter) of more than 20 mm. For example, a grenade launcher.
Firearms capable of producing muzzle energy of more than 10,000 joules.

Make no doubt at the end of the day , Liberals believe only the police and the military should own firearms.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Dwayne,

Thanks for posting the information and of course for your usual mature and polite decorum you present here on the Campfire.

I have been north of the MT. border on several occasions through the years in both BC and AB and have met wonderful people such as yourself, some of whom I call friends.

However...
It is time for you and your Canadian brothers and sisters to stop being polite. Time to make a stand and let the tyrants in Ottawa know you will not give up your guns, period. Your provincial governments need to be told the same thing.

SBTCO:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day in your part of the world is a good one and you're all well.

Without going into specifics online so as to incriminate anyone, myself included, I would make the following observations.

The new "hit list" is such a gong show that it includes arms like the M4 and M16 that most Canadians - barring a very few collectors and movie prop houses - could ever own anyways.

They also are wanting to take away all the .50 BMG arms by having a maximum energy ruling in jules - however that may mean that for instance the .460 Weatherby is also now in that category. Of course we've never had a crime committed by either a .50BMG rifle or a .460 Weatherby that I am aware of. Funny that they believe criminals would prefer either but I digress...

The Mini 14 looks to be included, this a nod to one of the members of the Liberal committee who is a known virulent anti-gun crusader. Concerning them specifically, I am sure I'm not the first to point out that while the AR, AK and FNFAL variants were mandatory registration arms - made so in the '90's - the Mini 14 is not. Thus they have no clue who might have one or in fact how many might be "out there in the hinterland".

While this is a Federal ruling - in my opinion because it's done as "order in council" it's unlawful so there's that - but in addition certain provinces and territories are somewhat able to decide what Federal law they will and will not enforce. Of course when that happens, it puts the Federal clowns in a bit of a pickle because it's more than low level non-compliance. It may well be for instance that Alberta's Jason Kenney and Saskatchewan's Scott Moe might opt out.

The irony would be grand if Saskatchewan did, as Regina - it's capitol - houses the training depot for the RCMP.... one can hope so anyways. Both Saskatchewan and Alberta haven't had the best relationship with Ottawa over their gross mishandling of the intentional collapse of our oil and gas industry.

As mentioned in the initial response, our firearms rights organizations are encouraging everyone who is affected to file an appeal - for each firearm please... In so doing we can shut the Federal system down for years when one does the math on how long appeals take. Please remember my fellow Canucks, stupid should hurt....

Based upon the past long gun registration fiasco, there will be mass non-compliance. While I can only speak as a western Canadian, the Canuck forums I'm on seem to finally have a good cross section of us from coast to coast who are disenchanted with our current clueless PM and his globalist minions.

During the last round - barring myself who was of course in complete compliance with all laws to the fullest extend of my abilities - I was not aware of anyone who had fully complied. Again other than myself since I'm the very paragon of virtue and believe with all my heart that the Federal government has and always have had my best interests at heart.

Perhaps I should put the above in bold font so the government forum watchdogs will catch it, you think? wink

One real wild card that nobody and I mean NOBODY is talking about is that as a group our indigenous folks are likely the most heavily armed if we were going to parse it that way. Many of them have already told the government that they can fly whatever respective kite can be obtained. Oh and many of the FN reserves are already known as sources of illegal firearms so this'll really help that little situation out a bunch....

Anyway good sir, rest assured while we might have the appearance of polite sheep, in fact the herd is busy not only undermining the railway bed, but also removing ties and taking the tracks.

Whatever the leftists thought they were going to get with this, they are absolutely in for yet another shock - but then that shouldn't be a shock for us who've typically been paying attentions.

Lastly to any of my fellow Canadian gun owners reading this and/or folks working in the pay of the Federal globalists - we know you're out there - I'll quote my new favorite verse.

Matthew 11:15 English Standard Version "He who has ears to hear, let him hear"

Thanks again, all the best to you all and stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I don't know if this particular grab will work or not, but I don't doubt that they'll get this bill or something similar through before too long. This virus thing has really opened my eyes to what is going on here in Canada, and elsewhere as well. In discussion on Canadian gun/hunting forums, its become obvious that for the most part, people are ok with government restrictions and regulations, trusting that they know what's best and have our best interests at heart. They still listen to and trust official news sources as gospel, unfortunately.

Of course when it comes to guns, the gun owners get upset that the government wants to take their guns for no good reason, which they should be. However, they don't seem to make the connection that giving the government increased amounts of power and control, allowing them to police your daily life in all sorts of ways( for the common good of course) inevitably results in them implementing laws and restrictions that you find unnecessary and overbearing. That's one thing I've noticed people across the board seem to have in common- they fight for the rights that they themselves value, but anything that doesn't really concern them too much gets a shrug. If its something that they find personally useless, unnecessary or perhaps even distasteful, they are all for laws and restrictions being put in place. When challenged on it, they mutter something about "for the common good of society", and that seems to settle it for them. Very few people here are actually in favor of real freedom. They may claim to be or even think that they are, but when it comes down to it, they only care about the freedoms that they themselves value, and to hell with everyone else. All the government needs to do is convince the majority that your activities are detrimental to society and therefore your rights need to be restricted, and next thing you know you are considered a criminal. It's not restricted to Canada by any means, either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you comply with this, all will be lost.

Keep plucking the "self defense is a human right" harp!

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by doubletap
Dwayne,
Your point, "Many of us yet believe that as long as the government is targeting the black rifles, our hunting rifles and trap shotguns are safe" makes sense. Although, it is essential to resist the banning of the black rifles so government can stay focused on them. Once the black rifles are gone, they will come looking for something else.

They'll have us down to a muzzleloader with one extra bullet and powder charge and they'll have a new law in the works to take that too .
DON"T GIVE ANOTHER .0001'' to the communist - THEIR PLAN IS TOTAL CONTROL OF US ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by doubletap
Dwayne,

They'll have us down to a muzzleloader with one extra bullet and powder charge and they'll have a new law in the works to take that too .
DON"T GIVE ANOTHER .0001'' to the communist - THEIR PLAN IS TOTAL CONTROL OF US ...
Yep - and they're demonstrating that right now via this 'virus scare' BS..... Shut down business... Lock yer doors and stay inside or we'll imprison you.. Can't get in any groups - no socializing...

Seem familiar?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
https://apple.news/Avr8HWbPySOuLCyPuHgoeKw

Beyond the fact they are doing this at all, I find this paragraph the most egregious:

“The justice minister said there will be an exception for Indigenous peoples exercising a hunting record under Section 35 of the Constitution Act, which recognizes Indigenous rights; as well as an exception for people who use one of the now-banned guns to hunt to feed themselves or their families, until they can acquire a “suitable replacement.’”

First of all, it illustrates once against that there are (more than) two systems of justice in Canada.

Secondly, one of the primary sources of illegal guns in Canada is the smuggling through indigenous reserves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold firm!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,343
Posts18,487,754
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.