-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Ok, so I have a 338-06 and want to try neck sizing my brass to see if my accuracy get better with neck sized cases and to lengthen the life of my brass. Before I order a neck die is there a way to neck size brass to see if this will help my accuracy or if my gun is shooting as good as it can (or that I can).
I have read that I can neck size by simply adjusting my FL sizing die so I only size the necks. Is this true? If so, why would I buy another die? What are the pros and cons of sizing that way? And how do I check that I am doing it right?
Secondly, if a neck die is only sizing the necks why couldn't I take my lee collet neck die for the 30.06 and replace the mandrel with one for a 338 WM or other 338 caliber?
And if I do buy neck sizing dies for the 338-06 what should I order? Is it worth the time to get the custom neck die from Lee? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I make my 338-06 brass from once fired 30-06 brass.It's cheap enough that I don't worry too much about extending the life of my cases.I tried neck sizing 30-06 brass with a Lee Collet Die about ten years ago.It was nice to just neck the brass and load,but I didn't see the accuracy I get when I full length resize,even noticed some cartridges were tight when chambered.I look back and I'm sure some brass was fired more than others,so the hardness of the brass varied greatly causing different neck tension and maybe that could have been affecting accuracy.I have decided I'd rather full length size,keep my brass in groups by the number of times fired and after about four or five firings make the decision on annealing it or if issues start showing up on numerous cases,just get rid of it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jesus just back the die off 3/4 of a turn and check to make sure the cases chamber allright.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you set the full length die correctly, that is to bump the shoulder back only about .002", then you won't have brass life issues. The rounds will also chamber smoothly the same way every time.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do exactly what math man states above. You can back your full length die out so it barely bumps the shoulder. Will chamber fine without excessive working of the brass. I try for 1-2 thousanths.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by petespistol
Ok, so I have a 338-06 and want to try neck sizing my brass to see if my accuracy get better with neck sized cases and to lengthen the life of my brass. Before I order a neck die is there a way to neck size brass to see if this will help my accuracy or if my gun is shooting as good as it can (or that I can).
I have read that I can neck size by simply adjusting my FL sizing die so I only size the necks. Is this true? If so, why would I buy another die? What are the pros and cons of sizing that way? And how do I check that I am doing it right?
Secondly, if a neck die is only sizing the necks why couldn't I take my lee collet neck die for the 30.06 and replace the mandrel with one for a 338 WM or other 338 caliber?
And if I do buy neck sizing dies for the 338-06 what should I order? Is it worth the time to get the custom neck die from Lee? Thanks!

Everyone (even the rude ones) has given correct advice.
Nobody has answered your question about getting a .338 mandrel for Lee collet die. I don't know all about how these work but that would sure be worth a call to Lee and asking them. If correct, that's a cheap and easy way to achieve what you're looking for as well (neck sizing only), as there will actually be some body sizing if you just back off the FL die to only touch the neck. Same for just touching the shoulder (though they are right that this is a great goal to adjust your die to. After a couple firings neck sized only you will probably need to bump back the shoulder anyway.)
I frequently find my loads are less concentric, which is so bad for accuracy, when I have only neck sized (in an actual neck sizing die, not a FL die backed off), but you can always adjust concentricity later with a Tru Angle tool or similar.
A good piece of advice to make your brass last longer, especially if you are necking up 30-06 or necking down .35 Whelen to make your brass, is to anneal at first and then every 3-4 firings. Lot's of guidance on 24CF on how to do that for cheap.
Minimizing the sizing as the other respondents have suggested will help case life too.

Best of luck. I own two 338-06s now and like them very much.

Cheers,
Rex

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A 338 mandrel won't work with a 30-06 collet. The radius of the circular cutout in the tips of the 30 Cal collet is too small.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Everyone (even the rude ones) has given correct advice.
Nobody has answered your question about getting a .338 mandrel for Lee collet die. I don't know all about how these work but that would sure be worth a call to Lee and asking them. If correct, that's a cheap and easy way to achieve what you're looking for as well (neck sizing only), as there will actually be some body sizing if you just back off the FL die to only touch the neck. Same for just touching the shoulder (though they are right that this is a great goal to adjust your die to. After a couple firings neck sized only you will probably need to bump back the shoulder anyway.)
I frequently find my loads are less concentric, which is so bad for accuracy, when I have only neck sized (in an actual neck sizing die, not a FL die backed off), but you can always adjust concentricity later with a Tru Angle tool or similar.
A good piece of advice to make your brass last longer, especially if you are necking up 30-06 or necking down .35 Whelen to make your brass, is to anneal at first and then every 3-4 firings. Lot's of guidance on 24CF on how to do that for cheap.
Minimizing the sizing as the other respondents have suggested will help case life too.

Best of luck. I own two 338-06s now and like them very much.

Cheers,
Rex

Damned, I didn't even see any rude comments. I didn't even post anything on this thread yet either.. I usually just shake my head and laugh... Its like watching you guys as little kids trying to jump on a spinning merrygo round and getting flung off... Funny chidt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by mathman
A 338 mandrel won't work with a 30-06 collet. The radius of the circular cutout in the tips of the 30 Cal collet is too small.

Agreed, I tried to run some 7mm Rem Mag brass thru my .264 Win Mag LCD. It didn't work.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
out of curiosity , and since i have no way of measuring, how many turns is that on a standard fl die?

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can't really figure it from the thread pitch since brass is springy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

yup, adjust it so it will just be sizing the neck... or pick up a Lee neck Collet die...

for a 338/06 body die, pick up a 35 Whelen F/L sizing die and take out the spindle and decapping pin...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
if not by thread pitch how do you do it?
i would imagine that the brass spring issue suggests that each brand and each lot of brass will be different .

thank in advance

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back the die out 1/2 dozen turns, run a case through it and see where the neck stops. You'll see a little hump. Keep turning the die in a little at a time and running the brass through. You can watch the neck ease down to the shoulder. You should be able to tell when you kiss the shoulder.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Color your case with a sharpie.

Move the die down until neck is fully resized and the body of the case isn't.

Jamison's rule of 1/4 turn of a die equaling 1/16" of an inch isn't too far off. Usually.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
If you set the full length die correctly, that is to bump the shoulder back only about .002", then you won't have brass life issues. The rounds will also chamber smoothly the same way every time.

Exactly what he said. And your accuracy will be as good or better..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,070
Posts18,501,478
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.