Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sgt217
Gretzky was a great pitcher but chose hockey after he was drafted by MLB...He turned out to be a pretty good center...

Good lacrosse player too, no?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by savatage
Hockey...

Gordie Howe
Alex Ovechkin

Basketball...

John Havlicek
Larry Bird

Football...

Joe Montana
Tom Brady

Baseball...

Babe Ruth
Ted Williams

Golf...

Bobby Jones
Jack Nicholas

It would be tough for me to pick the "best ever" from my list .
I have a soft spot for Mr. Hockey , and sure am a U of M fan though .

I just narrowed it down to Gordie Howe or Tom Brady .

And the winner is ----------------------------------------------,

Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders wink Again I cant just pick "the one" .

https://www.pinterest.ru/cangell2030/dallas-cowboy-cheerleaders/

Brady has achieved a high degree of success, but he's a pocket / system QB. HUGE skill set, but best athlete? Every D1 college team in the country has a better athlete.

Th OP was (as stupid as it is) best white athlete, not "tom success in their field"

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by hanco
Bo Jackson hands down before he ruined his hip.

He said "White Athlete"!

I was buddies with Bo at Auburn and still see him at games once every year or two or for Bo Bikes Bama. He's a good guy -really.

From an athletic standpoint, he is from another planet. Only Jim Thorpe is in same conversation. He was faster than anyone on the football team AND the track team in the 60. He could throw the football further than any QB on our roster (witnessed that). Set AL HS decathlon record while playing HS baseball - meaning he didn't practice anything but the pole vault (told me himself). Saw him broad jump a 14' ditch carrying a bow and full hunting gear with just a one step hop AFTER his hip was replaced. Bo said the only person in the NFL that ever beat him in a sprint was former Olympian and Raider teammate Wille Gault - and Gault would not give him a rematch. STories go on and on.

White- Black-Indian Asian. It's BO.

I have heard this same thing, about what a good guy he is, from someone else that knew him a little bit.

Freak athlete.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Bo Jackson hands down before he ruined his hip.

He said "White Athlete"!

I was buddies with Bo at Auburn and still see him at games once every year or two or for Bo Bikes Bama. He's a good guy -really.

From an athletic standpoint, he is from another planet. Only Jim Thorpe is in same conversation. He was faster than anyone on the football team AND the track team in the 60. He could throw the football further than any QB on our roster (witnessed that). Set AL HS decathlon record while playing HS baseball - meaning he didn't practice anything but the pole vault (told me himself). Saw him broad jump a 14' ditch carrying a bow and full hunting gear with just a one step hop AFTER his hip was replaced. Bo said the only person in the NFL that ever beat him in a sprint was former Olympian and Raider teammate Wille Gault - and Gault would not give him a rematch. STories go on and on.

White- Black-Indian Asian. It's BO.

Being a Georgia boy, I gotta throw Herschel there.

But damn, I don’t think even HW could of caught Bo in their prime. Bo was definitely a one in a million kinda athlete.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I saw that game on tv as well. Bo beat him like arented mule. Wasn’t a contest

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Being a Georgia boy, I gotta throw Herschel there.

But damn, I don’t think even HW could of caught Bo in their prime. Bo was definitely a one in a million kinda athlete.

Herschel might be from that same planet. Not humanoid for sure.
Let's not forget Herschel was on the Olympic Bobsled team. He pushed the sled.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother played at Georgia in 1976 and 1977. He was captain of the "Junkyard Dogs" and he still wears the coveted SEC Champion ring.

By 1980 he was back in Athens in law school. Yes, some of the football players can read, and write. Very few.
As a Bulldog alum he had access to the football team weight room and steam room etc. He said they have a very costly gym for football players.
So one day, brother was in the big steam room way in the back. A guy walked in, it was weird, the guy was just standing by the door, and he was wearing a sweat shirt. And what was really weird, looking through the thick steam from 15 feet away, he could see this guy was wearing shoulder pads. This the fall of 1980, he figured it was some goofball freshman recruit.

He walked over to the door to leave and to check out this weird kid. As he got to the door he saw it was Herschel Walker. He had on a sweat shirt, but he wasn't wearing shoulder pads that was just the way he was built.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Didn't read the whole thread.
But has Al Bundy been mentioned at all????

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Marciano was the best conditioned heavyweight boxer of his time. His punches in the last rounds had as much power behind them as in the first. He never ran out of steam.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Amazing stat about Gretzky.....

If you take every single one of his NHL record 894 goals away, he'd STILL be the all time leading scorer in NHL history with JUST his 1,963 assists, ahead of #2 Jagr's 1,921 TOTAL points.

He holds probably a half dozen records that will NEVER be broken.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Eric Esch, hands down.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brett Favre.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Herschel might be from that same planet. Not humanoid for sure.
Let's not forget Herschel was on the Olympic Bobsled team. He pushed the sled.

When I was a kid, Herschel Walker was signing autographs for a Fred Meyer's grand opening in Chico, Ca, from something like 2pm-4pm. I begged my mom to take me, and she did. We got there at 2PM, and the line of kids was around the store, probably twice.

I finally got to Walker around 5:30pm. I'm sure he was under no obligation to sign an autograph for *every* *last* *kid*. But he met me with a smile. I looked down and his had was swollen to hell, like a baseball was inside of it.

I still have the card, and always thought it was pretty cool he did that.

No idea if he's actually a good guy or not, but he made a fan that day.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dodgefan
You could make a pretty good TV show out of trying to find out.
Have the competitors do the NFL combine, Olympic decathlon and maybe a triatholon to top it off. Oh and some powerlifting or strongman stuff.

Don't expect to see any TV show any time soon based on race.

Mixed blood make the whole idea rather stupid.

And Jim Thorpe was voted the greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Ted Williams...maybe Jack Nicklaus.

stop right there...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Anyone say Mantle yet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I did.

MM

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mantle was from that other planet too

Gordie Howe deserves a mention. In his Detroit days he would go to Tiger stadium and take BP with the Tigers .....he and Al Kaline were buds.

Kaline was quoted as saying that Howe was good enough to play MLB at the time . On top of his physical longevity

Not bad for a white boy from Floral, Saskatchewan...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by dodgefan
You could make a pretty good TV show out of trying to find out.
Have the competitors do the NFL combine, Olympic decathlon and maybe a triatholon to top it off. Oh and some powerlifting or strongman stuff.

Don't expect to see any TV show any time soon based on race.

Mixed blood make the whole idea rather stupid.

And Jim Thorpe was voted the greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century.

I guess I didn't see the need to explain that it would be open to everyone. Holy smokes! Some peoples kids.

Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.