Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How'd you like to be a 5' 9" English man at arms and see something like that step off the Viking ship... eek

If the English guy had a longbow and a few cloth yard arrows, no problem. One dead oaf.

English longbows were later in time than the Viking invasion period.

The Anglo-Saxons and Vikings used bows of the same form as the English longbow, some made of yew, others made of elm or other timber. They were used to fire over the shield wall from the rear ranks, to rain down on the enemy behind his shield wall. There's surviving examples of yew longbows been found in Britain and continental Europe from the period, and some others dating back thousands of years.

There were quite a number of notable casualties who fell to arrows in battle in the Viking period too. A number of kings included.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back to the conversation at hand, that bloke is built like a brick sh.thouse, and no doubt could lift one of them too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by duck911
My son was telling me he read an article that said Thor will have hemorrhoids for weeks, and is checked out by an eye doctor pretty soon after the lift. I guess bloody noses are pretty common.

Dude will be dead by 45. Geez....

Saw something on youtube about weight lifting and stupid stuff like this is a big thing in Iceland...
but as you suggest the life span of the weight lifters who get heavily into this stuff, is cut short..
dying in the 30s to early 40s...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Easy to guess who's on top in that sexual relationship...

she better hope she never gets pregnant...

be like a great Dane cross with a chihuahua... the offspring would kill the mother...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I predict that before the month is out Eddie Hall will beat that weight.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
I predict that before the month is out Eddie Hall will beat that weight.

I think Eddie is done. He wants to live. This is dangerous stuff. Lifting that much takes the body past the design limits. Some people are willing to take the risk. When I was lifting very heavy (in gear), I knew I had about a 5 year window of opportunity, and explored my limits as far as bodyweight/strength. Once I peaked both at the same time, I quickly learned it was not sustainable. I instinctively knew when my limit was achieved. I think Eddie is there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I shouldn't assume,but I always look at these gigantic specimens and wonder if he took anything that helped him get this big that wasn't legal.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I know I shouldn't assume, but I always look at these gigantic specimens and wonder if he took anything that helped him get this big that wasn't legal.

He admits to steroids, it is all too common in these giants. However, he's never failed a test for competition.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26522096/got-strongman-champ-admits-steroid-use

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by FatCity67
An other worldly amount of training and genetics to achieve that, no matter how many roids your pumping.

Good for him. Hope he lives a long and happy life.

Doubtful any human has ever lived, yes even a Viking, that was ever that big and strong.

Yep. Good post.

Agreed

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wonder if these guys have surpassed the limits of human grip strength. The last deadlift over 1000 lbs without straps I can recall is Benedikt Magnusson and he did it like a boss. He pulled it easily, held it for a few seconds smiling for the cameras, then lowered it to the floor smoothly.

Last edited by sambo3006; 05/03/20.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
He already has one daughter from another women, and he and the current wife( the tiny women in the picture) are expecting already

Impressive for sure that he lifted that. I do get what others are saying though about measuring lift by size. A man who is 150 dead lifting 2.5 times his weight is impressive for sure, but I wouldn’t try to compare that to a man lifting over 1000 pounds as if it’s not that impressive. It is!

I’m 34, 5ft 6” and about 178. Need to get to about 165lbs and tone up a bunch. I can dead lift 325lbs and I really just started working out again after a long hiatus one month ago. While I feel that’s really good for my size, it’s not going to impress people like 1000 pounds.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kevinJ
He already has one daughter from another women, and he and the current wife( the tiny women in the picture) are expecting already

Impressive for sure that he lifted that. I do get what others are saying though about measuring lift by size. A man who is 150 dead lifting 2.5 times his weight is impressive for sure, but I wouldn’t try to compare that to a man lifting over 1000 pounds as if it’s not that impressive. It is!

I’m 34, 5ft 6” and about 178. Need to get to about 165lbs and tone up a bunch. I can dead lift 325lbs and I really just started working out again after a long hiatus one month ago. While I feel that’s really good for my size, it’s not going to impress people like 1000 pounds.

It simply is not a linear process. It takes an awful lot more power to get a little more weight. I was always in the drug free top ten in the world as a 181 shirted bencher, even as a master lifter . As an experiment, I tried gaining weight, and getting as strong as possible. It wasnt too hard to get to 185 or so, and 600. Getting from there, to 190 and 700 took 2 years. The difference in effort, was astonishing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I wonder if these guys have surpassed the limits of human grip strength. The last deadlift over 1000 lbs without straps I can recall is Benedikt Magnusson and he did it like a boss. He pulled it easily, held it for a few seconds smiling for the cameras, then lowered it to the floor smoothly.

Unless using a hook grip the strain on the bicep when using a mixed grip would be the end of a bicep with those weights. Strongman training is hard enough on biceps, I dont think many biceps would stand up to the strain/stretch of that very much. Straps are just safer, they have the grip strength to hold it.

Magnusson pulled it strapless with a mixed grip but he has also failed to break the 500kg barrier with a setup like Thor’s. I’m certainly not taking anything away from any of these guys. Moving these kinds of weights is beyond most people’s comprehension.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe you took me wrong, I can see it’s not a linear process. Obviously you are way more knowledgeable on this than I ever will be as you have put in the work, and have years of experience. Your lifts are crazy!

It’s just that saying his lift was not impressive( as some did because it was not 2.5 times his bodyweight) is simply not giving the credit due. It’s a world record. You need the size, genetics, lots of training, and potentially some chemical help to get to that place.

A 150lb man dead lifting 450lbs isn’t going to impress people like Thor lifting 1000

I could train all I want, and use all the chemical help I can get and never get close to this. I don’t have the genetics for this. It’s that simple. He does! And he has put in the work to get there.

I also think that a smaller weight/ framed individual who is lifting very heavy for size is impressive too. So don’t take that wrong.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I was visiting my Grandparents one summer when I was 8 years old and my 18 year old uncle was working under his '48 Ford. He had the rear end jacked up with blocks under one side and a bumper jack holding up the other side. The Ford fell of the jack and blocks onto to my uncle and he started hollering. His older brother who was 25 at the time was on home a leave from the Navy grabbed the bumper and picked the Ford up off of him while my Grandfather drug him out. Other than some minor cuts and bruises the younger uncle was fine. I have no idea what the rear end of a '48 Ford weighs but I was impressed that my uncle could pick it up.

Last edited by victoro; 05/03/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some don't seem to understand how relative strength scales with size. Ants carry around something like fifty times their weight.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ironically before he got into the strongman stuff he started off as a basketball player.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Some don't seem to understand how relative strength scales with size. Ants carry around something like fifty times their weight.

Hey! Just like Ringman!

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
On the drug tests most of the pro strongman contests only tests for stimulants, they don’t want someone dropping dead on tv from taking too much speed but don’t really care about steroids

As to Eddie Hall taking the record back, he looks likes he’s lost 100 pounds or so in the last year, he’s talked of making a run at the bench press record but I think he’s done for good unless he puts the weight back on which he doesn’t appear to want to do

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Kellywk
On the drug tests most of the pro strongman contests only tests for stimulants, they don’t want someone dropping dead on tv from taking too much speed but don’t really care about steroids

As to Eddie Hall taking the record back, he looks likes he’s lost 100 pounds or so in the last year, he’s talked of making a run at the bench press record but I think he’s done for good unless he puts the weight back on which he doesn’t appear to want to do

In those pics, there is a massive difference from 2009 - 2015. Even bigger now. I bet he discovered steroids in 2010.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.