Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So am finally making cases for both the 351 an 401, using old load data, on the 351 with 180 grain jacketed bullet I have loaded in steps up to 19 grains of IMR4227 and the 401 I have loaded up to 29 rains of IMR4227 with the 200 grain jacketed bullet, I looked through old books up to newer editions and it appears the data when using this powder in other calibers did not change much, some even went up a smidge, so my theory is these old loads should still be pretty safe, but again I started low and worked up to the higher level, once I can see better and the ranges open up I will be able to see how it goes.
Anyone else load for obsolete calibers and have to work up loas based on long out of print sources

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have done so for those two rounds myself as well as with several old Winchester rounds including the 6mm Lee/Navy and a number of European rounds back in the pre-Internet Dark Ages. Phil Sharpe's books were helpful as we're old Lyman manuals. Cartridges of the World and an old book on cartridge conversions also helped a lot with some basic loads. When I first got into the 303 Savage and Remington's 25, 30, and 32 rounds I did much the same as I didn't know at the time how similar they were to common Winchester rounds.

As an aside, have you seen Mike Venturino's article on the 351 WSL in Handloader Magazine a couple years back? In it he discusses using Accurate 5744 in that cartridge and gives a general mention on using it in other places.

Also, what are you using for your 401 brass? I want to make more of my own one of these days. I have brass on hand made by others out of both 35 Rem and 7.62x39. I don't have forming dies but do have reloading dies. I'm tempted to fire form some 7.62x32 brass but not sure that will work.

I'm not much for technical knowledge or ability but I do my best to research and think before undertaking a project. So far I have not harmed myself nor a firearm but I'd be surprised if I haven't occasionally fallen into the ignorance is blis category.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Donnelly says to use 9.3x72R brass for making .401 SL.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I have done so for those two rounds myself as well as with several old Winchester rounds including the 6mm Lee/Navy and a number of European rounds back in the pre-Internet Dark Ages. Phil Sharpe's books were helpful as we're old Lyman manuals. Cartridges of the World and an old book on cartridge conversions also helped a lot with some basic loads. When I first got into the 303 Savage and Remington's 25, 30, and 32 rounds I did much the same as I didn't know at the time how similar they were to common Winchester rounds.

As an aside, have you seen Mike Venturino's article on the 351 WSL in Handloader Magazine a couple years back? In it he discusses using Accurate 5744 in that cartridge and gives a general mention on using it in other places.

Also, what are you using for your 401 brass? I want to make more of my own one of these days. I have brass on hand made by others out of both 35 Rem and 7.62x39. I don't have forming dies but do have reloading dies. I'm tempted to fire form some 7.62x32 brass but not sure that will work.

I'm not much for technical knowledge or ability but I do my best to research and think before undertaking a project. So far I have not harmed myself nor a firearm but I'd be surprised if I haven't occasionally fallen into the ignorance is blis category.

I have used some 7.62x39, but have not finished them, I think they need fire forming to be good, have ordered some from the states made from 7.62x39 by an outfit down there, will compare to my effort, but I also picked up 414 super mag brass and that seems to be the easiest way to make them, I trim to length, and trim down rim on a drill press or hand held drill.
I also ordered some 6.5 grendell basic brass to try, it is a straight wall that can be made into various bottle neck cartridges, but I am going to use as straight wall.
for my 351 I bought Jamison brass when available years ago, but have now been playing with 360 dan wesson brass, that you just have to trim to length and reduce the rim, they look not bad, but only shooting will tell how successful I am going to be.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both, but have never loaded for the .351. My factory stash is down to one full box so I need to break down and get the stuff to load it. My first .401 was stolen 20 years ago. I replaced it several years ago but it needs some attention so I haven't done much with it. The last box of handloads I loaded shows 31 grs of 4227 with the 200gr bullet.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I have both, but have never loaded for the .351. My factory stash is down to one full box so I need to break down and get the stuff to load it. My first .401 was stolen 20 years ago. I replaced it several years ago but it needs some attention so I haven't done much with it. The last box of handloads I loaded shows 31 grs of 4227 with the 200gr bullet.

good info, thanks, i stopped at 29, but have not fired any, so may be able to go up in the 401

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well went on a deer hunt, never saw any deer, but took the time to shoot the 401 winchester, used the 27 grain loads, 28 grains and the 29 grain loads of 4227 with 200 grain jacketed bullets, did not fire the 30 grain loads, i think that might be too much in the old gun, she sure has a solid thump when you pull the trigger, all my homemade case using 6.5 grendel basic brass, 414 super mag brass, and modified 7.62x39 worked fine, and had some newly manufactured proper 401 head stamped cases a us manufacturer and they all functioned and ejected, so was good to use the old gun again, but the crack in that fragile forend did get bigger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.