Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
444Matt Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any do a build off the 1640 Husqvarna action? Would love to see and hear about your rifle.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've seen some beauties out there, looking forward to the responses.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have some interest in this thread too. I would like to see what folks have done using this action as the base for a custom/semi-custom build. I recently picked up a Husqvarna 1651 and am giving some thought to having it re-finished and re-stocked, although this would be far from a full custom build.

I have not seen the selection of aftermarket parts for the Husky's and wonder about how much compatibility they have with more mainstream Mauser 98 components.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve showed this a bunch. It’s a 1640 built by Iver Henriksen years ago. It’s marked 25 Niedner. I need to get a gloss scope on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/05/20.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a 1640 in 9.3x62 and have lightly customized it. It's a great, smooth, solid action, but there are some drawbacks.

1. I don't like the trigger and safety system compared to a Mauser 98. It just feels cheap by comparison and mine constantly engaged itself (locking the bolt) under recoil. My fix was to use an FN commercial 98 bolt shroud and flag safety with a timney trigger. You could use a timney with a built in safety and the stock shroud, but I personally find that amateurish as it doesn't lock the bolt and looks out of place. I cringe when I see high dollar custom rifles with the timney safety sticking up.

2. Stock options are tricky. They're not impossible, and there are semi-inletted stocks out there. You can also use a small ring 98 stock modified to fit. A large ring can be made to fit, but there will be gaps around the receiver ring. Mine is glass bedded into a large ring stock. Looks shabby, but shoots well.

3. Bottom metal is not interchangeable with a 98 and most are aluminum. There are steel units, but they're a bit cruder than a commercial mauser or argentine 09.

I'll see if I have any pics of mine.

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My only Husky, and it’s a rare high comb LW sporter. 3 position safety and Timney trigger have been added.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 05/06/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I remember that one. Z1r got me onto these rifles after swapping some emails. I now have 2 undrilled untapped 146s in 9.3x57. They are gorgeous rifles and smooth as a polished ruby. I want to make another 9.3 and use one of the barrels as a contour to be duplicated for the project. Wonderful rifles!

The way life should be.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful rifles Gents! Sakohunter264, did not know they offered that stock, that's the way I would go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MTDan
I have a 1640 in 9.3x62 and have lightly customized it. It's a great, smooth, solid action, but there are some drawbacks.

1. I don't like the trigger and safety system compared to a Mauser 98. It just feels cheap by comparison and mine constantly engaged itself (locking the bolt) under recoil.

This happens when the safety is incorrectly assembled. If the safety spring tab is on the wrong side of the pin it doesn't have the correct tension and can move under recoil, and also has some wiggle when disengaged.

IC B3

444Matt Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some beautiful rifles gents! I recently made a deal on a 30-06 1600 that’s had the following done to it:

I sent the barreled action to NOVA Firearms who Cerakote the metal in a black matte finish and installed a Huber trigger set at 2.5 lbs. The front sight insert is a sourdough with a brass insert and the hood was opened up to allow light in. The front sight ramp is a slightly different color for some reason, but is close to the same color as the barrel. A Superior Shooting Speedlock Firing Pin Kit by Tubbs was installed. The wood stock was glass bedded, the barrel free floated and a 1-inch black Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed. The wood stock was slimed down, checkered and Schnabel tip was carved in it. The stock was then sealed and painted in a camo pattern.

I mounted Weaver Grand Slam steel 2-piece mounts, Quick Detachable rings, and a Swarovski Nova 3-9X36 scope.

I may look into replacing the stock with a edge fill McMillian if possible. At first I’ll be removing the paint job on the stock and refinishing it. I may leave it alone after that I’m not sure. This thread has showed me some beautiful wood, anyone have a synthetic stick on there’s?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was 15 I saved my money from working summers and bought this one from the widow of my grandfather's best friend; my first CF rifle. Husky H-5000 7mm Rem. Mag. I shortened the stock and added a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator, and I also stoned and polished the trigger so that it breaks at a nice, consistent 2 lbs 3 oz. Glenn bedded the action into the stock, and I proceeded to shoot the barrel out on all sorts of critters and rocks/milk jugs. It sat for a while waiting to be refurbished. The original barrel was 21.5", and the rifle always balanced just a little bit too rearward for my taste. Recently I had a JC Custom SS 8" twist barrel installed with as close to a contour dupe as possible, giving measurements remotely by email. Chambered in 7mm Rem Mag once again and finished at 24". Graphite Black Cerakote was applied to the barrel and all parts that were originally blued. Barrel fitting and Cerakote work was done by a local 'smith: Rob McLeod at Kaber Arms. I decided to FL bed the newly barreled action into the stock, given how little stock material was remaining on the forend after opening up the channel for the slightly heavier barrel contour. I used AG Gel and tinted it brown to match the wood colour fairly closely, and beveled it to make it a little less conspicuous. Seems to shoot the 180 ELD pretty well right out the gate, and I'm working up a load with the 145 LRX for it, as well. Some may not agree with my choice of scope, but the rifle used to nail milk jugs and critters out to 600 yards using an old Bushnell Yardage Pro RF, and Kentucky windage using the Duplex reticle in a B&L Balvar 2.5-10x, so the new glass makes such shooting much easier. I'm pretty happy to have the rig up and running once again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jordon, great history on that husky! Nice looking rifle, that shoots well!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jordon, great history on that husky! Nice looking rifle, that shoots well! Great feedback on your barrel maker too!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a link to my Husky restoration project.

Those guns are slick and generally very accurate. This one is both.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Jordon, great history on that husky! Nice looking rifle, that shoots well! Great feedback on your barrel maker too!

Thanks, Pat! I was going for a look that brought it back as close to factory as possible, minus the barrel length and iron sights. Rob does great work, and JC's barrels seems to shoot too! This old Husky would be the last rifle to ever leave my stable, that's for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the week's been okay for you folks thus far and this finds you all well as can be.

Thanks for sharing the photos and story about your Husky, that's a beauty as well as a very functional arm! cool

As I believe you know about me sir, I tinker a wee bit with various types of arms and different manufacturers of course then too. In my opinion the Swedes fit and finish in their metal work was second to none really. They didn't need to tip their hat to anyone else in Europe, Great Britain or Japan - again in my view.

Used Husky's out here in BC are still a real sleeper bargain and every one that I've had come through my shop ended up being a much better than average shooter.

Anyway sir, that's just the opinion of one semi-old gun tinkerer and that and a few toonies would buy us some double doubles at a takeout window - not much more!

All the best to you all sir - if you ever make it across the big hills please don't hesitate to give me a shout if you're inclined.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Dwayne! I tend to agree on Swedish fit and finish. I call this model the original mountain rifle, and these old Huskys really were ahead of their time in some ways.

Will do. Take care, and I hope you and yours are all well and good.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had one in the works for a few years. Unfortunately, the first gunsmith didn't work out. Took a while to get the parts returned. Sent it off to Mark Penrod and waiting for him to get back with his recommendations.

I bought a well used but not too abused 1640 with aluminum bottom metal and a McMillan Mark X, edge fill. Plan was to re-barrel with a SS barrel that pretty much matches the factory contour with 0.6 at a 24 inch muzzle and chambered with a 7x57 Match reamer. Factory trigger was pretty good and would get a tune up. Final step was to Cerakote in midnight blue.

I have a few more in 30-06 and 6.5x55 that will likely remain blue and walnut but get refinished and minor upgrades.

I have a 98 in 9.3x62 that was bubba'd (not sure that is the proper term for Swedish garage gunsmith hacks) and is a future semi-custom project

Lot's of love for the Husqvarna's!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Very nice rifles fellas! If I ever buy another wood/blued rifle it will be a Husqvarna, preference being a 6.5x55.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,364
Posts18,488,108
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.