-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A pic from my lease near Dryden last year. 3 lions in the pic. I've been trying to kill one ever since. Time and date is incorrect. Camera won't hold time and date, but the pic was taken sometime in Feb. 2019.

[Linked Image]

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hard to see one in the daylight from what I’ve been told. I’ve seen 3 or 4? All at night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DubThomas
A pic from my lease near Dryden last year. 3 lions in the pic. I've been trying to kill one ever since. Time and date is incorrect. Camera won't hold time and date, but the pic was taken sometime in Feb. 2019.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a decent cat...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mom and two nearly grown kids I'd guess.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen two during daylight hours and took a shot at one in south Texas and missed. The other crossed in front of me on US 87 between McCamey and Ft. Stockton at sundown. He stopped when he got to the fence. I was rolling my window down, slamming on the brakes and trying to get my service pistol out from under the seat of my truck all at one time. About the time the truck stopped rolling, he hauled arse off through the fence and disappeared in the brush.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Only way to hunt cougars, Get a dog pack.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I've seen two during daylight hours and took a shot at one in south Texas and missed. The other crossed in front of me on US 87 between McCamey and Ft. Stockton at sundown. He stopped when he got to the fence. I was rolling my window down, slamming on the brakes and trying to get my service pistol out from under the seat of my truck all at one time. About the time the truck stopped rolling, he hauled arse off through the fence and disappeared in the brush.

Nice photo, Dub!

Go get 'em!

They make a really, really wide circle. May be awhile before you see them again, or might be next week.

I shot a female lion west of Dryden back in the early 80's. It was eating a pretty small calf right past the bar ditch over the fence.

Took that lion and calf to the rancher and woke him up. He was grateful! A hundred dollar bill grateful... That was a ton of money for me back then.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A small town about 15 miles from me had one wandering around a residential area last week. That's a long ways from the hills, all farm land. The Fish & Game was keeping track of it but it was getting too aggressive and they had to kill it. People would try to chase it away and it would approach them snarling. Time to go, kitty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had one at full draw when I was archery elk hunting in Montana once with no tag. I let down and it stared at me at 20 yards for about 5 seconds and then ran. I have regretted that moment for years.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Buddy of mine from NM was watching a waterhole near Queens years ago for deer in archery season.

One came in to water and he drilled it. He kept sitting and waiting for a deer. After a while, another lion came in and he drilled it.

No lion tag so he left 2 dead lions there.

He did kill a really big muley on the Pecos off BLM land. A year or so later he killed about a state record class antelope archery hunting. He left the head with a small time taxidermist in Jal or some such where a guy had brought in a humongous archery killed bull elk.

Someone broke into the place and stole both the record book lope and elk head.

He gave up bow hunting big game after that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dayom. I used to hunt down there on the First National Bank lease 35 years ago. Wish I had been able to get one.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make any side trips to Acuña...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
No, was there hunting with my in laws and first ex-wife. Made two trips. Caught some big cats out of a beautiful hole on the Pecos. Killed a huge 10 point buck. About a 16 inch spread and probly weighed all of 80 lbs dressed.

They had those little flag deer. Doe would be about 2.5 ft high at the shoulder. One came out by me after we rocked a canyon. I thot it was a fawn just past having spots, then its fawn stepped out.

I dont think that country has any big deer. FIL at the time said there were. It was bown river a ways from the crossing and on the west side of the river. Camp house was an old ranch house.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lions turn up inside the city limits on the North Side fairly regular, they have been on Camp Bullis forever. I've heard 'em twice and seen and smelt where one had marked over the last twenty years on the trails in a park up against Camp Bullis at night. That's actually quite a lot considering I've prob'ly walked those trails at night only about 100 times over the years and the chances of me actually hearing any lion present are minimal.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wounded one with a .223 while spotlighting years ago. Shortly after the shot a storm rolled over and poured rain so no chance of following blood.

I've seen and shot dozens, maybe hundreds of coyotes and bobcats while spotlighting. This was different. I kick myself for not grabbing my favorite. 270 that night. The .223 was shooting a little higher than it was supposed to be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.