-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I've been hunting with (yup) a Browning A-Bolt 300 Winmag for 14 years that is the first firearm I ever purchased with my own money @ 19 years old...Its been perfect for me, killing every elk, deer or antelope I've ever pointed it at. After too much time with Rifle/Handloader/Successful Hunter and this site, I think its time to start looking at my first custom rifle. (I spend most of my money on really tricked waterfowl shotguns and decoys)
Im "needing" a lightweight (22") 30.06. I dont have huge amounts of $$$, but would like a nice rifle in the usual campfire McMillan/Leupold 2.5-8 vx III setup.
I recently was handling a Ruger Hawkeye, and really liked it. How come folks seem hesitant with Rugers around here? I love Model 70 rifles, but good "classic" donor rifles seem pretty pricey. Im also impressed with the CZ stuff, but not sure how light of weight rifle I can get with that package. Thanks for replies and just want you guys to know what poor influences you are on my checkbook!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
plenty of Ruger fans on this site.......cheapest and easiest way to a lightish weight hunting rifle and have something really good is prolly go the Rem 700 route and have Mickey screw it together for yah........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A good used Ruger is a fine platform for a custom. The qualms I'v heard have regarded the angled recoil lug, and the cast construction. Neither are an issue to me. I have a 500 Linebaugh built on the cast Ruger frame and it shows now signs of vaporizing for not having been lovingly machined. The recoil lug can be a problem with bedding and stocking, but giving the work over to someone who knows what they're doing solves that problem. Most would tune or replace the trigger, the scope mounts are good to go. Find a $350 77 MII somewhere and you're set. For my money, and if you're not into weather proof finishes, a blued M77II with color case hardened rings and hardware, engraved floor plate and NECG sights would be very slick. Set it up in an English walnut stock.

I'm not familiar with light weight rifles, but a CZ is definitely not that, nor is a Ruger. Ruger's integral scope mounts and squarish look preclude it from being a lightweight and the CZ has the same characteristic. But who needs light weight? How often are you sheep hunting?

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/12/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With a featherweight contour bbl and a McMillan about the lightest you can get a Ruger would be about 7.5#. If that's light enough, full speed ahead!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Not to derail this thread, but how did you trick out your waterfowl shotgun? I shoot a Binelli M1 super90 and love it !

If your wife is not mad at you, your just not fishing enough!
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
To me, the heart of a custom rifle project is the barreling. Just putting a stock like a McMillan on a factory barreled action feels like misplaced priorities. It is still going to function much like a properly bedded factory stock (cool factor notwithstanding).

But the custom barrel allows you to change cartridge, contour (which in turn determines weight and balance), twist, length/velocity, neck diamter, throating depth. Good custom tubes clean up so much easier than most factory guns. They will also be more accurate with more different kinds of loads--the "tuning" becomes much easier. It is the first place to start, in my book.

There are a bunch of sources of good barrels, and fine gunsmiths to do the work. But start by spending the $500-600 on a good barrel and installation.

To me the choice of actions is the age-old Ford v Chevy v Dodge problem, and I tire of it. My projects have been on Remingtons, Winchesters, Mausers, and one Stolle. I don't think the resale on a Ruger-based custom will be as good, but resale should be the least of your criteria.

I doubt I need to tell you that you stand at the edge of a very slippery slope.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
MTGH,

If you want a custom rifle and light weight, you are asking for a New Ultra Light Arms rifle. I have an '06 building with them now. If you check their website there are some good specs and pictures.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Jim--
I think a NULA busts his budget constraints.

(But if it doesn't, I thik it warrants serious consideration.)

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys...I often dream of an NULA 30.06 AI, and plan on one eventually. Just got some bills in the way between now and then....
Anyways, appreciated the suggestions! Not necessarily set on a Ruger, have had good luck with freinds rifles, and seem like I'd have a little more $$$ to play with, rather than buying and expensive M70 donor, or delving into the Mauser world.

Thanks

Bob

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mtgreenheads
Not necessarily set on a Ruger, have had good luck with freinds rifles, and seem like I'd have a little more $$$ to play with, rather than buying and expensive M70 donor, or delving into the Mauser world.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

If you have your heart set on a Model 70, just wait until you find a deal. There was an unfired Model 70 Classic in 270 here on the classifieds recently for $600! Hardly any more than a Ruger 77 these days.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think if you are looking to shave ounces, you may consider going with a .308 win instead of the 30-06. Rem M7 action comes to mind. A modern 30-06 really comes close to the performance of the 300 Mag which you already have. You can also buy Howa barreled actions which can be had slightly cheaper than the stocked gun. What are you looking at for overall weight?

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
buy a rem Ti in 30-06 and live happily ever after.....

I can't spell... Deal with it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,987
Posts18,499,869
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.