Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? The meat we've got is OK but the fat tastes like dirt. This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished. If you're the Worcestershire well done steak sauce type that is OK, but not for me. That's why I trim fat off venison.

We have the same issue here with local producers. Unless the burger is cooked/burned to "well", I can't eat it. A local restaurant serves it in their burgers so I have to order a chicken sandwich.
This "grass fed " label is a marketing stunt. What the hell do the other cows eat?......sawdust? A few years ago, we had a f___ton of moose meat to process so we took the burger to a local shop
with a great reputation and they took the liberty of grinding 10% of their local beef fat into our burger. They ruined several hundred pounds of good moose meat.

Local farmers grow barley successfully.....is that good for fattening a beef and if so, how long should they be on the barley? No corn here and very little oats.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? The meat we've got is OK but the fat tastes like dirt. This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished. If you're the Worcestershire well done steak sauce type that is OK, but not for me. That's why I trim fat off venison.

Grass fed and grain finished shouldn't taste like dirt. Critters taste like what they eat, so it wasn't fed out correctly. I've finished lambs that tasted like the most tender beef you have ever had. Don't expect that from any store bought cuts though.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wow and I thought I was strange for thinking wild turkeys tasted like river bottom mud. (Sort of the reason myself and renegade make dog meat out of them)

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VernAK

This "grass fed " label is a marketing stunt. What the hell do the other cows eat?......sawdust?

Holy schidt! This made me laugh!

laugh

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I picture a cow laying in a wood shop chewing it's cud, saw dust on it's lips and nose. hahhaha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Off topic but...

My source is a cow/calf operation. He raises them on grass and hay. And feeds them twice a day on corn silage and ground corn and oats. The flavor is outstanding. I'd look for someone that does similar or finishes them with barley like Big Jim does.

and that is what i am looking for......we will see if jim is interested......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wow and I thought I was strange for thinking wild turkeys tasted like river bottom mud. (Sort of the reason myself and renegade make dog meat out of them)

The ones around here taste like the ones from the store, just a smaller. But we shoot jakes and hens and leave the big toms for someone else laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Still $1,200 - $1,400 for a half, butchered and wrapped here.

If it drops below $1,000 I'd be a buyer but there doesn't seem to be a supply and demand issue here, which is good for the ranchers.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll sell you one for $2,000. It’s PRIMO !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by cowman
Our local butcher is booked through December, we have plenty of beef if you can do it yourself or haul away...

That’s pretty much the situation around here.

One shop is stopping all their custom butchering. They were all backed up before that. Now it’s worse. We have appointments for 6-8 hogs early this fall. We get those slots a year in advance.

The place I take my steers to is now backed up till the end of the year also. I called the other day and made appointments for 16, two month old calves I have out in the pasture right now for April and May of 2021.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
There used to be a butcher shop in about every town around here. I can think of maybe three now. And, as said, they charge more, and can not pick up an animal at the farm.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just saw a message from one plant about 100 miles away that we’ve used and they said their first opening to butcher cattle or pigs is in early December.

THAT’S 7 MONTHS OUT!

That plant in particular is for sale if anyone is looking for a business to buy that has plenty of work lined up.

Montana MOFO
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like a great time to get a butcher shop/slaughter operation up and running.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mmm where’s the beef??

Upped my post count

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Small operations can’t keep up with the food police.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wish they bred cows to yield all ribeyes!! 😂😂😂

I bought 1/2 beef (1) time, over 60% burger. Never again.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just bought a cow for $1,400. We have to pay to have it killed and butchered, wrapped and frozen. Total cost estimated to be under $1,900. Three of us are sharing the estimated 500 pounds of meat. We have to wait 90 days to pick it up. I thought that was a good price and from what we are hearing, a short wait.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
I wish they bred cows to yield all ribeyes!! 😂😂😂

I bought 1/2 beef (1) time, over 60% burger. Never again.

I did that before, seemed like I ended up with a cordwood pile of bagged tubes. I was a 4-H bovine though. You could taste the brushing and pampering. lol

I think the toothless wonders at the packing house kept a few ribeyes back for their trouble.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, it all depends on the quality of the beef and the instructions you give the processor. Bring in a dried up old cow and it's a different story than a 2 year old corn finished steer. And what do you like to cook. I prefer roasts and chili/stew meat so I never grind venison. (And adjust cooking method to the age of the animal.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
well...bit of a bump I guess.

Hope Bob sees it.

We have selected some steers to put in our fat pen.

10 of em.

We finish our own beef with full feed barley.

So......we bought a big expensive feed grinder! Its currently north of Glasgow like 60 miles.

We think it will take at least 200 days.

We have no ieea. We don't ever really keep track on our own.

We don't even know what our costs will be. We know that barley is cheap...and want to grow some.

I dont suppose these will be economical beef!

Looking to feed hogs too.

Anyway..........we have started out.

No idea where we are going...but there is no sense in being late!

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,790
Posts18,515,999
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.