Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Trigger pull on my Remington 581-S .22cal rifle is way too heavy. Could someone recommend a good gunsmith that would work on this trigger to lighten the pull?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Brian Voelker in Iowa works on Remington 22's, or at least did. He should be on the web in search.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may want to check with Timney, but I would bet this would work in your rifle.

https://timneytriggers.com/remington-788/

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys. I will have to check those options out.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brian is tops and I think he will still do the modifications - the Timney 788 trigger will work with slight modification to the safety - there are very good tutorials on the internet and if you have any mechanical ability it’s not too hard!

I have a 540X that Brian did the trigger work on and he is first class and I’ve done a few 788s for the 580 series rifles and like I said they aren’t that difficult.

Great little rifles - but the triggers are definitely the weak link!

PennDog

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by PennDog
Brian is tops and I think he will still do the modifications - the Timney 788 trigger will work with slight modification to the safety - there are very good tutorials on the internet and if you have any mechanical ability it’s not too hard!

I have a 540X that Brian did the trigger work on and he is first class and I’ve done a few 788s for the 580 series rifles and like I said they aren’t that difficult.

Great little rifles - but the triggers are definitely the weak link!

PennDog

PennDog, I sent you a PM

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by barm
You may want to check with Timney, but I would bet this would work in your rifle.

The 788 trigger will indeed work on the 581, even a Left Hand 581. smile However, at least for the Left Hand 581, required the removal of a bit of stock material to clear the safety in the full rearward "Safe" position.

Apart from the clearance for the safety, I had to do one tweak. There is a pin that sticks up on the top forward part of the trigger. It prevents the bolt handle from rotating down until the bolt body is fully forward. On my 581 trigger, that pin is round. Moving the bolt forward and then rotating down can be done in one smooth motion. The pin on the 788 trigger was square. It required a very deliberate two step process of (1) push the bolt all the way forward. THEN, push bolt handle down into battery. I spent about 20-30 minutes with a fine file putting a chamfer/radius on the offending corner of that guide pin until it functioned smoothly like the original.

Not a pure "drop in" for me. But, WELL worth the time and $$$'s for the final trigger pull...

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by barm

The 788 trigger will indeed work on the 581, even a Left Hand 581. smile However, at least for the Left Hand 581, required the removal of a bit of stock material to clear the safety in the full rearward "Safe" position.

Apart from the clearance for the safety, I had to do one tweak. There is a pin that sticks up on the top forward part of the trigger. It prevents the bolt handle from rotating down until the bolt body is fully forward. On my 581 trigger, that pin is round. Moving the bolt forward and then rotating down can be done in one smooth motion. The pin on the 788 trigger was square. It required a very deliberate two step process of (1) push the bolt all the way forward. THEN, push bolt handle down into battery. I spent about 20-30 minutes with a fine file putting a chamfer/radius on the offending corner of that guide pin until it functioned smoothly like the original.

Not a pure "drop in" for me. But, WELL worth the time and $$$'s for the final trigger pull...

Thanks for the information. I think using the 788 trigger is the way I am going to go. With regard to the bolt stop pin. In addition to the chamfering, did you need to file it down to shorten the height too? Thanks, Gary

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
... Thanks for the information. I think using the 788 trigger is the way I am going to go. With regard to the bolt stop pin. In addition to the chamfering, did you need to file it down to shorten the height too? Thanks, Gary

Hmmm... I do not recall having to reduce the height. Only round off one or two corners to allow a single smooth "forward and down" motion.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I changed out the spring in mine, nice trigger now....nothing else done.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What pull weight did you end up with? The articles I've read from people who have just replaced the spring report a trigger pulls of over 4 pounds. I want to be closer to 3. My rifle now with the original factory trigger is over max on my pull gauge but I'm guessing it is around 6 pounds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,681
Posts18,513,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.