Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Filled 'er up to the top and ho lee chit them fuggers are comin' in by the flocks. Some I haven't seen before . Cool.

Crows are tryin' to muscle in tho'.

Time to dig out some wadcutters for the Python ! laugh

Fuuk the neighbors it's noon.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A bird feeder is great entertainment with a good pellet rifle!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have 2 outside the kitchen window and enjoy watching the birds. The area that I live in is where John James Audubon roamed and collected his specimens for his drawings. We have lots and lots of birds of many types.

One of these feeders is metal and pretty much squirrel proof. Last week in the late afternoon I heard the metal one making a loud clanging sound and went to look. It was a big whitetail doe raring up and kicking it with her front paw and then eating the fallen seeds off of the ground. I just let her have at it till she mosyed off.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
A bird feeder is great entertainment with a good pellet rifle!

Yep

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would expect rose-breasted grosbeaks are a given, they return in droves from the Tropics this time of year, nest inside woodlands. Males are black and white with rose-colored bib, females are brown like big sparrows. Grosbeaks are close to robin size.

Last week on the coast there were thousands of indigo buntings everywhere, likewise coming up from the Tropics. There are so many indigo buntings that you could walk from East Texas to Nova Scotia in summer and never be out of earshot of a singing male. Males are an intense dark blue (a huge UV component in their color makes 'em look brighter), first year males a blotchy blue and dark brown, females dark brown, look like small sparrows.

If you put out orange halves (usually pressed onto a nail sticking out of a tree or branch) you will get orioles and catbirds cool

Beautiful time of year in WVA I'll bet cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We’ve got beau coup of the grosbeaks. Always see them in pairs like the red birds.

Haven’t seen my two gobblers and several hens for a long while now.

Years back I planted 6 Live Oak trees and they’ve really taken off. Each one has a mockingbird nest in and they’re always occupied. One Ole Gal will knock your ball cap off when trimming beneath that tree. If she weighed ten lbs., I’d wear a motorcycle helmet when around that tree.

Lots of resident doves and several flocks of Canadian geese are nearby. The geese fly over my place every evening right before dark, very vocal. In the winter I plant rye and oats along the back of the property and geese come regularly for that.

Got several owls nearby that get tuned up most nights but especially so when there’s a full moon.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Lots of resident doves and several flocks of Canadian geese are nearby. The geese fly over my place every evening right before dark, very vocal.

Egyptian geese are rapidly increasing here, seen 'em first maybe five years back, prob'ly gonna be the next PITA waterfowl.

The continuing decline of our nation crazy

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't get me wrong, I don't hit every bird that comes to feed. What I consider trash birds get the hit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anything non-native is fair game.

Anything else its best not to brag on.

IC B3

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I would expect rose-breasted grosbeaks are a given,

Saw several.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ros.....69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I have 2 outside the kitchen window and enjoy watching the birds. The area that I live in is where John James Audubon roamed and collected his specimens for his drawings. We have lots and lots of birds of many types.

Remember the ivory-billed woodpecker frenzy some years back, lol/ I think it was more up in the Cache River area of Arkansas.... but I think the last true sightings were in the Atchafalaya Basin many decades ago now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Remember the ivory-billed woodpecker frenzy some years back, lol/ I think it was more up in the Cache River area of Arkansas.... but I think the last true sightings were in the Atchafalaya Basin many decades ago now.

I took the 2004 (?) White River one seriously, ya its easy to rag on "Scientists" but as a lifelong birder I believe the three (??) eyewitness accounts by the original discoverer and the two Cornell University guys. It'd be just about impossible to misidentify a pileated as an ivory bill. I don't need the video.

I think the Cache River sighting a few years earlier was by a Grad student turkey hunting who had a pair right in front of him.

IIRC ivory-bills were about like parrots in that they could live for thirty years pretty easy. If those sighting I mentioned were legit, very likely the same bird, prob'ly lost the female by the second sighting.

Hardly mattered anyway, with so few birds the species was already lost.

Others' MMV.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 05/06/20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I would expect rose-breasted grosbeaks are a given,

Saw several.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ros.....69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Listen to the song on that link.

Pretty soon you'll start hearing it in the forest canopy, described as sounding like a robin that drank too much coffee smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.audubon.org/news/possib...-footage-breathes-life-extinction-debate

short videos, for sure. I would like to believe there are a few left. Cuba was thought to be a possible refuge area for a long time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kid0917
https://www.audubon.org/news/possib...-footage-breathes-life-extinction-debate

short videos, for sure. I would like to believe there are a few left. Cuba was thought to be a possible refuge area for a long time.

Tks for the link.

You probably already read the 2016 blog from the two guys in Cuba. Pretty sad.

This along with an old nesting cavity.....

https://www.audubon.org/news/day-12-screaming-absence

In the past few days, we’ve come across a number of dead and dying pine trees, some infested with beetle grubs, and yet we have not seen any signs of foraging by Ivory-bills—none of the characteristic bark stripping. “This screams of the absence of Ivory-bills in these woods,” said Martjan earlier as we gazed at a dead pine with its bark still intact. It was a dramatic statement but not an exaggeration. If Ivory-billed Woodpeckers still exist here, wouldn’t these trees attract them from miles around? It’s a sobering thought and one I haven’t been able to keep out of my mind. Although these mountains are rugged, with deep valleys and steep hillsides, they do not cover a huge area, and Ivory-bills are known to travel a fair distance to forage. Why aren’t they taking advantage of these trees?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Filled 'er up to the top and ho lee chit them fuggers are comin' in by the flocks. Some I haven't seen before . Cool.

Crows are tryin' to muscle in tho'.

Time to dig out some wadcutters for the Python ! laugh

Fuuk the neighbors it's noon.

How about taking and posting some pics. This thread is useless without pics! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

was on my patio this afternoon.........

got buzzed by a Hummer.........

He said ..'WTF' where's my feeder ?

Its up & full now........but we've had 38* nights ??

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Awww leave them birdies alone.

Non native....ha! Just like the rest of you white bastards!

All yer gonna do is make your cat lazy.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our birds are crazy for suet. It’s the bird magnet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.