L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks guys, acclimation or bust. good thing I like to suffergrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
for me there’s a huge difference from knowing what I should be doing and what I actually do

every year I suffer on a hot race, I swear I will put more hot training days in for the next one, but sadly I’d rather get up at 4:00 AM and run with a headlamp, than suffer in the heat later in the day

you would think that after many years of suffering in numerous races and knowing exactly what I should do to lessen that suffering, I would, but you would be wrong smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last fall was my last season of coaching HS football. I’ll be focused primarily on track (Head Coach) from now on. But in training for the Little Rock 1/2 Marathon (March 1st) I had to do my training ramp up in the Aug-Sep heat and humidity of AR.

Coaches told me I was nuts and it was dangerous. Marine Corps instilled in me that with proper hydration, electrolyte and salt intake the heat was doable. I reminded them we didn’t have “black flag” days in Iraq. We just drank water, ate right and sucked it up. I was already acclimated from summer workouts so all was well. Some of my better runs were 6-7 miles at 90 or more and high humidity. Wish I would’ve had a better 1/2 time but maybe this fall!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yesterday:
Dynamic Effort/Speed Bench w/chains: 8x2 30 sec rest
Superset:
Incline Bench
Lats
Superset:
JM press
Shrugs

Today:
Cleans - work up sets of 3x, singles after
Max Effort: Anderson Squats - singles working up to failure
Superset:
Landmine squats
Hyper Ext
Superset:
Static Abs
Rev Hypers

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by philgood80
. I reminded them we didn’t have “black flag” days in Iraq.

I went through an Army Leadership course in July/August at Ft Knox, where I was stationed. We had several Black days, where we had to sit in the shade and all that. The following week I was back at work, working on Abrams engines that run at around 1000 degrees. That heat didn't compare to Iraq though, was checking the A/C's on trucks and had the IR thermometer gun, took it in the porta-schitter and it was 173 degrees in there!

For my workout, went up and down some steep trails, for an hour this morning, with 45 pounds on my back.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on the trails with Tiny Elvis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3.81 miles at 8:55 / mile for 34:00 this morning to start the day.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got in an hour mountain bike ride before work, lots of elevation gain and loss and technical terrain, so hard work and fun!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"Cindy"
as many rounds as possible of:

15 air squats
10 pushups
5 pullups

17 rounds

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Elliptical
Max effort - floor press
Superset:
DB Bench
Bent rows
Superset:
Rocking Tri's
Bar curls
Stretching, Elliptical

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6 miles on the trails with Tiny Elvis; the arrowroot is just starting to bloom, joining crocus, phlox, shooting stars and yellow bells

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hiked 3 miles after work and got to wet a line for a bit.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pushed a little harder this week with a good ride Monday, good run Tuesday AM and weights PM, really good ride Wednesday but then the wheels fell off. Just some yoga on Thursday and bagged Friday too. Lack of good sleep finally caught up to me I think. Got a solid 7.5 hrs last night and feel pretty good.

Over the past several months I go to sleep quick, around 2100, but wake anywhere from 0100-0300 and typically I'm up. Can lay there, read a book, or whatever but won't go back to sleep. Most times I get up and work out, get ready for work, then lay down and nap for 30-60 minutes. Really wears on me by the end of a week. Weekends are sometimes better. Doc wants to put me on an anxiety med but I'm not sold on it since falling asleep is no issue. You guys ever deal with this?

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ I haven't. I have experienced a hard time falling asleep in the backcountry on really tough days (sometimes 30+ miles!); you'd think you would just crash like the dead, but for whatever reason (adrenaline???) I'll toss and turn. Going to try something this year with the Bob Marshall Open- melatonin or something. 6-7 solid of hours of sleep would make a huge difference on day two or three.

8 miles backpacking with the wife in the Elkhorns; did it up right with fillet mignons, seasoned little taters and bottle of good red wine laugh

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 rounds

40 pushups
40 situps
10 pullups

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Remember this Gem JeffO?

]Former Russian intelligence officer Victor Boyarkin was in touch with Manafort during the 2016 US presidential campaign on behalf of Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska, who has close ties to the Kremlin, Time magazine reported Saturday....."He owed us a lot of money," Boyarkin told Time this past fall. "And he was offering ways to pay it back."

"I came down on him hard," Boyarkin added.

Such a baseless witch hunt. I mean, all we have is motivation (everywhere, everyone involved, in spades), opportunity, desire (the TT meeting), and a weapon.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Yeah... I ran the 440 in high school (not particularly well)... that's just 1/4 mile and not a sprint and I like to died every damn time I ran it. smile

Awesome workouts Mike and MCH. Awesome.

Well.... I think I'll just give a sense of what I'm doing and step away; I know it's bothersome to some when I post them as workouts. But I'm farkin' whipped, haha. Anyway we are taking the downtime (wife is furloughed till basically September) so we are taking on a really unpleasant project. In Western Oregon one of the worst jobs there is is fencing; but worse still is taking down old fence. It gets shot through with brambles, swamp grass, blackberry vines, thorn bushes, poison oak.... We had a fence to keep the goats out of the garden, I built it ~ 20 years ago, but it's not tall enough to keep deer out. We don't have goats anymore. So we are going from this, note the tops of the T-posts:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And through a process of hacking, cutting, mowing, yanking, chain sawing, using a Hi-lift jack, and so on, eventually get to this like below. Next step will be to rototill the fenceline, put in new t-posts, then stretch the fence. At least I can re-use the corners.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ribka; 05/11/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mtwarden
6 miles on the trails with Tiny Elvis; the arrowroot is just starting to bloom, joining crocus, phlox, shooting stars and yellow bells

I noticed that last week. It starts with the shooting stars( depending on moisture and elevation) then the other flowers bloom like clock work

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
normally phlox and crocus come first, then very shortly later shooting stars and yellow bells- these will often be right next to each other; this year was unusual that crocus came in later than the shooting stars and yellow bells, but they've now come in like I've never seen before smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden

8 miles backpacking with the wife in the Elkhorns; did it up right with fillet mignons, seasoned little taters and bottle of good red wine laugh

That's livin' right! Reminds me of the tag line from those old Lowenbrau commercials.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks! Not my normal backpacking trip, but we both really enjoyed that laidback trip!

My next one will be next week, the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open ~100 miles in three days (God willing) and it will be the total opposite of laid back laugh

Page 35 of 67 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.