Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cooper 57. Mornin. Bet that last retrieve made ya puff up yr chest, they sure can make ya proud !!! Next thing they'll embarrass the chit out of ya. My old Diggzz dog (GWP) dove for a duck the very first time out for ducks, went right under & came back up with the thing too many seconds later for me. Was ready to go in after him! He brought back a goose once, live! He was around the bend in a creek & I couldn't see but always thought he might have dove under the goose to come up under the dam thing. He was a fast swimmer but wholly. He once brok ice to retrieve a partridge. There is nothing better than hunting with yr best friend. Nothing. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GWPguy, Cool story!

The only time my Lab, Sam, embarrassed me was when a hunter in another field at my club's preserve shot a bird over his dog and Sam saw the fall. He broke and took off and I couldn't stop him with a "No". He got that bird, which the hunter was not too happy about. I gave him his bird and apologized. Sam had tons of drive. I probably could have stopped him with a zap from his e-collar but I didn't want to take the chance of curbing his enthusiasm for retrieving.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 10 yrs old half yellow lab half golden retriever, she avoids water like a plague. Won't even go down to the shoreline. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she's always been like this. I quite trying, she gets too freaked out!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Surprised that the Lab swimming genes are not as dominant as I would have thought...

She spent her first 18 months on a chain, with no stimulation to speak of. When I got her as a rescue dog she knew her name, come, and no.

I thought her to be not too smart, but that was just ignorance (X2!). She learns quick- when it is to her advantage.

House breaking, play growling, butt and belly rubs were all unkown to her. She has come a long way since!

We'll work on the swimming this summer.

Or it could be her whippet genes.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We went up to a lake one time with my last black Lab. There was a yellow Lab wading around in the shallows, sticking his head underwater looking for spawning rainbows.

You know what happened.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.