Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am getting ready to buy a tripod for hunting. Looking for one that can be lowered enough for sitting position at a stand. The Bogg Death Grip looks good but not sure if it can be lowered enough with out having the legs stretched way out which will not work in tight shooting areas, Thoughts? Recommendations?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From my experience with any sort of shooting support, the most important component is an accompanying certificate guaranteeing an extremely patient animal who will wait around while you set up the support (while moving) or wiggle yourself around or adjust the support to match up with where the animal is located if you are stand hunting.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I personally use a monopod walking/shooting stick. Helps me on the steeper slopes and I adjust it before I start hiking so that I can point and shoot without messing with it. I have found that a monopod helps a lot compared to shooting freehand and if it's not needed or not helping, you drop it and shoot. And it still gives you a third point of contact besides you ass as traverse nasty terrain.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After watching them in use on various YouTube videos, I made a set of stalking sticks out of fiberglass rods, bank line, camo tape, and rubber cane tips. Total cost maybe $20. Supports the rifle fore and aft, not just the forend. You make two sets of sticks crossed at the top, then join them at the bottom. The whole mess can be folded up and used as a staff, then open your hand and deploy them as a rest. Incredibly solid.

Mine are similar to this guy's, but are lashed together, not drilled and bolted. The fiberglass is forever, just might have to redo the tape and/or lashings at some point. I also made a short set for shooting from a chair or stool; still long enough to use as a hiking staff.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/09/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For my use, I started with the tallest Harris bipod, which was lacking for setting up on a steeper hillside, needing to almost recline to be able to get a shot off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then went to the BogPod, which eliminated the lack of height issues of the Harris, but was somewhat lacking in stability for longer shots.

Currently using an Leofoto tripod, 30mm ball head, with a Hog Saddle on top:

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a bog pod and that is pre-adjusted for height. It serves as a walking stick. It is stable enough that I have killed hogs on short notices (4-5 seconds to set up and shoot) out to 300 yds +/-. When adjusted short it works well as a blind support.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Docbill
I use a bog pod and that is pre-adjusted for height. It serves as a walking stick. It is stable enough that I have killed hogs on short notices (4-5 seconds to set up and shoot) out to 300 yds +/-. When adjusted short it works well as a blind support.

+ 1

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The BogPod Death Grip works well but is heavy to pack around even with the carbon fiber model, have used the tallest Harris the most but as aalf mentions it does have length limitations. have found the Primos Trigger Sticks work well but they have limitations also

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't ordinarily hunt with tripods unless I'm in a ground blind or some other situation that calls for it. That said, an outfitter had a setup on a Colorado antelope hunt that I really liked. It was a pistol grip ball head mounted on a carbon fiber tripod with a Hog saddle. Very fast and useful.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Primos Trigger Sticks, seated version. Fast to deploy and very stable.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am using the Trigger Stick when I hunt out of a pop up blind. I have a carbon one Bipod that I use together for a hands off support. I may get the hog saddle for next season.

For walking I like the African style of sticks or a mono pod for. If you have room the chair mounted rests work well and are very steady.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Innernol 90tc paired with a Hog Saddle is rock solid out to 500+... in the past I used my lightweight tripods and I made it work. I moment I went to a heavier tripod it was unreal how much more steady I became. In a sitting position I can almost be as steady as prone with a bipod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by go_bears
Innernol 90tc paired with a Hog Saddle is rock solid out to 500+... in the past I used my lightweight tripods and I made it work. I moment I went to a heavier tripod it was unreal how much more steady I became. In a sitting position I can almost be as steady as prone with a bipod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This video is a good one about training with sticks. The coach runs a shooting school in Wales, and know his stuff. He also appears in a Fieldsports Channel episode where they wring out Mauser M12 and M18 rifles at long range.

Sorry about the funky accents.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been very happy with the following setup:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/557127-REG/Slik_615_317_700DX_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886344-REG/Sunwayfoto_DYH_66i_Leveling_Base.html

https://triclawps.com/collections/all/products/triclawps-double-cam-mod-2

Though if I were to buy today, I would get the newer version:

https://triclawps.com/collections/all/products/triclawps-solo-saddle

I prefer the leveling head with 16 deg of inclination versus a ball head, having used both extensively, as the leveling head is much more stable and provides plenty of travel for my needs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your contributions are always interesting, Aalf.

I have a couple of questions, if you can please help...

How much do you tighten the hog salddle around your rifle's forearm?

My guns are light hunting guns with narrow forends... What is the minimun forend width the saddle will still grip?

When shooting, you just tighten the hog saddle around the rifle, and yo shoot with a loose ball head to allow traget alignment, or you tighten both?

If you could please post a photo of yourself befind the gun to see how you set up for your shooting with the tripod and hog saddle I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Alvaro

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out the Shadow tech tripod. Not hateful in price ($150). Solid construction will hold 20lbs of weight, bought mine from Brownells, There are other suppliers We use it for birding and range use. Very happy with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PappySticks Mk2. The first model was too long at the top, so out with the hacksaw again.

2 pounds 3.5 ounces. Total cost certainly less than $20, likely a lot less since some stuff was on hand. 72" 3/8 fiberglass sticks were about $28 for twenty on Amazon. #36 bank line, electrical tape, plastic cable caps, camo self-adhesive tape.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I prefer the leveling head with 16 deg of inclination versus a ball head, having used both extensively, as the leveling head is much more stable and provides plenty of travel for my needs.

True, the leveling heads as a rule are more stable, but it is somewhat depends on the size & quality of the ball heads in comparisons.

No matter, direct attachment still has less deflection, again mitigated some by size & quality, driven by weight & cost.

The two bigger Innorel Tripods I use have bowl adapters to eliminate the ball head if so desired, making them more stable as well w/o the cost of a leveling head.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If money is no limitation, these things are very impressive: http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Tripods--Accessories.htm

Primarily designed for military/police use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 73 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.