Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
BDidier Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I misspoke, Butt plate not butt stock. I fabricated the butt stock from three pieces of 15/16" walnut, two with pretty decent figure in the butt and a 1/2" middle straight grain to make the blanks thick enough for a bit of cast off.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The parts hunt is part of the fun, but also part of the frustration. I've spent probably close to $1000 on old 99 stocks over the past couple of years. Used most but have a couple around for projects. Even if you want to spend a bunch of money on them, they're still tough to find. The old ones seem to be made out of eggshells laugh I recently made one out of a chunk of walnut ( actually turned out okay ) because I gave up looking for this particular butt. One of the most frustrating and long terms parts I've been searching for is the old style carbine butt plate. I snagged a carbine stock last year out of total blind luck, but still have never even seen the right butt plate for sale. Actually I haven't ever seen any carbine butt plate for sale that wasn't attached to rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I once made a butt plate for a little German kiplauf out of ebony. Looks and works just fine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All I have to say is this took me an embarrassingly long time to do but to anyone planning on making one, a pattern gauge was essential for me. The first hunk of walnut I screwed up, so this was the second attempt. I scaled pictures that you fellas posted of the S type butts and scaled them as close as I could to the rifle straight stocks I have. The straight stock I was using as a pattern had a perch belly, which I really like, but the rifle this is for was made before them so I'll probably remove the belly. I had planned on buying a duplicated stock but haven't seen any that have the S type grip and didn't have one that I could have duplicated.

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Now if there was a hot market for all the 99 stocks I have that were cut for a recoil pads laugh

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
On topic, but off kilter, maybe?

We've all seen new posters looking for parts end up here, no doubt the result of "Savage" internet searches. I ended up here from an internet search of Savages in general. There are also occasional opportunistic posters that come here only for a specific need, not to be seen until their next need arises.

As it relates to this post, he is right, the latch mechanisms are hard to come by, and when you do they aren't cheap. Same with vintage wood stocks either for the 1899, 99, or early 110's. To consistently find and procure these scarce pieces a person usually spends countless hours scouring shops and web sites, investing money for that one rainy day years down the road when the need may arise for a specific part. it takes a tremendous amount of dedication and time to amass a collection of parts.

I'll concede the hunt is part of the sport of it all, but ultimately it isn't easy. The same time invested in something more constructive would no doubt yield much more tangible results. Imagine if we all spent as much time weeding the garden or waxing our trucks as we do talking Savages?!! Perish the thought!

The point of all this?

In the past I have sold parts to new posters with the hope that they would stick around and add something to the forum. I know, I shouldn't have had that expectation, but I admit I had hoped they would want to learn more or contribute some of their own experiences. Most haven't.

It's nobodies problem but my own I realize, just an observation made out loud I guess. My conclusion is that for all the time and effort it takes to collect vintage parts, that effort goes largely unappreciated when all that is required to procure a missing piece is to post a WTB ad and viola, it pops out of the innerwebs at you. Nobody could fault a new poster for taking an active approach to solving their problem. They haven't done a thing wrong. But for me, I may limit my help with needed parts to regular contributers here, people that invest as heavily as the rest, rather than offering up hard-to-get parts to fly-bys.

No offense intended to the OP. That's just my particular quirky take on it. I'd rather the part go where it is most seriously appreciated by someone that understands the toil of collecting and keeping their Savages working.

Flame away.

Most of you guys know I collect chainsaws too. We had a guy on one website saying he really wanted to restore one of the big Homelites. He traveled one of the big highways that go past my house, so I told him to stop in and I'd hook him up. He stopped, was very nice, I wound up giving him 7 old Homelites. A month later he was on a Homelite web site making package deals to sell all of the saws I gave him. I didn't really care that he sold them, I was just a bit hurt that he was playing American Picker, saying anything to get them, so he could flip them. Now I tend to be a little tighter with stuff.

Not making any correlations to the OP either. It's obvious your looking for a part for a project, not trying to get a bunch of stuff to flip as soon as you pull away. Roy just got me to thinking.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

B
BDidier Offline OP
OP Offline
B
End of day 1.5 of wood,

Cut, planed, jointed some pieces and glued them up yesterday. Had some cabinet 4/4 boards that were a bit wild for the cabinet job but thought they could make some sticks that would work for a two piece stock. Freed of clamps this morning, some more jointer, bandsaw and chisel and gouge work. And here we are.
My theory is that you can't see both sides of a stock at once and a bit of faux work will blend across the joints if necessary.

Attached Images
Last Import - 1 of 4.jpg (13.33 KB, 334 downloads)
Last Import - 2 of 4.jpg (12.57 KB, 333 downloads)
Last Import - 4 of 4.jpg (22.51 KB, 330 downloads)
Last Import - 3 of 4.jpg (12.45 KB, 328 downloads)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looking good. Keep us posted!

B
BDidier Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Another half day on the buttstock, ready to drill for screw. Then to the fun shaping.

Attached Images
Last Import - 1 of 3.jpg (28.26 KB, 294 downloads)
Last Import - 3 of 3.jpg (30.15 KB, 290 downloads)
Last Import - 2 of 3.jpg (23.04 KB, 287 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I appreciate the photo walk through. Please keep it coming!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thatsa lotta work, nice job on the stock so far.

LOL
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
"B' You have some really great skills. Enjoy the pictures.
Steve

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SomisSteve
"B' You have some really great skills. Enjoy the pictures.
Steve

Yes! more process pictures please! And Your address so we can start sending our orphaned barreled actions to You!

Last edited by JeffG; 05/11/20.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could put a solid vs take down forearm on it. Much cheaper.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How much is a take down fore end complete with latch worth over there?

Johno

B
BDidier Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Fireball2, Thanks for the commentary, keeps me going.

JeffG, I'm kind of enjoying the job just the way it is, one easy going, poor customer, who just wants to see it shooting someday. Besides, even at $20 an hour I'm overpriced.

Rick99, That never crossed my mind. Now it has crossed my mind and it's on down the road. That take down half twist is something I'd hate to lose. Besides I think there is enough walnut on the shelf for a short box.

I'm thinking of doing the rest from what's in the shop right now, no parts bought, just made. I've got the wenge buttplate material, and I have the latch and fore end metal steel hiding in unsuspecting blocks of steel right now. Even giving some thought to making my own browning juice, plenty of noxious recipes around.

SomisSteve, More wood butchery tomorrow, that figured aged walnut is tough sh...stuff. Thinking of a hex drive long screw variation for holding the action. I like looking at the hex drive and using a short Allen key. I won't miss a10" flat blade driver search down a dark hole. I'm thinking the guys that made a rotary cartridge carrier would be in favor of progress.

Calhoun, damnesia, Hope to get some pics up too.

JohnO, I've no idea, haven't seen one for sale. I'm sure someone here knows.

Take care,

Bruce

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bruce ive got a complete for end with the catch but buggered if I can find it, it would not be a problem posting something like that

Johno

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've thought of browning a project, but it's a 1915 250 action, need barrel. I'd like to return it to it's original configuration. I had a browned SXS that I liked, and I've browned a couple ax heads, because I don't like the polished look on vintage blades..keep up the good work, i'm watching too.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for the progress reports and photos. You have some great skills and talents.

B
BDidier Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Few more hours today; stretched the action screw and put a hex head on it. Action will come off with 3/16" hex key about an inch in from the end of the butt.

Got some shape on the butt and rough/thick Wenge butt piece with working screws in place.

Attached Images
Last Import - 1 of 2.jpg (21.73 KB, 197 downloads)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You've got some mad skills my friend. Keep up the good work. My only request is to be sure to put a concave edge on the cheeks on the buttstock. It won't look right at all w/o them.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/14/20.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,464
Posts18,529,198
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.