Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm looking to buy a 22 pistol for plinking and small game hunting (when I become a better pistol shot). Unfortunately I'm very unfamiliar with rimfire pistols. I've got it narrowed down between the Ruger Mark IV (probably a 22/45) and the Browning Buckmark. I know the Mark IV is easier to take down for cleaning. Prices are similar. Both feel good in my hand. What factors would make you choose one over the other?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Two good choices. Choose the one that fits best.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought the Ruger MK IV 22-45 Lite.

GREAT lightweight 22!

Seems to shoot great, with a Burris FF II on it.

Have it a the 'Smiths right now, getting a trigger job.

I think the trigger on the Browning is probably better from the factory.

My Daughter is looking to buy a Browning Buckmark.

She liked the feel of it better.

Both are GREAT Pistols. Just comes down to personal feel

It's going to be fun wringing them out side by side.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 05/10/20.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have both and love both of them,the browning was a little finicky at first but runs great now, the ruger has eaten everything from the start

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The UDX framed Brownings fit me best. Nothing else comes as close to feeling as good in hand.....

IC B2

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Two good choices. Choose the one that fits best.

This

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Accuracy is a wash,
less picky with trashy ammo the nod goes to ruger,
maybe better trigger pull out of the box, Browning

You cant make a wrong choice.

strat/les paul, ford/chevy, ginger/maryanne.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if there was any way you could shoot both for a while it would tell you which one you like best. For me when I finialy handled and shot a mark II 22/45 I found out I didn’t care for the fit and feel.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DouglasFir: This topic has been asked on this forum a few times in the past.
I own some of both (Ruger MK-IV's and heavy barrel Browning BuckMarks) and I would be hard pressed to give up any of mine.
The Ruger MK-IV's are somewhat pricier but it didn't stop me from buying three of them (two MK-IV "Targets" and one MK-IV "Hunter").
I used one in fact today (MK-IV Target) to bonk a chubby Ground Squirrel at a lasered 42 yards! I have a "red dot" optic on this pistol and was firing off of a sand bag rest - it is just a joy to take afield.
Don't hesitate to look for a "used" Browning BuckMark or a Ruger MK-IV - they are just about "bomb-proof".
One of my MK-IV's was purchased used.
Best of luck to you with whichever you decide on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Maybe do a topic search for other threads on this subject.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DouglasFir: This topic has been asked on this forum a few times in the past.
I own some of both (Ruger MK-IV's and heavy barrel Browning BuckMarks) and I would be hard pressed to give up any of mine.
The Ruger MK-IV's are somewhat pricier but it didn't stop me from buying three of them (two MK-IV "Targets" and one MK-IV "Hunter").
I used one in fact today (MK-IV Target) to bonk a chubby Ground Squirrel at a lasered 42 yards! I have a "red dot" optic on this pistol and was firing off of a sand bag rest - it is just a joy to take afield.
Don't hesitate to look for a "used" Browning BuckMark or a Ruger MK-IV - they are just about "bomb-proof".
One of my MK-IV's was purchased used.
Best of luck to you with whichever you decide on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Maybe do a topic search for other threads on this subject.

VarnintGuy
Did you install Volquartsen upgrades on your Rugers?
Lennie

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Buckmark, but the Mk IV ambidextrous safety is the big seller for me.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have always loved the original Ruger and the MkII. Have owned several but alwys let them go for some reason. But it wasn't because i didn't like them.
Got a hunch I'd really like the MkIV, and I'll pick one up eventually.

But for now I've got the Buckmark Camper, URX maybe? Superb pistol, accurate and comfortable. Great trigger out of the box. No real regrets, but I do wish the back of the slide/bolt was easier to grab ala the Ruger.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hint....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Last edited by huntsman22; 05/15/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I like the Buckmark, but the Mk IV ambidextrous safety is the big seller for me.

That, and the easy take-down and clean from the breech.

Also, I much prefer the recoil spring setup on the Ruger. I had a problem with my Buckmark, lost the tiny C-clip retainer, and had a long wait for Browning's back order to get a couple of parts. Went with the Volquartsen Mark IV upgrades, which does add to the cost of a comparable pistol. Worth it to me.

For out-of-the box value, it's hard to beat the S&W Victory, but I'm really happy with my Ruger.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Victory has tempted me. Have handled them and they feel great and appear well built

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by hikerbum
The Victory has tempted me. Have handled them and they feel great and appear well built

I was involved in a week ling scout camp rimfire handgun event. From that experience, the Victory shot good groups but we had problems with the springs under the Victory's grips. Brownings and Rugers ran flawless. We cleaned everything at the end of each day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a Ruger MkII and a Browning Buckmark. Really wanted to like the Ruger, but it didn’t feel as good, maybe the grip angle. Browning felt better, was lighter, had a better trigger, and was more accurate. I now own three Buckmarks and no Ruger rimfire pistol.

I know they have improved the Rugers, but for me, that ship has sailed.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Get a Mark IV in target configuration and order one of these to make a different carry option. The Ruger with it's ease of receiver/ barrel change out lends to some great options. You cab have one upper with irons and another with optics.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4324?clearance=1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lennie: Negative on the "trigger component" upgrades on any of my heavy barrel 22 pistols.
Over the last 6 days I have poured a LOT of Winchester Power-Point ammo down two Ruger MK's and one Browning BuckMark - not a flaw to be found in all of that shooting (400+ rounds).
About 50/50 between the Rugers and the lone BuckMark..
Love them all.
Battery died on my Leica Laser Rangefinder but I know I bonked several Ground Squirrels at 50 yards distant with them!
All off of sandbag rests of course.
One day I had my Smith & Wesson Model 647 revolver (in 17 HMR!) with 8 3/8" barrel along - it has a straight 7 (seven) power Burris pistol scope on it.
Two notable things happened - one was, I bonked a Ground Squirrel at what I am sure was 70 (seventy) yards with it and the other notable was, as I was touching off a 17 HMR round I made the mistake (again) of allowing my bare left hand to be near the front of the cylinder as the round ignited!
Ouch.
I won't do that again for a couple more years!
Pistol shooting Ground Squirrels is just flat out enjoyable and slightly challenging.
Near perfect sight alignment and trigger control are absolutely mandated when shooting at extended ranges with the rimfire semi-autos.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Ruger that began as a STd, replaced the barrel/receiver with that of a threaded stainless MK II Target, with a "charging handle" on the end of the receiver. Also have custom walnut grips on it, and a suppressor. For sighting, it is wearing a C More red dot. Don't know what else I could want on a .22 LR semi-auto handgun?

Mike Holmes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 219DW, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 10,004 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,652
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.