Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the critter hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

I'm thinking its like a power handle on a baitcaster.

But,,,,, in the pursuit of perfect, no stone goes unturned right?

Fire away!

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 05/09/20.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May be of some very small advantage without a scope whereas quick operation might be required. It would hinder things with a scope in place.

Looks cool and I think that is a big plus for some.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
May be of some very small advantage without a scope whereas quick operation might be required. It would hinder things with a scope in place.

It depends on the shape of the knob. The proper design is absolutely advantageous even with a scope mounted. A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope. My preferred design is a somewhat stretched, modest, teardrop shape, similar to the Kampfeld Hunter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope.

I can see that.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Not for me...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My preference if the Kampfeld Campfire Knurled... Knurled for good grip. Campfire size is larger than factory, but not ginormous...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SuperCub

It depends on the shape of the knob. The proper design is absolutely advantageous even with a scope mounted. A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope. My preferred design is a somewhat stretched, modest, teardrop shape, similar to the Kampfeld Hunter.

My preferences mirror Jordan's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another big fan of Karls "Campfire" knob especially on model 700 actions. I've had him do almost all my 700's over the years.

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TACTICAL, baby......

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In a few years shooters will look back at the big bolt handles and knobs the same way they look at shotgun Poly Chokes now, they both may serve a purpose but they are sure ugly.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Blu_Cs]Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the beast hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

But,,,,, in the pursuit of perfect, no stone goes unturned right?

Fire away![/quote

Why? I'm old school, but factory bolts have never ben a problem for me! I don't understand the need for big knobs, and really can't buy into the "can" craze. Lot of folks with money to spend!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Im a eastern whitetail hunter, so in trees a lot... i see a larger knob just getting caught on something a lot causing me a headache. Plus, one well placed shot is all you need, a follow up isnt a normal thing for me..... more so because of the density of the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Prefer the Holland's handle myself......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

Prefer the Holland's handle myself......

I could dig that.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Savage that has one, need to get it off, don’t like it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like them, assuming as previously mentioned, the shape is right.

Simply adding a “fat” knob is more for looks. A knob with modest diameter increase (I.e. a little “fatter”) but also a longer knob is the sweet spot.

I find these knobs fit my palm better, provide a little more leverage and move my hand father from the scope, all of which provide some benefits over a stock knob.

Now, some “tactical” knob designs seem more focused on improving Instagram pictures than anything else.

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm all about practicability. So far it seems line longer, but not much bigger, are the hot ticket. Is that the best way to roll?

This from a guy with power handles on all his ambassadeurs.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As long as I can hit it with the heal of my hand, it's fine.
Using fingertips is for BR.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like the aftermarket Mnt Tactical knobs for the Tikkas. This is the smaller version and its just about perfect for my liking.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It all boils down to personal preference, I have them, I like them, and I use them. At 10 above with gloves on, it`s good to know I can find and work the bolt quickly when needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.