Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Best knife for a 7 year old? IMHO it's one that you keep locked out of sight until the 7 year old is about 12.

What is your metric for a child’s readiness to handle a certain tool or task? Did we not all learn a lesson or two early in life by suffering a minor injury?
I ask this with some sincerity as a parent raising a small boy but with some skepticism as a person who was shooting a 410 and 22 by age 5. My son is 4 but uses a 5” bait knife to cut catfish bait, under supervision of course, and shoots a 22 or BB gun while sitting in my lap. He ran the outboard on our boat for half an hour this past Saturday while we trolled for Saugeye, once again under close supervision on my part. I fully expect that by 7 he’ll be ready to carry a small knife in his pocket as I did.

Indy has a point. I think an older child is more likely to remember not to run with a knife and normally probably has a better chance of turning the blade away from themselves if they fall.

I've seen a few kids as patients who got a fingernail file or pen or pencil in an eye from falling.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something nobody will cry over when it gets lost or broken. That old barlow I had came from a small town drug store. It was on a card hanging over the fountain. Didn't loose it but broke the tip using it hard but not really abusing it. Moved up to something little better. A buddy had a Swiss Army knife. My thought was what does anybody need all that crap for?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Best knife for a 7 year old? IMHO it's one that you keep locked out of sight until the 7 year old is about 12.

I know every kid is different, but If my kids hadn't figured out by age 7 that knives are sharp and can be dangerous if carelessly used then I've failed as a parent to the extent that they're likely to have bigger issues in life than cutting themselves with a pocket knife.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A plastic one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Get her this one. It was my first knife and I really liked it. Didn't take me long to lose it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

i've got one of those in the collection.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Benchmade has a mini Infidel. She'll grow into the full-sized one soon enough.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When i was a kid. Maybe 7 or 8.

I had of those dukes hazard or Roy Rogers folders.

Tried to sharpen it with a file.

Cut my right trigger finger to the bone at the knuckle.

Learned my lesson. Knives will hurt ya in your dumb.

Mad i didn’t get to go swimming in the creek that afternoon.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76
Just be careful with the Swiss Army knives, the last two I had were super sharp.

Yes, and the steel Victorinox uses in their blades easily takes a scary sharp edge especially on a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Their kitchen knives are the best bang for the buck.

I have a bunch of Victorinox paring knives I use in the kitchen, in the fur shed and out halibut fishing. The serrated ones can saw through a frozen salmon in about five strokes. I never have to thaw my bait.

The commercial fishermen always have one or two within reach on them in the event they get caught in a line and dragged overboard when working on deck with crab/cod pots or halibut longlines.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JonS
Youngest turned 7 5/1 and in practicing lighting fires the last few days, she has said she wants a knife.
What's your favorite, would like a locking, single blade, pocket clip that's removable as they're not comfortable to use but fun to hang somewhere or store in a pocket.

Thinking gerber lst or mini spyderco of some sort. I will keep it when not in use, so hope not to have it lost in the next little while.

Thanks
Jon

You're only gonna get her one? Surely you jest. She'll need a Swiss Army knife, and a lightweight folder with a 3 1/2 inch blade for hunting, just for starters.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
JonS Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Youngest turned 7 5/1 and in practicing lighting fires the last few days, she has said she wants a knife.
What's your favorite, would like a locking, single blade, pocket clip that's removable as they're not comfortable to use but fun to hang somewhere or store in a pocket.

Thinking gerber lst or mini spyderco of some sort. I will keep it when not in use, so hope not to have it lost in the next little while.

Thanks
Jon

You're only gonna get her one? Surely you jest. She'll need a Swiss Army knife, and a lightweight folder with a 3 1/2 inch blade for hunting, just for starters.

I was kinda hoping Uncle Don (H22) or Uncle Phil was going to provide the second one for the 9.5 year old and the 7 year old. Maybe an Ingram or a Menefee or some other well balanced fine tool! Heck, if you do, I'll get them hauling meat for you soon!

Thanks for the replies, she held my mora today, she's tiny for age 7, her hand goes around the mora, but she has to choke way up on it, her hand covers about 1/2 the handle.
I like the thinking on the lock back and it being dangerous when closing, I've seen them work hard on some in the past.
The opinel looks interesting, as does the mora firestarter and the simple little Buck.
I'll decide and order in the next day or so.
Thanks

Keep Smiling
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What is your metric for a child’s readiness to handle a certain tool or task? Did we not all learn a lesson or two early in life by suffering a minor injury?

For a child, I think it will be appreciated more if a fun or interesting mechanism and perhaps bright colors as well. I suggest you look into the Microtech Troodon. It comes in many colors but I think pink may be appropriate here!

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

Last edited by Goosey; 05/11/20.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Goosey

For a child, I think it will be appreciated more if a fun or interesting mechanism and perhaps bright colors as well. I suggest you look into the Microtech Troodon. It comes in many colors but I think pink may be appropriate here!

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

You think? Well, that's a first.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the grown men here shouldn't have sharp things.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from pics.conservativememes.com]

Only available at Wal-Mart HAHA

Last edited by k20350; 05/11/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Gramps gave me a Camillus 3 blade stockman when I was 5. It skinned a lot of muskrats and coons, dressed a lot of rabbits and squirrels and whittled a lot of roasting sticks for marshmallows. I still have it and it served me well for a long time. One could do worse than a good, traditional 3 blade stockman for a first knife.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a rusty no name piece of crap folder, got it from a friend in 2,3rd grade... that thing closed up on my knuckles, then I got my ass tore up with a belt and then dragged to the doctors office for a tetanus shot in my sore ass.

Good times

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Thanks
Jon

I was kinda hoping Uncle Don (H22) or Uncle Phil was going to provide the second one for the 9.5 year old and the 7 year old. Maybe an Ingram or a Menefee or some other well balanced fine tool!
Thanks

Good plan Jon. I'll spring for the Victorinox, and I'm pretty sure uncle Don has several nice Ingrams they can choose from.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Case XX Trapper. You can go to the Case website and get one personalized by having the name and date etched on the blade. You can get one in any color handle material you want.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't keep up with knives much anymore because I have so many but just saw that Buck now has a "slim" version of the 110 and 112 that is very light weight with clip and thumb stud more geared to pocket carry......for around $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-...k+110+slim&qid=1589294349&sr=8-5

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
JonS Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Bought them each a light my fire mora and they love them so far. 9 year old whittled a point, made a fuzz stick, 7 year old made lots of shavings.
Thanks for the tips, now to feed the addiction and choose the next one, hoping Smokepole follows through with his promise of a custom smile

Keep Smiling
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,697
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.