Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I gave one hide to my guide - his first successful guided hunt.

I kept mine from last season - 38 squared feet - and we didn't Swiss cheese it on the skin-out, so we’ll see how it turns out.

The COVID has the tanner shut down, not sure when I’ll see it back.

The rest of the hides - coyote bait.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That Moyle Mink outfit has the best tanning prices I've seen in a long time. Some taxidermist might be wanting to double the price just for a handling/shippping charge.

Sorry for the drift, but this might be the perfect thread to ask;

I've got a full Elk hide that's been in the deep freeze for over 20 years. Some say it could be good, others say no. Whatya think?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think after 20 years with nothing happening, there's no chance motivation will rear it's head now......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I think after 20 years with nothing happening, there's no chance motivation will rear it's head now......

Touche'

Motivation can be tiring.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
That Moyle Mink outfit has the best tanning prices I've seen in a long time. Some taxidermist might be wanting to double the price just for a handling/shippping charge.

Sorry for the drift, but this might be the perfect thread to ask;

I've got a full Elk hide that's been in the deep freeze for over 20 years. Some say it could be good, others say no. Whatya think?

Most taxidermists don't actually tan them. They ship them off while taking a cut for the handling. Moyles have their own tannery.

FWIW, back in college in the '60's, I dated a Moyle daughter from their farm near Eagle, ID. She was a good looking farm girl, one who could break you in half if you got out of line.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks RC, being flippant about the taxidermist but have asked them for an approx. price & it always seemed out of line.

Talking to Moyle or any Co. like them might be the best place for an answer, Captain Obvious was correct in the fact that I'm not likely to do anything with it, but thought about gifting it to a young person with interest or friends with interior decorating plans that this could benefit. If a chance of it still being good without having to thaw it to just guess.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've made some into tanned leather to make stuff out of and have had 2 tanned with hair on to throw over the backs of couches. But most stayed where they hit the ground.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've known about Moyle's tannery for years but this was the 1st I've heard that they take in outside work. If I ever get my wolf, I'll likely take it to them.
When they list a price for a cape, are they just talking the front part or are they talking about a whole skin? They list a whole hide for elk but not for wolves.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes elk hides are beautiful when tanned, >but no we have never kept a elk hide,our reason we had to pack the meat and horns out on our backs and by the last meat/pack trip of that elk we did not have the energy to go back and get the elk hide. but i have always wished i would have went back and got a elk hide just never happened,maybe someday when i am older and just hunt a 2-track out of the truck.

Last edited by pete53; 05/11/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Moyle will tan almost anything if you flesh and salt before sending it in.
They have prices for whole hides, capes half hides etc. Look on the taxidermy price list and intact fur dressing.
They did 2 bison hides for us, many furs, feral hog tails, and our mt lion hide from this past winter.
We skinned our mt lion as if for a rug and requested intact fur tanning instead of taxidermy tan, turned out great.
Our taxidermist does not prefer their tan for mounts but does like the fur tanning.
Turn around times vary but our mt lion was back in 1 1/2 months this year.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found the wolf price - $69. That's a darn good price. FWIW, you can take 15 wolves a year in Idaho, assuming you can find them. I'm still looking for my 1st shot at one.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is less expensive to buy a prime hide already tanned and processed than to have your own done.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
It is less expensive to buy a prime hide already tanned and processed than to have your own done.

Yes but the satisfaction of taking that animal yourself and working the hide is not the same.

Where can you buy a prime bobcat for $33 , the price Moyle will tan it for? I can shoot or trap one and get it tanned for that, no way to buy a good one for $33, well maybe a southern bobcat but not a prime western one.
I will say put up takes time and the effort you put in is what you get back on quality of the tanned hide.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you add it all up, it's also cheaper to buy beef at Costco than it is to hunt it. Getting your own is the goal, not saving money.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
I always say I’m going to keep my next one to have tanned and toss on the floor or over the back of the couch. And then I get all the meat hauled out of some hellhole and decide that the hide can stay there with the guts! smile

Yeah, that.

Elk hides weigh about as much as a medium size whitetail, and you can't eat any of it. I'd love a tanned elk hide, but I can't get anybody to haul one out for me frown

Oh well,

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is one big reason I've only had two tanned in 45+ years of killing elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My statement needed a question mark. As in, why is that? Along with why does is cost as much to reload shot shells as to buy a new box?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

My statement needed a question mark. As in, why is that? Along with why does is cost as much to reload shot shells as to buy a new box?

Ah , should have read more closely.
For some perhaps as you must figure in the cost of the animal harvest and the tanning cost.
Most furs you see for sale already tanned I bet are lesser quality furs, some type of defect or less prime.
Our bobcats for example are inexpensive to take, fur bearers license $45 and the tanning about $33. Good prime bobcats are worth good money to fur houses, hundreds of dollars. A tanned prime bobcat is going to be expensive compared to the $ 45 fur bearers license and $33 tanning fee. That $45 license will allow unlimited take on the same bobcats.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some taxidermist will pay $100 for a cape for re-doing mounts or when they re-do a euro mount. One processing place in NM would give you a $50 rebate if you gave them the hide. An elk skin makes a great camping pad even a raw hide one.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've had two tanned hair off and smoked by Haigles Tannery in I think Bozeman, Mt. Had a custom pair of beautiful chinks made for my sister from one and the other just recently got to my Leathersmith. Hes making me a possibles bag. Kind of a Mountain Man/Indian style.
And I'll think of something else.......He is friends with a Navajo beader/rug maker.
Hard to let that beautiful hide go to waste......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.