Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm 53, bought one at 18 to be the only rifle I'd ever need, then got another for my first trip to Alaska, went rifle lonny. sold them both, now have many other rifles /cartridges and no interest in getting another 7 rem mag. It's a great one no doubt, I just enjoy others more.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently almost nobody has noticed my previous post on this thread, where I mentioned that the article had already been submitted on April 15th. As a result any response beyond that date cannot be included in the info--including any response stating you did NOT like the 7mm Remington Magnum.

If those who posted their dislike actually read my original post, then you'd know that I didn't ask that question. Instead I asked who was a fan of the 7mm RM, and their age. Don't care who doesn't like it.

But apparently any post on the Campfire is still only read as far as the header, in this instance "7mm Remington Magnum?" So they provided a "dislike" vote, usually without any details--often because they've never owned or used one. Which provides what I might call less than zero info

Will be reposting this every day or two until this thread dies, as it's taking up Rick's bandwidth for no reason except the usual cyberspace "vote."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Randy,

On the other hand, always enjoy your well thought-out posts!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
John you know they don't read much. whistle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well heck, I guess I do get to say I don't care for the 7mm Remington Magnum as well as some others.

What a relief. And of course I fit right in there as someone who never owned one. I have shot and loaded for a few.

I found they were difficult to get published velocities out of. The rifles usually weighed more than my '06. They seemed to kick harder than, for instance, my .338.

I do like other 7 mms more. The 7 mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm WSM, 7x61 Super and .280 AI. are each superior in my uninformed mind to the Remington, often for chancy reasons.

I always disliked the 7 mm Remington magnum as it likely reduced sales of the 7x61 Sharp and Hart Super (which I own. It is complete with the looney-esque 26 in barrel I need to get close to the 7mm Remington mags velocities).

I do think it humorous tha the .280 AI is now a competitor to the 7 mm Rem mag. It comes extremely close to matching the 7x61 in velocities from 24 in barrels. Some things go around in circles.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
First rifle I bought after college in 1976. Remington 700 in 7MAG. Also own same caliber in a Browning BAR, Ruger, and Tikka T3 Superlight. Love the round and have taken bear, elk, hog, mule deer, and loads of whitetails with them. It is a perfect caliber for me. Age 67...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a huge fan. I own a dozen or more rifles in the chambering. I’ve hunted them extensively with great success. I’m 59 years old.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's my go to rifle. Built with pre'64 M70 action, Douglas barrel, and Brown Precision stock. Used it from Mexico to Alaska and Africa with great success. 67 years young.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Apparently not!

Now I'm curious about how long this thread will continue, despite having outlived it's usefulness by almost a month. My article, as I've mentioned twice here, was sent to the magazine on April 15th.

But apparently LOTS of Campfire members have such strong opinions on the 7mm Remington Magnum that they feel compelled to post 'em.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m guessing it’ll carry on for a while because I think for lots of people the usefulness of this and other threads involves more than fulfilling survey requirements, and includes being a venue for simple discussion and a means for them to send their opinions out into cyberspace.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well as happens now that I'm past 70 I lost my way, LOL! I got to talking about my .280 and forgot about my 7Mag. It's a ratty old cheapo Savage Model 110 with a plain hardwood (Not Walnut) stock. But it will shoot when I'm up to snuff. I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it, because it was pre accutrigger and I needed Vice Grips to pull the trigger. Now it shoots real good and will put five shots in around an Inch when I'm having a good day, which isn't everyday anymore. I like Nosler and Combined Technology bullets in it. Had good luck with Combined Technology Ballistic Tips. I've also shot Sierra Game King 160 Hollowpoints, However, for white tail deer and hogs I prefer plain old Sierra Game King 150 Grainers. I don't need a tough bullet for deer and hogs. Save those for bigger animals with tough hides and thick bones. Anyway, I'm 72 and I love the 7 Mags whether Remington or Weatherby. But my true love is the .270 Winchester.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I now look at this thread as a "One Stop" for enlightened discourse on the 7mm Remington Magnum. Future searchers will appreciate the knowledge posted here.

Plus China Flu 2020 productive web browsing.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It seems there are many 7 mag fans

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i knew and read all,> my question is now what is the numbers and percentage of haters to lovers of this great cartridge the 7 mm Rem.Mag. ? Mule Deer what`s next to love and hate ? another cartridge,rifle ,knife, game animal,state ,almost forgot scope? i need to go to grocery store for more popcorn and soda pop with my mask on too ! GRIN

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hanco
It seems there are many 7 mag fans

Hanco,

Yep! Which is the reason it's a standard chambering with just about every centerfire rifle company on earth.

But the response from lots fans also isn't surprising, because my initial question only asked for responses from fans, along with their age, to see if 7mm RM fans are older than most hunters.

This was partly because somebody here suggested the 7mm RM was a "geezer" cartridge, preferred primarily by hunters who are behind the times. (By the way, I know the guy who suggested that, and he's about a year older than the average fan who responded. And he's not a fan of the 7mm RM because he prefers the .300 Winchester Magnum and, get this, the .300 H&H. Talk about a geezer cartridge!)

Probably the major reason any non-fans responded is they never read the original post, instead just the header, "7mm Remington Magnum?" Whereupon they jumped right in with their opinion, because the Internet allows anybody to vote, even without photo ID.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I load mine with a Geezer powder IMR 4350. There are powders that will get a little more velocity, but 64 grains with a Ballistic tip does plenty good on Whitetail deer, Aoudads, and pigs. I’m gonna try Reloader 22, cause it does so well in a 270 Weatherby mag.

I enjoy your articles very much. I read them first when my magazines arrive. I hope you never really retire.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Apparently not!

Now I'm curious about how long this thread will continue, despite having outlived it's usefulness by almost a month. My article, as I've mentioned twice here, was sent to the magazine on April 15th.

But apparently LOTS of Campfire members have such strong opinions on the 7mm Remington Magnum that they feel compelled to post 'em.

No one reads, they’re too busy typing.

Like the old adage, no one listens, they just wait for their turn to talk.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may be no longer of use to MD, but it's been an interesting read...and everyone has remained civil...

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is usually one of the virtues of the "Ask The Gunwriters" forum.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
John I own a 7mm Rem Mag and love it. But have only shot one deer with it. I've used .270's all my life and cannot see any difference in the two as most of my buddies from East Tennessee own the 7mm Rem and .270s. The deer just go down with either one. Many years ago you pointed out to the gun world that the .270 is a 7.035 mm bullet size. I killed a Eland in Africa with a 140 grain .270. I was surprised by the performance. I really wonder if any of the big game can tell the difference netween the two.

roanmtn

Glenn Campbell
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.