Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14869276 05/11/20
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I need a scope manufacturer to make the following:

1.5-9x36, maybe 3-9x36, close enough. Even 6x36 is great.

VX-6, S&B, Meopta quality glass.

First focal plane so I can use the damn thing to take a shot at whatever the hell magnification I want it set on.

TDS, B&C, LRD style reticle. Mil dot is fine.

I need the scope to hold zero like a champ. As you can tell I’m not as concerned with dialing.

There are bound to be comments about “oh that’s available with a 42mm or 50mm objective”. No [bleep]. I don’t want to mount a scope that high.

Others claiming SFP is superior. I see your point IF YOU DIAL. If you use a holdover reticle SFP is a hindrance.

Yes, I know about the Swarovski 3-9x36. Not offered with a holdover reticle.

Yes, I’m aware of the Leupold 6x36 LRD. I have several. Discontinued and Leupold tried killing it early with the wide duplex.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The closest thing off the top of my head is the recently discontinued 1.5-8 Vortex Razor HD ultralight.

“Lighten up Francis”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

First focal plane so I can use the damn thing to take a shot at whatever the hell magnification I want it set on.

I need the scope to hold zero like a champ. As you can tell I’m not as concerned with dialing.

There are bound to be comments about “oh that’s available with a 42mm or 50mm objective”. No [bleep]. I don’t want to mount a scope that high.

Others claiming SFP is superior. I see your point IF YOU DIAL. If you use a holdover reticle SFP is a hindrance.

Yes, I’m aware of the Leupold 6x36 LRD. I have several. Discontinued and Leupold tried killing it early with the wide duplex.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! laugh

Boredom must be setting in heavy on you buddy!

Just get the darned SS 3x9's and be done with it. Or the 1X8 Nightforce if you can manage the short tube length.

I put a 1x8.5 Bushnell FFP on one of my AR's and it is amazing optically, reticle is really good, it's illuminated BUT it has a 34mm tube and is a horse. If It wasn't so chunky I would like it a bunch of a few of my critter getters!

Good luck in your quest..

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 1-8x24 NX8 is pretty close....just such a small obj at 24 rather than the 32/36 you want. It does suffer a bit at the higher powers and in low light. Personal preference but I'd prefer the reticle extend across the FOV on low powers and the illumination would go lower...only the dot rather than the circle....might as well say the center dot is a little heavy at highest powers and longer range but still usable.

If they made that with a x32 objective I'd likely be picking up several of them. Heck, I still want another one like it is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The older NF 2.5x10-36mm was probably right up your alley minus the SFP part of it, but with it being a 10X on top it probably wouldn't matter much.

Semper Fi
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
The older NF 2.5x10-36mm was probably right up your alley minus the SFP part of it, but with it being a 10X on top it probably wouldn't matter much.

Those are 32mm but and with the Velocity 600 or mil-dot would be very close.....except the SFP that you mentioned. I've been using several of them with the Velocity 600 reticle and they work well (on 10x) if the LV/MV/HV matches the load you're using. Everything's a trade off...with the design they have those reticles would be to fine on 2.5x if they were FFP....trade offs.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like the 1.5x9 power range. You act like you can’t shoot if the reticle isn’t ffp? You do realize on almost all guns you don’t need the features of the reticle unless the shots are over about 300 yards? How many of your shot are over that? I bet not as many as you think. A plain old duplex probably serves most of your needs. And if they are more than 300 you most likely want a scope with more power. Btw your scope already exists. It’s called a 3x9 swfa hd.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! laugh

Boredom must be setting in heavy on you buddy!

Just get the darned SS 3x9's and be done with it. Or the 1X8 Nightforce if you can manage the short tube length.

I put a 1x8.5 Bushnell FFP on one of my AR's and it is amazing optically, reticle is really good, it's illuminated BUT it has a 34mm tube and is a horse. If It wasn't so chunky I would like it a bunch of a few of my critter getters!

Good luck in your quest..

Ha! Not so much bored as frustrated with optics makers that seem to be caught in the middle of two worlds. This started with trying to get my new scope mounted lower.

I get if you are more of a shooter than mountain hunter you want dials and great optical clarity. And I guess they don’t mind big objectives. And I’m a fan of PRS matches, I don’t mind if you’re a ‘shooter’ at the range at all so long as you don’t do dangerous [bleep].

On the other hand as a mountain hunter I want a small, tough, bright scope. VX-6 quality in a small scope. And I want to be able to shoot out to 400 or 500 yards with holdovers. And I want to mount my scope as low as I can so that in irregular positions I get a consistent cheek weld.

I sent Leupold an email with my suggestion. I have low expectations.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I like the 1.5x9 power range. You act like you can’t shoot if the reticle isn’t ffp? You do realize on almost all guns you don’t need the features of the reticle unless the shots are over about 300 yards? How many of your shot are over that? I bet not as many as you think. A plain old duplex probably serves most of your needs. And if they are more than 300 you most likely want a scope with more power. Btw your scope already exists. It’s called a 3x9 swfa hd.

Just for [bleep] and grins.

I understand how SFP reticles work. I even have a couple. I’ve even hunted with them, and killed things!

Two of my shots on elk in the last 5 years have been between 300 and 400 yards. I’ve also had the opportunity at elk at 10 yards, 80 yards, 900 yards (passed), etc.

Antelope is another tricky one. Lots of shot opportunity at around the 400-yard range. If they see you they move to about 400-500 yards away. Antelope hunting is much tougher than many think. Just because you can see them doesn’t mean you can shoot at them.

I don’t want a scope with more power. As a matter of fact I don’t want to touch my scope hunting AT ALL. No dials. No parallax adjustments. No magnification changes. I want to have 4x or 6x magnification and holdover marks at 400 and 500.

SFP and dials are super fun shooting steel at the range. Nightforce even makes an entire line of “Benchrest” scopes that are big objectives, SFP, high magnification, great dialers. Because they are awesome at the range!

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 05/12/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I were king for an afternoon, a 6X36 SS without the big knobs and proportionately smaller would be pretty much right up my alley. It'd probably shave a few ounces without the bulk of the X42 and lower knobs. I would like the lines marked 2, 4, 6, etc since I would get PLENTY of range right out of the windshield.

So far, I haven't needed more than a solid 6X to make shots out to 600 yards and that is about my hunting limit anyhow, so a simple scope like that would work well for me.

Semper Fi
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yep. And I get most people think they need adjustable magnification, maybe because they haven’t used a good fixed power. Donno. That’s why maybe it would be easier to get the 1.5-9.

Appreciate all the comments about scopes out there!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
And instead of killing the 6x36 had Leupold updated it to VX-6 glass and brought back the LRD that would have been a great scope.

I would rather they had killed the 6x42. Why keep the scope that competes with Meopta and Schmidt and Bender? That’s fools folly to think you are going to outcompete them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1.5 8 x 42 S&B Startos. .
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And instead of killing the 6x36 had Leupold updated it to VX-6 glass and brought back the LRD that would have been a great scope.

I would rather they had killed the 6x42. Why keep the scope that competes with Meopta and Schmidt and Bender? That’s fools folly to think you are going to outcompete them.

Right on. A leupold version of the little swaro habicht 6x36, couple reticle choices, and they could market the heck out of more “compact,” “backcountry,” light-weight,” etc. Not in line with present market tastes, though.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-credo-2-10x36-riflescope

This checks almost all of your boxes.

I just got one of these a couple months back and it is on my 6mm creed fieldcraft. So far it has exceeded my expectations

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The little Maven RS2 is close, but the SHR reticle is 2FP and the MOA between the marks is too far for any useful hunting shooting.

5 MOA drop for the first increment, 10 for the second means that a 30/06 with a 165gn NBT zeroed at 200 has the 5MOA at 400 and the 10MOA at about 560. Too far to be useful.

Now, if it were 2.5, and 5 MOA that would give about 300 and 400.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by CORDrew
https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-credo-2-10x36-riflescope

I just got one of these a couple months back and it is on my 6mm creed fieldcraft. So far it has exceeded my expectations

Nice. I'd like to try one.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Originally Posted by CORDrew

Thanks for posting this! I hadn’t checked out Trijicon.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh tic tok tic tok till hunting season arrives!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
laugh tic tok tic tok till hunting season arrives!

You aren’t kidding there!

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 1,677 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,638
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.