Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I've got my dad's old Model 7 in 308. It isn't very accurate and because it's pretty light, it definitely let's you know you pulled the trigger. I'd like to get a new barrel on it too convert it to 7mm08 for my kids to shoot deer when they are ready. I already ordered a youth stock for it. I've never had a new barrel put on a rifle before and I am not exactly sure where to start. One thing that seems somewhat confusing to me is all the different contours out there.

I'm thinking a 20", 1-9 twist, threaded for a brake or suppressor.

How would you set it up? I just want to make sure this is set up smartly.

Thanks!

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Contours vary from manufacturer to manufacture somewhat. So be mindful of that.

If you're setting it up for kids, you could step up a size or 2 to add a little weight....but, your stock must have a barrel channel that'll fit the barrel. Some stocks can be opened up easily. If it's too big, it's really free floated..drives some guys nuts.

Best bet to get it done right is to head to a gunsmith. You can order a barrel blank with a 7mm bore you like... sometimes there can be a long wait. The Smith will chamber the blank and screw it on the action.

Realistically, it's a Model 7. You might be ahead to find one already in 7-08 if that's what you want. You're talking probably north of $500 pretty easily... Small, light rifles are particular on how they shoot best. That could be the issue. Or flinching, or fouling, or scape/mounts etc etc. Shooting lighter bullets from the 308 will help tone the recoil down. A 7-08 with 140s and a 308 with 150s from the same gun is gunna recoil about the same.

Decide your end goal and a budget before you jump too far ahead. Real easy to spend a good bit of money to take the long way around.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My boys shoot a factory model 7 in 7mm-08. It’s very accurate. I bought it used for less than most rebarrels will end up costing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if it’s not sentimental you could sell it and buy a compact 7-08 or 260 very reasonable.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gunnut308
if it’s not sentimental you could sell it and buy a compact 7-08 or 260 very reasonable.

That would be cheaper. My boy still has his model 7 youth. He killed a lot of deer it. It’s a 7mm-08. I loaded it down with H 4895, increased as he got older. It has an adult stock now, but we still have the youth stock for his boys when they get old enough.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you could also try some 125 grain accubond bullets in it...should help with the recoil

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can find a model 7 8mm-08 takeoff barrel for probably $50-$100 easily.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a blued 700 SPS take-off barrel in 7-08 that I would sell you. You could have a smith install it and cut and crown to whatever length you want. The slightly larger contour would add a little bit of heft up front and it would be much less expensive than experimenting with a premium barrel for a kid's rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Trigger06
I've got my dad's old Model 7 in 308. It isn't very accurate and because it's pretty light, it definitely let's you know you pulled the trigger. I'd like to get a new barrel on it too convert it to 7mm08 for my kids to shoot deer when they are ready. I already ordered a youth stock for it. I've never had a new barrel put on a rifle before and I am not exactly sure where to start. One thing that seems somewhat confusing to me is all the different contours out there.

Thanks!

A lot of 'smiths won't install a used barrel because they don't want to deal with an unhappy customer if the barrel doesn't shoot as well as the customer expects.

It might cost you less to buy a new 700

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. Sell the m7 and buy a 700 adl and you're done. Or you can load 125 grain bullets in the 308 with reduced loads. Very cheap that way

IC B3

T
OP Offline
T
I thought about selling it and putting it towards another rifle. But given how poor the accuracy is (generally 3 to 4 moa), I'm not sure I'd be able to get anything for it. I've pretty much decided to get a new barrel, just wanted advice on that. It might be more expensive, but that's the route I'm taking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, for this situation the take off barrel is the route to go. You'll have $600 or more in a barrel and install and that doesn't include the stock cost if you go with a new barrel . About half that if you go with a take off... I've had a couple factory take off barrels installed and they shot great. In fact, my most accurate rifle by a good piece is a Remington VSSF barrel in 223 that I had installed by IT&D on a Rem 700 action after I burned out the .17 Rem barrel on it. As long as you find a decent gun smith who knows what he is doing, you should be able to end up with a very accurate , relatively light deer getter for the kids.... in fact, try Shaen on this forum. His work is great, fairly priced, and fast turn around....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 since 1991. It's the early model with 18-1/2" barrel, and it shoots very accurately. Your 308 Model Seven might be made to shoot better than it does if you work on it. Another owner might think that way, so if you want to sell it, don't advertise it as a dog. Personally, I would buy a take-off 7mm-08 barrel and have it mounted on your action. I have a spare take-off barrel for my rifle, in the event I wear out the original barrel.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trigger06

I'm not a 6.5CM fanboy but can see some advantages it has over the 7-08, esp as a deer rifle. Less recoil and more ammo not to mention it fits in a short action better.

Make it a 20" bbl and it will serve well for years after the kids grow up and the original stock goes back on.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would make an effort to get the rifle to shoot better as is, could be a bedding issue that isn't that expensive to fix. As for recoil if you only shoot factory fodder there are reduced recoil loads out there and they work pretty good from what I hear. My model seven is a 7-08 and I like it a lot.

It shoots really well, is light and it's recoil doesn't bother me but I don't sit at the bench running hundreds of rounds through it either. If you are dead set on a rebarrel it would be money well spent at around $400. Even getting a takeoff fitted you will be out around $200.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OTOH ..... I'd like to have a 1st gen. blued/walnut Model Seven re-barreled with a 20" bbl and the original sights back on in 300 Savage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you say it is t very accurate, how much load work up are we talking about? How much load development and what size groups?

It’s one thing if you’ve tried extensive load development and it shoots patterns. Then at that point, something needs to change.

Personally, before I pulled the barrel I’d clean the heck out of it, then give a solid effort to working up a load with a powder/bullet combination generally recognized for being accurate in a .308.

If it is the rifle just won’t shoot, Considering the cost of are-barrel, you might be better off buying a compact budget rifle in whatever kid friendly caliber you want then having the Model 7 rebored to something like .338 Federal or .358 Win.

For about the price of a rebarrel you could come out with 2 rifles, and 2 rifles is always better than 1 rifle laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem I had with the Model 7 I had was the mag length was far too short and the throat too long to seat the 6.5/120g bullets (260 Remington) out close to the lands like I wanted them. Due to this, I never could get it to shoot as well as I wanted so it went down the road. I have other rifles that will shoot the heavier bullets and I wanted the 260 as a coyote rifle. Just didn't work out for me. With a rebarrel and the right dummy round for the smith to use, he could set it up for any round you want to load IMO....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In and of itself, having to jump bullets isn't a guarantee of poor grouping.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you're worried about recoil, put a Limbsaver pad on it. I had a .308 stainless/synthetic Model 7 that kicked much less than a M94 30/30 after I put a Limbsaver on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.