Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Having a house built. Thinking about TV options, specifically streaming. What is it, how does it work, better than cable?

NRA Patron

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tag for later learning!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much cheaper than cable, and no cables are required to be strung through out your house. YouTube TV is the best and cheapest service I have found so far. I also like Spanish soccer (La Liga) so I get FUBO on the side to watch it. The only requirement (if you want to run multiple TVs and devices at the same time) is to have adequate band width internet service. I currently have ATT fiber optic and it is 1/2 the cost of Cox internet. My YouTube TV is 1/4 the cost of Cox Cable.

One thing to think about . . . you may want to install coax cable throughout your house, as it is being built, in case you, or someone who may buy your house wants cable TV.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is kind of a huge topic.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
general answer - YoutubeTV

want to live a little dangerously, check out IPTV (education begins at Troypoint.com)

Last edited by KFWA; 05/13/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you have internet? Know how to use it? Is there a wireless connection in your house? Do you have a TV newer than say, 5 years? If so, it's likely internet ready, just like your computer and "smart phone". Follow the directions and the TV almost sets itself up. The new TV we got even has 'icons" or whatever they call them now, for all the major streaming sites, as in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon.

Roku and that other stuff I have no freakin' idea about, if that's what you're thinking.

I'd try to talk the wife into doing away with our Direct TV if I could get my HOCKEY games on the NHL.com site. But, 7 hour drive away and we're still in the blackout area. She has some shows she likes too.

Good luck with the new house.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You use your WiFi internet connection to "stream" TV, Movies and Sports by way of a smart TV or a devise such as the FireStick

If you want live TV with channels yiou still need to purchase a TV provider like Spectrum, or Medicom, or Sling or YouTube TV, Hulu, etc..

Check this out.

https://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/what-is-the-amazon-fire-tv-stick/

I no longer pay for Cabel TV, I had Spectrum. Canceled it and kept the internet service. I now stream free TV and movies. I watch movies etc. on Prime.

Most around here gave up cable and use Apple TV or Firestick and pay the service for YouTube TV.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savings and functionality depends on whether you plan on buying cable Internet service. If you don't have cable Internet and you want stream TV, the savings aren't nearly as good as people may think because by the time you pay for Internet and the streaming service, you're close to what you would pay for typical cable TV. Also, if you don't already have cable Internet, you will need it because anything slower will probably suck. Maybe others have had luck with non cable Internet access but I haven't.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I cut the cable years ago and won't ever look back. I got an OTA, over the air, antenna for local channels. I have a Roku Premiere, Amazon Fire Stick and an android box for the rest of the tv. There are a lot of tv services that you can buy, like You Tube TV, Sling, etc. Apple also makes Apple TV too.

I haven't paid for tv since 2012 and don't miss the high bills. My only bill every month is for internet access.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Do you have internet? Know how to use it? Is there a wireless connection in your house? Do you have a TV newer than say, 5 years? If so, it's likely internet ready, just like your computer and "smart phone". Follow the directions and the TV almost sets itself up. The new TV we got even has 'icons" or whatever they call them now, for all the major streaming sites, as in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon.

Roku and that other stuff I have no freakin' idea about, if that's what you're thinking.

I'd try to talk the wife into doing away with our Direct TV if I could get my HOCKEY games on the NHL.com site. But, 7 hour drive away and we're still in the blackout area. She has some shows she likes too.

Good luck with the new house.

I completely agree. We have Hulu and the tv we have can connect to our network and pretty much set itself up. The only downside I've noticed is it's harder to sit back and channel surf. I've found you really need to have an idea of what you want to watch. For over a hundred dollars cheaper than cable, or satellite it's worth it to me.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
So, can you get hunt/fish shows ’ like Pursuit, Sportsman’s channel and The Outdoor Channel? Also Mrs likes food network channels. Are they available?
Thanks

NRA Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dale06
So, can you get hunt/fish shows ’ like Pursuit, Sportsman’s channel and The Outdoor Channel? Also Mrs likes food network channels. Are they available?
Thanks

Available, yes, free, no.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Savings and functionality depends on whether you plan on buying cable Internet service. If you don't have cable Internet and you want stream TV, the savings aren't nearly as good as people may think because by the time you pay for Internet and the streaming service, you're close to what you would pay for typical cable TV. Also, if you don't already have cable Internet, you will need it because anything slower will probably suck. Maybe others have had luck with non cable Internet access but I haven't.

Laffin here on that. It only takes 8 mbps to stream HD. Been comfortably streaming HD tv in a tiny berg on dsl fiber for 4 years. It doesn’t take cable.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Laffin here on that. It only takes 8 mbps to stream HD. Been comfortably streaming HD tv in a tiny berg on dsl fiber for 4 years. It doesn’t take cable.

I have DSL at my camper, 3 megs, streams just fine, although I have not tried "live" sports,.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I pay for 8 mbps max but at most I got 4-5 mbps especially during broadcast of Husker football which I had no problem with in HD. My 8 year old Roku likes to to see 4-6 download for reliable function.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
I cut the cable years ago and won't ever look back. I got an OTA, over the air, antenna for local channels. I have a Roku Premiere, Amazon Fire Stick and an android box for the rest of the tv. There are a lot of tv services that you can buy, like You Tube TV, Sling, etc. Apple also makes Apple TV too.
I haven't paid for tv since 2012 and don't miss the high bills. My only bill every month is for internet access.

Same here, I finally cut the cord a couple three weeks ago, and bought a $25.00 OTA antenna at Wally World for local. That's all I really need to fall a sleep in the chair at night.

However, I just got set up to live stream shows like Fox, and I finally found free OAN to watch now too. Hook a HDMI cable from the TV to the laptop, change your TV setting to "HDMI", and watch it on the big screen.

Plenty of free shlt out there keep you entertained.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
YouTube tv. It’s also portable. I can watch it on my iPad while I’m traveling on business while my wife watches something else at home while my daughter watches something at the lake house and my son watches something else at the farm. All for ~$50/mo, assuming you have good WiFi. I was paying direct tv over $250/mo. It’s a no brainer

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody above commented about not having to run cables in your house like you do with cable providers. We have Dish, one cable from the satellite to the main receiver, then 3 TVs are ran wirelessly off of that. No other cables needed.

Our internet is a line of sight antenna to the provider 6 miles away. Speed isn’t that great. Tried doing the Hulu streaming thing for a month. Every channel flip required about 20 seconds of buffering to watch anything. Once it was loaded it played fine. Until you flipped the channel.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have Hulu and love it. Also if you are building run a coax and cat 6 to each TV location. Over the antennas are great if you get the basic Hulu, that way you can watch shows on the main networks live. If you are like me and don’t have much time to watch tv the shows are available the day after they air on Hulu. Also I am a believer of hard wiring the internet connection versus WiFi. I have a couple Apple TV’s, fire stick, and Roku. Also use Netflix, Prime, & YouTube without buffering

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
We gave up direct tv and use a firestick.

We have Disney,youtube tv,Hulu and amazon and they work well off the internet.

I also bought a digital antenna and get some channels from Lubbock that is about 60 miles away.

Some fade out during the morning but the others go all day.

Never have to want for something to watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (12savage, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,125
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.