Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ionaire-sparks-heated-debate/5189161002/

We already have trillion dollar companies. How soon before we have our first trillionaire?

According to Comparisun, a company which allows small- to medium-sized firms to compare different business products, the world's first trillionaire will likely be Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos.

Their projection shows Bezos reaching trillionaire status by 2026. The company said their projection is based on taking the average percentage of yearly growth over the past five years and applying it to future years.

Comparisun shows Bezos' net worth grew an average of 34% over the last five years.

As of Thursday morning, Bezos' net worth was estimated at $143 billion, according to Bloomberg's Billionaires Index, whilch tracks the worth of the world's richest people daily. Compared to last year, Bezos' worth has surged by more than $28 billion.

The projection has sparked anger on Twitter, noting how many people are financially struggling during the coronavirus pandemic as Bezos rakes in billions of dollars.

"Jeff Bezos is about to become the world's first trillionaire while we're about to enter a depression," said Twitter user @Thomas_A_Moore.

Talk of Bezos' potential trillionaire status follows public protests by Amazon employees over their safety as they continue to work during the coronavirus pandemic. On May 1, workers for Amazon and other companies including Instacart held a strike protesting a lack of "adequate protection in the workplace."

Amazon said it spent more than $800 million in the first half of 2020 on safety measures including masks, hand sanitizer and additional hand-washing stations at warehouses. The company also hired 175,000 new workers to keep up with demand as millions of consumers lean on Amazon to have goods delivered while stuck at home.

Earlier this month, Tim Bray, Amazon's vice president and "Distinguished Engineer" at Amazon Web Services, announced he was leaving the company over the firing of executives who spoke out against how workers were treated in their warehouses.

This is not the first time the Amazon CEO's immense fortune has faced scrutiny. In January, Bezos revealed Amazon would donate $1 million Australian dollars – or $690,000 in U.S. dollars – to wildfire recovery efforts in Australia. However, critics blasted Bezos for not doing enough in light of his wealth.

Jefferson Graham contributed to this report. Follow Brett Molina on Twitter: @brettmolina23.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wondering if Anti-Trusts will cause Amazon to divest and break up.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I was gonna' mention Antitrust Laws should be used to break-up Amazon.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bezo built a better mousetrap. Let him make his bucks until he gets into affecting policy or politics.

Nobody forced the warehouse monkeys back to work. I have a suspecion he could have put them all in hazmat suits and that wouldn't have been good enough. As pointed out in many threads, why work when you can get $1000/wk to sit on your butt at home? That's $20/hr for 40 hours of work per week for 50 weeks equivalent.

How much does pulling inventory at a warehouse pay? More than $20/hr? If it does, it can't be much more.

Those people had to go back to work because their jobs opened back up. They wanted to stay at home. Don't tell me Amazon sells coronaviruses that might get loose in the warehouse from a broken package.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Isn't he already affecting policy and politics? Seems to me when he bought the Washington Post and directed how information will be presented and what stories will be published he was affecting politics.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I found this to be interesting...

A stack of a trillion one dollar bills would be 67,866 miles high.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many wealthy people have far more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime, or several lifetimes. It becomes a game to see how much they can accumulate with no thought as to what to do with it. The parable of the rich man that Jesus told is what happens:

Luke 12:19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years [to come;] take your ease, eat, drink [and] be merry."’
20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This [very] night your soul is required of you; and [now] who will own what you have prepared?’
21 "So is the man who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CIA made him.

Maybe they'll break him if he crosses them.

PS: He won't be the first trillionaire, just the first one we may know about.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I’d say that few here have a problem with the man making money.

It’s the dominating effect of Amazon and the sheer size of it.

As Hatari said, he built a better mousetrap. I well remember at the onset how he bled money for a long while before things turned and totally believed in the concept of the business.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is he a shooter? I got some nice classics he could afford.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

As near as I can tell, the US stopped enforcing antitrust laws about 30 years ago.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many wealthy people have far more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime, or several lifetimes. It becomes a game to see how much they can accumulate with no thought as to what to do with it. The parable of the rich man that Jesus told is what happens:

Luke 12:19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years [to come;] take your ease, eat, drink [and] be merry."’
20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This [very] night your soul is required of you; and [now] who will own what you have prepared?’
21 "So is the man who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

I am guessing they have pretty healthy trusts written that are crystal clear where the money will go. You know, kind of like The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Bezo built a better mousetrap. Let him make his bucks until he gets into affecting policy or politics.

I'm sure he is. You just don't know about it.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and would it hurt that goggle eyed prick to add 5 bucks an hour onto his employees wages?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It always amazes me how the people who used the capitalist system to amass incredible fortunes are always the ones who want to destroy that very same system.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
It would take over 2700 years to go through a trillion dollars spending a million dollars per day (and that is without interest being incurred on the principle

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I remember when people bitched about the amount he donated towards the Australian fires. Made me wonder how much those ungrateful asses donated.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Futura
I remember when people bitched about the amount he donated towards the Australian fires. Made me wonder how much those ungrateful asses donated.

In reality I bet that a lot of people donated. When you scale to income/worth I would be willing to bet that 75% donated more than he did. But it is his money he can do what he pleases with it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty sure Dan Halen already beat him, after he got Early Cuyler’s secret recipe for Glug. grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

As near as I can tell, the US stopped enforcing antitrust laws about 30 years ago.

Indy, mergers were allowed and sizes of critical Corporations were done to allow the US based Corps AND banks to remain relative and viable against competition from abroad, e.g., China.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,557
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.