Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've known some people that had a lot of junk in their yard, old cars, stacks of rough sawn lumber if they had a mill, or such, but don't think I've known any hoarders like the one's I watch on TV. That's some downright scary mental problems right there. Mice all over the counter tops, cockroaches by the tens of thousands. No running water or working toilet, who lives like that and thinks it's ok? Big old stack of pizza boxes and diet pepsi bottles next to the recliner. I'd just call it so damn lazy they're self-destructing.

Crazy crazy stuff. Anyone know any hard core hoarders?

LOL

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I should really take that old toilet to the treasure pile......meh.

I am MAGA.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My aunt was as described. I dont know how much cash was found squirreled away in crazy locations. I know for a fact as I was there, we found over $5,000 cash in various envelopes and pocketbooks in the trunk if her car. I'm surprised none of the family got sick cleaning out her house. Multiple dumpsters were hauled off. You'd think she didn't have a dime but probably had over $100k in cash and various accounts and bonds. Loved her to death and oddly enough, she had the most immaculate vegetable garden every year. God rest her soul.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Old man is bat schit crazy like that. Old farm house i grew up in was abandoned for a few years so i went to live there to clean it up because he wanted to move back to it. Took me a little over a year. Remodeled and repaired the house and barn inside and out. I have pictures of before and after. Rented a bobcat to level the ground because of all of the mysterious mounds on the property. Several feet of burned tires and trash... Should have called the show out to the place to see what i was dealing with. He moved back in a couple of months after i left the place like a park. 6 months time...TRASHED. Rides his tractor along the roads picking up road debris and brings it home. Dumpster dives in town and brings home broken appliances with intention of repairing them. Unbelievable. Makes you sick and pisses you off at the same time but its his place. Im not cleaning that schit up again when he goes. Haven't been there in a couple of years and not planning on visiting any time soon. Rattlesnake haven.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Old toilets are gold these days. 3 gallons per flush baby! grin

LOL
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Old toilets are gold these days. 3 gallons per flush baby! grin

Take the lid off and the tank top, fill both with Miracle Gro potting soil and plant your tomatoes in there.

That ain’t hoarding , that’s “Utilitarian “. Waste not, want not,,,,,that kinda scchitt.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My father got like that back in the 70’s with tube radios and TVs. Worst thing was he had no idea how to even begin to repair them. Thankfully, he stored 99% of it in the barn.

When we were cleaning up the property when they went to sell and I was chucking this crap into the pickup to take it to the dump. He was whining “Be careful. They’re antiques!!”

I said “BS, they’re garbage” and kept tossing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My parents weren't hoarders, but they lived through the Great Depression. My father had car parts for vehicles he no longer had...just in case. Saved nails and rusty screws in cool-whip containers. Scrounged yard sales for bargains was a pastime. Kept extra screws, nuts and bolts from discarded appliances. Dad died first, when my mom died, it was difficult to determine what was family heirloom stuff and what was garage sale stuff.

I understand the mentality to a point, but not to the point of obsession.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Guy I knew was a first class hoarder. Retired dentist worth millions. Had millions of dollars worth of properties, great hunting land. You would of thought he was homeless by looking at him.

He had a a 40 by 60 dental office built in the middle of know where. Figured his nine kids would all become dentist. I cleaned it out for him after he was retired for a few years. Entire building was about four to six foot deep with junk. 85 percent was garbage.

His house was a real treat. He would keep his food outside in file cabinets. That was so the raccoons would not get at it. They had figured out how to open the cabinets in the house.

I could go on for hours about this crazy fool.

This really sums it up though. Sheriff was looking for wanted subject. They tracked him down to the vicinity of the property huge manhunt. Of course news showed up. They were up in the helicopter filming the cops. They were searching the yard of the house and the assorted out buildings. News reporter said the police are searching what appears to be some kind of debris field.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never known anyone like that. I guess I’m lucky.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
My aunt was as described. I dont know how much cash was found squirreled away in crazy locations. I know for a fact as I was there, we found over $5,000 cash in various envelopes and pocketbooks in the trunk if her car. I'm surprised none of the family got sick cleaning out her house. Multiple dumpsters were hauled off. You'd think she didn't have a dime but probably had over $100k in cash and various accounts and bonds. Loved her to death and oddly enough, she had the most immaculate vegetable garden every year. God rest her soul.

When my grandmother died we found many items she had bought ahead and hid away like sheets and pillowcases. The funny part was the ones on the beds were ready to go in the garbage but the new ones were never put on the beds. Found some money stashed around the house.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My goal the last couple years has been to purge all the screws with flat balde or phillips heads! Hopefully when I die they won't find anything but Torx head screws in this place LOL.

LOL
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes, unfortunately she lives at the other end of the house.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ran into a couple when I was reading gas & electric meters for a few years in my "semi" retirement job before I fully retired. Worst one was a huge, one story, ranch home in a very upscale neighborhood. My hand held showed me that nobody had been in there in a few years. I got lucky and someone who was there let me in. I think it was one of the residents adult children. Couldn't come in through the attached garage. It was floor to ceiling, wall to wall, full of cardboard boxes and plastic storage totes. Came in through a back door by the garage direct to basement stairs. Got a glimpse of the kitchen & living room with boxes & totes lining the walls up to the ceiling. The basement was packed to the rafters with the same boxes & totes with one "aisle" down the center that was so narrow I had to squeeze through sideways all the way to the other end of the basement and shine my flashlight over a pile to get a gas meter reading. Luckily the electric meter was right by the bottom of the stairs and I got that easily. There was another one where a guy lived alone in a 2 story townhouse with a basement. Had to go through the kitchen to get to the basement stairs to go down and get a gas meter reading. The dining room off the kitchen had newspapers stacked 6 ft. high taking up most of the dining room. Looked like another room on the other side of the dining room was the same way. Nice enough guy; friendly and talkative. I wanted to ask him how long it took to accumulate that many newspapers but figured I better not ask. Wanna hear about hoarders? Talk to any meter reader that is required to occasionally enter homes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my Granddad's hoarded food. I was told that when he was young, the family was dirt poor and went hungry a lot of the time. When he passed away, we found food stashed in his closets, under the bed, in the dresser, etc. All was canned goods or items that wouldn't spoil anytime soon. The house was neat as a pin and we didn't know he had the food stashed until we moved his stuff out of the house.

Grandma was crippled, he did the shopping, and I always thought it funny when I'd hear him talk of buying things in bulk, when they were on sale. Never thought about where it went. Now I realize he was hoarding it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Both parents were hoarders... they survived wartime deprivations and to this day won't throw out anything, even empty jars. About 6 years ago we moved them to assisted living and cleaned out their old house. Three freezers, two fridges and a 500 sq foot storage room packed with canned goods and a garage full of junk that was accumulated over 45 years.

It took four of those huge debris containers (the ones the size of a conex) to hold all the old food and garbage they had hoarded.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Anyone else been a military detailed slave recruiter???

Sure if anyone has they can tell ya about having a appt with a prospect in their schithole USA home.

BTDT....

Hoarders of Maine...
LOL!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Grandmother has a shed for her "things". I think it's 32x60. I told my mother if she ever needs a shed, I'm having her committed. Gram's house is clean but the basement and shed, yikes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Cleaned out my parents house of 60 years. Still can't believe how much stuff came out of that 1100 sq ft post war bungalow!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Where is the line between just-in-case hoarding, and mental illness pack-ratting?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 63 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.