Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the reason i posted this is, everytime you see someone post ,like which rings are should i buy, or which scope should i buy . 90%of the answers will be only the very expensive stuff ,when you can put the cheapest rings and scope on most rifles and kill a animal as far as you can see him. i've killed them and seen many friends do it as well with 15.00 rings and a 50.00 scope. and over the years i've seen just as many high end scopes fail as cheaper ones.

When I use a $50 scope the rings don�t matter much, unless my intent is to later replace the scope.

When I use a $200-$350 scope I opt for more expensive rings. Unfortunately quality doesn�t come free and you often/usually get what you pay for. If you want to chance rings that may be misaligned and/or machined to generous tolerances, and have poor support from the manufacturer, go for the cheapies. Tight tolerances, extra features and good factory support will cost more.

My first scope was a $49 (or was it $39?) Bushnell 3-9x Sportview, purchased in 1982. That scope performed yeoman�s work until 2001 when I finally replaced it. Everything I shot using that scope died quickly, but optical quality really sucked. The last time I purchased a used rifle it came a newer model of the Sportview and optical quality was so poor, compared to the scopes I normally use these days, I took it off immediately.

Have never had rings or bases fail but have had scope failures (Bushnell and Leuold). The Bushnell was a throw-away because factory repair cost considerably more than a new replacement scope; the Leupold, purchased used, went back to the factory and was fixed for free.

As a result of my experiences, my recommendation is to buy quality. If $50 scopes and $15 rings are all you can afford, get them. For most, however, $150-$200 for a scope (new or used) and $65 for rings and bases is within reach. My Marlins all sport Warne Quick Detach rings and bases ($65), my Rugers have Ruger rings ($75 when I need a different height), my lone Remington has Leupold rings and bases (can�t recall the cost) and most of my scopes are used Leupold ($100-$350).

I�m not an equipment snob but have come to recognize and appreciate differences in quality. There is a great deal of difference between the cheap stuff and the moderately priced stuff. There is also a great deal of difference between the moderately priced stuff and the top-end stuff, but the cost/benefit ratio is not as great as between the cheap and moderately priced stuff. IMHO.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/16/07.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Coyote: Good post.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Ngrumba: I ordered the 470 (over the 450) mostly for brass availability. I've shot Blasers & Chapuis and seen Kreighoff,Rigby, H&H, and WR. Once I saw the Heym I was done for. The Blaser was a 470 with a LH stock and it felt better than the Chapuis in .375 with a RH stock.
FWIW, I find the 470's recoil to be less than the 416 Rigby with full loads. Some of this I know is fit, but also the 416 is "faster" and "sharper" -- I can shoot more per session without tiring with the 470. Mostly I've always wanted one and now was a good time as an Africa trip is about 1.5-2.0 years out smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1Coyote!

SRW brings up a fair point. There are some posters here that make it sound like anything less than a custom leup 30mm tactical sitting in $200 rings and bases will not function. I submit most of us would disagree with that.

The simple fact that you are at this site implies that you are a gun geek. A Rem 700 that shoots sub moa is a good rifle. It is also not overly interesting. A custom rifle is generally more interesting to this crowd. Custom rifles are not inexpensive. Human nature is to talk about that which is interesting. I believe that's why a lot of the posting here involves cool but expensive hardware.

However, there are some people here (like elsewhere in life)who do like to play "mine's bigger". A gentleman should always respond tho their insecurity with grace.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
However, there are some people here (like elsewhere in life)who do like to play "mine's bigger". A gentleman should always respond tho their insecurity with grace
A gentleman wouldn't mention it wink

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
did i forget to mention that these rifles have taken somewhere between 175-200 whitetails, 10-12 bear,and at least 2000 groundhogs.

and 280rem,for most hunting you dont gain a thing by buying better glass . most shots are within 200yds on deer , and you need very little power for that, infact most whitetails i've takin i really wouldn't have needed a scope at all.

someone said there first scope was a bushnell sportview,i have one i bought new in about 1980-81 i had it on my 700 rem til i fell and scratched the side of it up. i still use it ,its on my cva hunterbolt muzzleloader and i've killed 30plus deer with it on that gun.

the most expensive scope i own is on my rem xp100 in 221FB
,its a burris 2-7 . ofcourse i bought for half price at a yard sale still in the box.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well you must be the luckiest sum's a bitch to have taken all that game and shot that many rounds without so much as a hick up with that fine selection of optics ya run...I'd be in line for a PowerBall ticket if I was you....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

Put any of that glass on a 300 or 338 see how long it lasts. I'm thinking the over-under be 3 shots smile

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and 280rem,for most hunting you dont gain a thing by buying better glass . most shots are within 200yds on deer , and you need very little power for that, infact most whitetails i've takin i really wouldn't have needed a scope at all.

There's a prime example of what I'm talking about...you're not capable of understanding the answers to the questions you've asked.

ditto dvdegeorge!

Last edited by .280Rem; 06/16/07.

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Horse and water come to mind....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hadn't thunk of it that way, but yep!

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately these days, it's getting even harder just to lead the horse to water, much less drink ...

there's some damn stubborn horses around these here parts ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the most expensive scope i own is on my rem xp100 in 221FB
,its a burris 2-7 . ofcourse i bought for half price at a yard sale still in the box.

Don�t get me wrong, I�m not bashing Sportviews. When I got my first one back in 1982 the $39 or $49 I spent for it was a stretch financially and I seriously considered using sticking with the iron sights on my Ruger 7mm Rem Mag. As it turned out the Bushnell Sportview rode the 7mm Rem Mag for 20 years and took a lot of game. Further, based on the abuse it survived, was a fairly rugged piece of equipment.

There is a reason you can still buy Sportview scopes new for $39, and it isn�t because they are top quality. It isn�t because they are nitrogen filled or have 1/4� click adjustments or quality optics that deliver brighter, crisper and clearer images. It isn�t because they are manufactured to tight tolerances or have a great warranty,

I agree better optical clarity doesn�t count for much on a bright day when a deer is standing in the open at 200 yards, but not all shooting is done in bright conditions or even at deer. Quite frankly, my Sportview was a PITA in low-light situations and when trying to shoot tiny groups at long ranges it was far from my first choice.

Thanks, but I�ll take my Leupold, Burris or even my Simmons scopes every time. By the way, you can buy them used, too � and most of mine were.

Question � I�m going to assume your Burris 2-7 cost a bit more than a $39 Sportview (still available at swfa.com as today). If there is no advantage, why did you spend the extra money?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So if a person doesn't shoot one of those big magnums, does he have to spend a lot of cash on a scope?

A 7 mag probaby doesn't qulaify as a big magnum, but I ran a Weaver V-7 that cost about $60 on it for over 15 years without a hick up using Weaver bases, shooting about 100-150 rds a year.
I think alot of guys refer to hersay when talking about scope failure. How many scope failures have you actaully encountered in your life?

Have had $18 Busnells on rifles up though Leupold VX-III on rifles. Interesting ,the only scope that went south was a Leuopld 3-9x. All took a lot of scabbard beating.

The first deer I killed was with a .410 shotgun shooting a 45 colt 250 gr lead bullet out through that smooth bore at about 40 yds. Yea it can be done

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I run what I run from personal experience.Have had cheap Bushnell,Simmons,Tasco and Weavers crap on me ,and usually it was at a most inopportune time...Run what ever works for you

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wow, 100-150 rounds a year! How do you find the time?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bwinters, the simmons has held up to over a 100 rds a year for the 5-6 yrs.and that light 110 savage in 7mm mag has plenty of
recoil.

coyote hunter, i only payd 125.00 for the burris new in the box,some guy bought and sold the same week,he said he just didnt like it.

280rem,i'm beginning to wonder if your capable of anything........

Last edited by srwshooter; 06/16/07.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
As DJ Paintless stated above:

My best hunting buddy is a trophy hunter. He has more trophies hanging on his wall than anybody I know. .... He shot them all with a Remington 700 that was given to him and chambered in 30-06. He saved his money for four years and had it stocked with a Brown Precision. He saved another 8 years and scope it with a Swarovski. Only one of his critters was whacked with the Swarovski. Prior scope was a lowly K-Mart Blue Light Special: 3-9x Leupold Gold Ring as they were known then.

Of the group of 5-6 hunters my dad elk hunted with from the early 60's through the 70's, the guy who killed the most elk used a beat-up M721, with a RIMFIRE scope, and his handloads consisted of whatever brass he could scrounge (regardless of brand) what ever kind of powder worked (he would sometimes be shooting 2-3 different powders), and any bullet--just as long as was 180 grainers.

My dad has been using a M77 06 he bought in 1969, with a mid 60's Bushnell Scopechief......the last time it was sighted in on paper was the early 90's (I know, I'm the one who did it).......that rifle has probably accounted for 30+ elk.

It's about the hunter.....something we don't pay much attention to on these websites..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
280rem,i'm beginning to wonder if your capable of anything........

Based on what I've read so far about your ability to evaluate and understand the capabilities of various guns and optics...I'll take that for what it's worth. Nada!

War Damn Eagle!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

A 7 mag probaby doesn't qulaify as a big magnum, but I ran a Weaver V-7 that cost about $60 on it for over 15 years without a hick up using Weaver bases, shooting about 100-150 rds a year.

So you have between 1500 and 2250 rounds through that tube....Barrel has to be showing accuracy problems by now....[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.