Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What do you men think about restaurants (for example) doing ‘this’...?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/m...s-surcharge-causes-social-media-backlash

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nope. Not go. I'll tip big and heavy when I go back to a restaurant, but anyone who imposes a covid tax, so to speak, will never see my business again.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Restaurant near us starting doing it last week. $1 per entree, itemized on bill

They advertised that they were going to be starting the policy instead of increasing menu prices to help offset price increases of meat(they are a burger joint) and to help pay bills/payroll.

Local news station picked it up pretty quick, overwhelmingly people have been supportive of it.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i think you can get covid à la carte

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Trying to survive. At least maybe customers now know about it beforehand and aren't blindsided by a charge on the bill.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Nope. Not go. I'll tip big and heavy when I go back to a restaurant, but anyone who imposes a covid tax, so to speak, will never see my business again.

Would you support them raising their menu prices instead?

My initial reaction was similar to yours at first until I saw how one of our local restaurants did it, their reasoning, and how they announced it.

Last edited by jklund38; 05/15/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ate at a BBQ restaurant in Fredericksburg, Tx. yesterday. Two sliced beef sandwiches, 1 potato salad, 2 teas came to $29 and some change. That included my surcharge I guess. It was my 1st time eating there. I was my last time eating there.

BP...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
I ate at a BBQ restaurant in Fredericksburg, Tx. yesterday. Two sliced beef sandwiches, 1 potato salad, 2 teas came to $29 and some change. That included my surcharge I guess. It was my 1st time eating there. I was my last time eating there.

BP...

u got took

but in other places that's cheap

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It sounds like a stupid tax

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there’s one thing I know about the restaurant business it’s that it’s competitive.

A COVID tax would not sit well with me. Charge market price, I don’t care, I’m still going to leave a disgustingly large tip for my fajitas tomorrow. But, I have an aversion to gimmicks and gotchas of any kind.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Many restaurants will close. Food cost is up, business is down. A surcharge is much easier than changing menus.

I think it’s pretty sad for people to receive the government stimulus money and an extra $600 per week on unemployment and then complain about a couple of extra dollars to eat out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Like Dutch, I have an aversion to gimmicks and gotchas. In general, I prefer upfront pricing so I know what I'm paying for, and can easily make a decision whether I want to buy or not. I don't like odd size packaging and I've never liked the $9.99 BS.

That said, at least the COVID surcharge is in the upfront category.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Be up front about it large plain signage. Make sure its on all the menus. Explain the reason why. Or just increase prices slightly across the board and explain why as well.

Or use it as a marketing tool saying your not charging it so you hope your customers will show their generosity toward their servers.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, they want that, then I expect a similar discount for my travel time and expense to their establishment...

if they blind side you with that side when you get your bill... pay in cash and refuse to pay their surcharge.. let them not want you to come back.. and let them know you will be sharing your experiences with about anyone else you personally know..

do someone a good turn and they will tell at least 10 people about their experience at their business..
screw someone over, and that person will tell everyone who will listen, about their experiences at your business...
I've told many a business that, who blind side ya with charges like that...and let them decide if it is that important to them..
and If they do, I'll still refuse to pay it unless they pay my charges for my travel time and expense to their establishment...

During this CV 19 bull Schitt, when my family has gone out to get food to go, we have been leaving a 25% tip on top of the charges, just to help out business owners in their time of need.... but they pull adding a surcharge.. they can forget about it..
because if they post that charge at the front door, I'd respect that, but chose to just leave their establishment.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the business imo. If it's a business clearly hit hard by this stupid lockdown, I understand it. They need to make money. If it's a place like Dominoes, which is probably actually making more money on take out pizza, then no.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One size doesn't fit all.

Is it chain, or local?
If local, have they always treated me well? Do I like the owners?
Does the restaurant already charge a premuin for food because the ambiance inside, which I can't enjoy via takeout?
Were they transparent about the upcharge?
Are they usually active in the community and good citizens?

I haven't seen any upcharges in my town, but there are a small handful of local places we love to frequent that I'd consider paying, if it helps to keep them afloat.

Last edited by duck911; 05/15/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good post, Duck

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw a story on that today, and the reasoning. Makes sense. And actually LABELING it what it is, is something I support fully.

The sheeple all worked up over this chinese cold calling for lockdowns etc. etc. etc. need to be hit in the wallet for it to sink in how stupid they are.

I'd rather they tack on a surcharge and label it than just raise their prices.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Buy American!" "Support local business!"

Unless they add a surcharge to cover extra costs associated with this bullshcidt.

Then "fugg them"

lolol

MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I guess we better get those essential workers back to work. Better yet, let ranchers sell direct to the customer and cut out the middle man.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.