Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...er-green-beret-ronald-shurer-dies-at-41/

Medal of Honor recipient and Army Special Forces veteran former Staff Sgt. Ronald J. Shurer died Thursday, according to the unit he served under in Afghanistan.

Prior to his passing, Shurer, 41, was undergoing treatment for lung cancer at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. He said Wednesday that he would soon be taken off a ventilator, an often difficult and sometimes dangerous medical procedure.

“Very upset to write this.... been unconscious for a week. They are going to try and take it out in a couple hours, they can’t tell me if it will work,” Shurer wrote in an Instagram post from his hospital bed, pictured with his wife, Miranda.

Shurer was awarded the Medal of Honor in October 2018 for his actions as a Green Beret medic with 3rd Special Forces Group during the Battle of Shok Valley in northeastern Afghanistan a decade earlier.

“Ron was the embodiment of the Special Forces soldier, a dedicated husband, and a loving father," said 3rd Group commander Col. Nathan Prussian in a statement. "His heroic actions were an inspiration throughout 3rd Special Forces Group, Special Forces Regiment and the U.S. Army. Our condolences go out to his family during this difficult time.”

Shurer, a 2001 graduate of Washington State University, was pursuing a master’s degree when the September 11, 2001 terror attacks prompted him to enlist. Even after leaving the Army, his desire to help others continued.

Shurer last lived in the Washington, D.C. area. He regularly attended events there and in Fayetteville, North Carolina, to help raise funds for the Special Forces Charitable Trust, a charity that offers sustainable support to the families of Green Berets.

“Anytime I reached out to him and asked if he could do something, he always said yes,” said the trust’s executive director, David T. Guernsey, Jr. “He would be very happy to come.”

Shurer’s Medal of Honor was an upgrade from an earlier Silver Star Medal he received for his actions during the April 6, 2008 gun battle in Nuristan’s Shok Valley. A Pentagon review determined Shurer’s actions as part of a team sent to capture or kill several high-ranking members of the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin militant group warranted the nation’s highest valor award.

“This award is not mine. This award wouldn’t exist without the team,” Shurer said of the Medal of Honor. “If they weren’t doing their job, I wouldn’t have been able to do my job.”

Staff Sgt. Ronald J. Shurer II received the Medal of Honor for his actions in Afghanistan on April 6, 2008.
The joint American-Afghan special operations team was dropped by CH-47 helicopters into a valley beneath an insurgent stronghold perched on terrain much more treacherous than initially anticipated during mission planning. The coalition forces came under enemy machine gun, sniper and rocket-propelled grenade fire during their movement, suffering several casualties and trapping them on a mountainside.

Initially pinned at the base of a wadi by enemy fire himself, Shurer received word that the forward assault element was unable to move due to their casualties. He then fought his way up steep terrain to render aid and evacuate the wounded.

Shurer braved a “hail of bullets and began scaling the rock face to get to the casualties,” according to his citation. Shurer fought through several hundred meters under fire, for more than an hour, killing several insurgents as he trudged to his besieged teammates. When he finally arrived, he treated four critically wounded U.S. troops and ten injured Afghan Commandos.

“Despite being hit in the helmet and wounded in the arm by Insurgent sniper fire, he immediately pulled his team sergeant to a covered position, and rendered aid as Insurgent rounds impacted inches from their location,” the citation reads. “Without hesitation, he moved back through heavy Insurgent fire to treat another teammate that suffered a traumatic amputation of his right leg from Insurgent sniper fire.”

Shurer, the only medic tending to the beleaguered forward element, provided medical care for more than five hours as they fought off an estimated 200 insurgents.

For their heroism in battle, 10 members of the team from 3rd Group received the Silver Star. This was the highest number of such awards for a single engagement since the Vietnam war, according to the congressional record from that time.

Shurer left the Army in 2009 and became a special agent with the Secret Service, first being posted to the Phoenix, Arizona office. He relocated with his wife and two sons to the Washington, D.C. area in 2014 to be part of a specialized Secret Service tactical team that defends the president.

“Today, we lost an American Hero: Husband, Father, Son, Medal of Honor Recipient - Special Agent Ronald J. Shurer II,” the Secret Service said on their Twitter account. “From a grateful Nation and Agency — your memory and legacy will live on forever. Rest In Peace.”

About Kyle Rempfer
Kyle is a staff reporter for Military Times, focusing on the U.S. Army. He served an enlistment as an Air Force Special Tactics CCT and JTAC.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Damn it! Rest Warrior, and may God wrap his arms around you and your family.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RIP warrior.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well done Servant.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
RIP Sir !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RIP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He survives all of that only to die from cancer.

Memory Eternal.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow. Words fail me.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
RIP Green Beret!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sad sad news , rest in peace . Thanks God !!!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That’s a tough one to process. Lung cancer at 41 ? I know several veterans suffering from cancer at an unusually young age. One is in hospice care now and probably had his last lucid conversation two days ago. I worry about several more friends who served many deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and are now in their late thirties and early forties and suffering health problems more common to elderly people. I believe our combat veterans have been exposed to very toxic conditions under severe strain and are paying a terrible price. I’m very sad to hear of this loss of a true warrior hero at such a young age. I pry for the family.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
RIP, Sir.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Valhalla is yours.....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sad tale indeed. God bless him and his family.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sad end to an American hero
Prayers for his family
RIP, Sir

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
His life made all of ours better, just by him living the way he did RIP.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder;
why it should be thus all the day long.
While there are others living about us;
never molested though in the wrong.

Farther along we'll know all about it,
farther along we'll understand why.
Cheer up my brother, live in the sun shine;
Well understand it all by and by.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP warrior.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rest easy, Staff SGT Shurer.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad news. Rest easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.