-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hold everything. Having had about a dozen of these things, what has worked the best for me is an aluminum flat bed trailer and a street legal CT110 Honda with lower gearing and full knobby tires. First off a single cylinder is not nearly as smooth as a twin and it will be screaming out on the highway. Highways are not fun with a light weight dirt bike with dirt tires. Then what are you doing going 55 mph through the woods? Faster bikes go faster and crashes happen. Been there with a Husqvarna CR360 two stroke. The Honda XR350R or 250 Bultaco Matador had the best power band for the woods, but they weren't street legal and too heavy. Choose a four stroke that you can reach the ground from with good suspension. I'm just replacing walking these days communing with nature with a smaller trail bike, not out to see how fast I can get down a dirt road. Highways are for cars, trucks and the bigger bikes and not so much the bikes either. Did that too and never again.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB4

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hold on! What are Jim's trails?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Most important question..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go on a scouting trip and define the speeds that you will need to maintain on the paved roads to avoid becoming a smear..
Factor that in your decision.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 05/16/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Main requirements are:
- Total noob at any kind of off road riding so it has to be easy to ride, emphasis on easy.
- Getting older so don't need or want to go fast or long distances off road and don't want to go on long camping trips, just putt putt at---> ''''''' 10-25 mph on logging roads and trails for a few hours''''''-----. I quit being immortal 15 years ago so not gonna do anything crazy.
- I'm only 5' 9" so a lower seat height is better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No such thing as 'running out of suspension' cruising logging roads ,, 'getting bounced off of the trail?' = adjust your rebound setting - slower .

The quiet reliable 80MPG , low seat height TW200 with a rear rack made right in your neck of the woods would be a great bike .
I'm 6' 3'' and wouldn't choose anything over the tw from what you say you want.need .

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/16/20.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I sold my TW to my brother last week, an '012 with 168 miles, had a bunch of strokes, no riding. Not good for hiways , too slow.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Get a Beta 300 x-trainer and skip the rest of those bikes...trust me on this. I have ridden them all and the some...for a living at one point as a Trail Ranger for IDPR fwtw.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Or maybe a CR500R or KX500R

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Perfect bike for cruising logging roads .

Posted by Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike

This is definitely the way to go. Fast and fugging furious! Make a statement on your way to the Pearly Gates! Get some!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I love that video.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Note to the peanut gallery. "Logging roads" is a highly variable term... Forest singletrack or high desert two-tracks? Come on Jim, buy something already!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tanks for watching our wideo.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think I'm going to buy a 250L and drive out to tikka land this fall.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s a schit ton of cool little play bikes on the market.

If your mostly riding dirt a little TTr or CRF 230 size bike would be fun with a DS kit. Assuming Idaho is easy to DS a bike?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Idaho must be a free state. Washington was following California, no DS kits! Submit!

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Suzuki DRZ 400 Supermoto.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho must be a free state. Washington was following California, no DS kits! Submit!

It’s stupid easy in WA.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/offroadmotorcycles.html

Put lights, horn, and dot tires on your 2 stroke YZ250 and have at it.

Last edited by MadMooner; 05/16/20.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That's a good question, they'd be the same kind I used to ride my little ATV on.

Hundreds of miles of this available:
[Linked Image from fs.usda.gov]

Combined with a fair bit of this:
[Linked Image from s0.geograph.org.uk]

And this:
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

But not this::
[Linked Image from assets.change.org]

And absolutely not this:
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was out working on the range this morning and as I was driving back I followed a small pickup with one of those motorcycle hitch carriers and some kind of dirt bike on it. Seemed like a good setup.

That seems like it might be the best way of all to go. Combine a light, easy riding motorcycle like the TW200 with a single bike hitch carrier. That takes the highway driving completely out of the picture since I could drive my CRV anywhere, even a couple of hours away to get to a trail head and go from there. A smaller bike and the hitch still wouldn't exceed a 350 tongue weight which is what my little Honda is rated for.

It also opens the door to full blown off road bikes but those all tend to be pretty high except the smallest models made for kids.

Thanks again for all the replies so far, lots to think about. Half the fun in buying something new is doing the research like this.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12savage, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,908
Posts18,479,434
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.