Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right. I feel the same way about snakes, for the most part they will always get a pass from me. I watched the video the OP put up. You have a guy saying "I have to save this tarpon's life" but he wasn't willing to cut the line. If he really gave a damn about the tarpon, cut it. The fact they kept it hooked while the shark was after it shows they cared more about the video than the tarpon. The shark wasn't the bad guy in that video, the angler was if you cared about the tarpon.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
How about flies and mosquitoes. They just do what nature intended them to. They arent evil. Sheesh. Insight of the decade.

Same philosophy of the preservationists in the game depts.

Sacramento Mts of SE NM have plenty of not evil coyotes and lions and probably soon to be lobos. Try to find a deer though, outside of the community city parks.

40 years ago you could archery hunt in the fall and see 20 -40 deer a day. Now if you see two or three it was a good day.

Ah, the wonders of modern wildlife "management", well, on public land anyway.

Go to private land in Texas managed completely different and still see 20-40 deer a day. I wonder why.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/16/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Electromagnetic signals they pick up on are inboard/outboard engines , they're also pick up white pointy shapes floating on the surface ..

This is what they are forced to fall back on when there ain’t engines and hooked and played out tarpons. Wouldn’t surprise me if that hammered used its vision little if at all to locate and follow that tarpon, more’n a few birds are the same way, and not just kiwis.

Cool video. Thanks for putting that up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
How about flies and mosquitoes. They just do what nature intended them to. They arent evil. Sheesh. Insight of the decade.

I don't go out of my way to kill every one of those on the planet. Do you have any idea how many different species rely on flies and mosquitoes as their food source? Like it or not we aren't the only species on the planet. Animals do as nature intends them to. What part of that is so hard to grasp? As to your video if those anglers really cared about saving that tarpon's life like they said then they would have cut the line. A healthy tarpon will out swim and out maneuver that shark. So who is really responsible for that fish getting bitten in half? Newsflash it wasn't the shark.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Tell it to the tons of trout and redfish they "harvest".

I'm almost as good a human as you. I dont go out of my to kill any of the endangered flies or mosquitoes either, if they dont get in the house or land on me while outdoors.

I wonder if you're smart enough to figure out what happens to populations of doves, ducks and quail when they are harvested by man, foxes, hawks, owls, coyotes and raccoons but the coyotes, raccoons, foxes, hawks and owls arent.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Electromagnetic signals they pick up on are inboard/outboard engines , they're also pick up white pointy shapes floating on the surface ..

This is what they are forced to fall back on when there ain’t engines and hooked and played out tarpons. Wouldn’t surprise me if that hammered used its vision little if at all to locate and follow that tarpon, more’n a few birds are the same way, and not just kiwis.

Cool video. Thanks for putting that up.

Here’s the one I was looking for. With respect to running down healthy tarpon, turns out hammerheads are built to turn on a dime relative to other sharks rather than speed, makes sense when you see how they hunt.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Someone has to post a picture of a cow killing a dandelion to explain why I kill cows. Some guys kill stuff just to show they can. Doesn't make them special; doesn't make them smart. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right. I feel the same way about snakes, for the most part they will always get a pass from me. I watched the video the OP put up. You have a guy saying "I have to save this tarpon's life" but he wasn't willing to cut the line. If he really gave a damn about the tarpon, cut it. The fact they kept it hooked while the shark was after it shows they cared more about the video than the tarpon. The shark wasn't the bad guy in that video, the angler was if you cared about the tarpon.

Excuse me while I hurl!!!!!! Have you always been a Texan or are you originally from NEW YORK CITY?? I kill every predator I can and will continue doing so.

Jim

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MAC
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right.

This is my point. If you want to kill a legal shark for consumption or to just drive around to show it off at the local watering holes until it rots in the back of your truck, go for it.

But isn't killing a shark just to kill it, essentially poaching? (Serious question) And aren't you taking a resource away from legal shark fisherman when you do so just like the shark took that Tarpon away?

Comparing killing of sharks to a coyote is ridiculous.

The last I heard sharks don't come into a cow pasture and kill a calf.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
The calf is the property of someone. The trout and redfish and flounder are the property of the people of Texas. I guess since we only eat them instead of make money selling them they dont count.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting, the way I understood it the heads of hammerheads are designed for a cruise fairly close to the bottom picking up the electromagnetic signals of prey, you wouldn’t think of them so much is something that chases down free swimming fish at the top.

It makes me wonder what sort of cues an exhausted stressed out and struggling tarpon might put out, it seems like the shark would have little chance of catching a healthy free-swimming tarpon.

their heads allow them to be able to turn much quicker than other sharks, more maneuverable.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The calf is the property of someone. The trout and redfish and flounder are the property of the people of Texas. I guess since we only eat them instead of make money selling them they dont count.

With that reasoning, wouldn't the sharks also be the "property" of the people of Texas? Are their any dedicated shark fisherman in Texas? (Serious question)

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

God put sharks in the ocean to provide nourishment for mankind. Like it or not we are at the top of the food chain.

I’m going to have to insist that you cite a source for this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Sharks don't come up on land and attack people in their environment. Leave em alone. They're just doing what God made em to do.

Ron

Sheesh. How long until we cant kill alligator gar that snap up 5 lb bass. Oh yeah, now we are allowed one a day and Rayburn and Texas rivers are full of them.

Coyotes and wolves dont attack people.

You live trap rats and mice and release them? Flies?

The Disney crew is doing well.

that one gar you catch has to be reported to tp&w within 24hrs and it's about time they put regulations in, they were being way overfished. also, they put in a minimum 48 inch size limit.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Originally Posted by MAC

Excuse me while I hurl!!!!!! Have you always been a Texan or are you originally from NEW YORK CITY?? I kill every predator I can and will continue doing so.

Jim

Murderer.

I'm sure there are those who will say we can still help our game birds out as it's legal to hunt coins and coyotes and foxes. With the type of good guys on the fire I wonder how much longer that will remain true.

All it will eventually take is some city slicker preservationist getting a college degree and doing a study like they did with desert sand lizards to do a study saying our populations of same are declining.

You'd think there was a plan behind it if you didnt drink the PC kool-aid.

Like Texas biologists saying we have a diminishing gator gar population and people swallow that BS hook, line and sinker.

Who did the gar population studies 150 years ago? All we had them in were a few medium sized rivers.

Now, we have huge freshwater man made lakes full of the basturds, but yeah, they are in a historical decline. BS. Rayburn, T Bend, Livingston, and 50 other lakes are full of them. But hey, if you're lucky you can still catch a mess of bass to eat, if you are armed and defend yourself from those better than you who think only gars and ospreys are those that should eat them.

Hey, there are whites and crappie and carp for us, Mr. Well, for a little while, anyway.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just did a quick google and 100 million sharks are killed every year, mostly by China for fin soup.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, I'm glad to hear they are good for something.

I wonder if that's better than batsoup.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Human intervention is key to leveling the playing field across species.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Human intervention is key to leveling the playing field across species.

Amen. And the leftests are destroying that symbiotic relationship.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be offshore mon-wens. we will probably catch a few sharks but turn most loose unless we decide to keep our one a day and those will be smaller ones to eat especially blacktips or spinners, they are damn good eating. Brian and a couple of my buddy's caught a nice mako last month it was tagged and released.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.