Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For cripes sake we gotta get real here.

We use to catch sharks on long line rigs by the hundreds.
The market was and is for the fins.
We'd strip the fins and cut the carcass open so they'd sink and dump them over board.

I had a pet food market for white roe Mullet (males) and they wouldn't touch those sharks, so over board they always went.

The only way you could market the shark fin's was to dry them first, I'd have fin's hanging from strings all around my back patio.
Even though the fins brought good money, they were sold by the pound and I'll tell ya right now it takes a schit load of fins to make a pound once they are dried.

They are quite comparable weight wise to dried Morel mushrooms vs fresh.

We fished the crap outta those sharks along the Florida coast through the 70's and 80's.

Florida prohibited finning in 1992, with federal law following in 2000, by requiring sharks be landed in whole condition. In 2010, the Shark Conservation Act strengthened prohibition, making it unlawful to remove fins at sea, have possession of fins aboard a fishing vessel, or transfer fins from one vessel to another at sea.
An international prohibition was adopted in 2005. There are still no international limits on shark catch that I am aware of, it's just all about slowing down the massive fin harvest.

You can still kill sharks, you just can't do it for the profit in the fin's.

I never saw a shortage of sharks in all those years.
During the same time frame we wiped out the Red Drum with commercial harvest as well as the King Mackerel.

Florida is and has always been short on fish management skills. It's always everything or nothing.

The King's and Red's came back after the fishing of them was banned, saltwater species seem to have a knack for that.....

Before the question is asked, those shark fin's were used to make soup which not so long ago was pretty popular in seafood restaurants in the coastal regions around the south....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Originally Posted by MAC
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right. I feel the same way about snakes, for the most part they will always get a pass from me. I watched the video the OP put up. You have a guy saying "I have to save this tarpon's life" but he wasn't willing to cut the line. If he really gave a damn about the tarpon, cut it. The fact they kept it hooked while the shark was after it shows they cared more about the video than the tarpon. The shark wasn't the bad guy in that video, the angler was if you cared about the tarpon.

Excuse me while I hurl!!!!!! Have you always been a Texan or are you originally from NEW YORK CITY?? I kill every predator I can and will continue doing so.

Jim

Murderer.

I'm sure there are those who will say we can still help our game birds out as it's legal to hunt coins and coyotes and foxes. With the type of good guys on the fire I wonder how much longer that will remain true.

All it will eventually take is some city slicker preservationist getting a college degree and doing a study like they did with desert sand lizards to do a study saying our populations of same are declining.

You'd think there was a plan behind it if you didnt drink the PC kool-aid.

Like Texas biologists saying we have a diminishing gator gar population and people swallow that BS hook, line and sinker.

Who did the gar population studies 150 years ago? All we had them in were a few medium sized rivers.

Now, we have huge freshwater man made lakes full of the basturds, but yeah, they are in a historical decline. BS. Rayburn, T Bend, Livingston, and 50 other lakes are full of them. But hey, if you're lucky you can still catch a mess of bass to eat, if you are armed and defend yourself from those better than you who think only gars and ospreys are those that should eat them.

Hey, there are whites and crappie and carp for us, Mr. Well, for a little while, anyway.

Gar feed primarily on carp and buffalo Ralph and they have been overfish mainly by bowfishing.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Ghost, I could try some shark fin soup but I'd have to carry a big book of the sharks of NA with me and a computer to see what sizes and numbers humans are allowed to eat. We cant eat some of the slow species of sharks other sharks eat. You can go to jail for eating the type only other sharks are allowed to eat.

The result is most people say to hell with it. You'd think there was a govt plan behind that plan if you were a conspiracy theorist- or realist.

They cant figure out that when people are afraid of getting cited for killing a shark, the bad sharks (the ones in high supply) that kill and eat the good sharks (the ones in short supply) just dont get killed and their populations remain high. Humm, maybe they did figure that out.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/16/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Jag,

It sounds to me like you want to save the fish population by not having any regulations. If that happened, humans would wipe out your preferred species long before sharks.

IMHO & YMMV

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I just did a quick google and 100 million sharks are killed every year, mostly by China for fin soup.

That is great news, it means there are still schit loads of sharks.....

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Originally Posted by MAC
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right. I feel the same way about snakes, for the most part they will always get a pass from me. I watched the video the OP put up. You have a guy saying "I have to save this tarpon's life" but he wasn't willing to cut the line. If he really gave a damn about the tarpon, cut it. The fact they kept it hooked while the shark was after it shows they cared more about the video than the tarpon. The shark wasn't the bad guy in that video, the angler was if you cared about the tarpon.

Excuse me while I hurl!!!!!! Have you always been a Texan or are you originally from NEW YORK CITY?? I kill every predator I can and will continue doing so.

Jim

Murderer.

I'm sure there are those who will say we can still help our game birds out as it's legal to hunt coins and coyotes and foxes. With the type of good guys on the fire I wonder how much longer that will remain true.

All it will eventually take is some city slicker preservationist getting a college degree and doing a study like they did with desert sand lizards to do a study saying our populations of same are declining.

You'd think there was a plan behind it if you didnt drink the PC kool-aid.

Like Texas biologists saying we have a diminishing gator gar population and people swallow that BS hook, line and sinker.

Who did the gar population studies 150 years ago? All we had them in were a few medium sized rivers.

Now, we have huge freshwater man made lakes full of the basturds, but yeah, they are in a historical decline. BS. Rayburn, T Bend, Livingston, and 50 other lakes are full of them. But hey, if you're lucky you can still catch a mess of bass to eat, if you are armed and defend yourself from those better than you who think only gars and ospreys are those that should eat them.

Hey, there are whites and crappie and carp for us, Mr. Well, for a little while, anyway.

Gar feed primarily on carp and buffalo Ralph and they have been overfish mainly by bowfishing.

I've seen different.

Mainly you can still catch some bass in Rayburn because BASS and public sentiment have made keeping any verboten. Also, Texas wildlife recs against eating them due to toxins. Oh, it was ok years ago before they started protecting Texas rivers from toxic inflow, but not now. They are dangerous now.

It would blow your mind to see their recommended restricted list.

Now we are starting to have professional walley and crappie competitions. It wont be long before they are on the MORE protected list.

I was fishing Ratburn and Livingston before they ever completely filled up.

25 years later there were still schools of bass coming up and covering a few acres. Thousands. Get a limit of 10 iirc from 3-6 pounds. But, that was back when commercial buffalo fishermen ran long nets catching buffalo. They also caught and killed thousands of gator and and other big gar. Yeah, sometimes they would get a catfish or big bass. I knew some of those men

BASS came along and raised hell fearing commercial fishermen were carrying a bass home at times and eating one. BS, the fines for getting caught with a netted bass would put a man out of business.

They werent concerned about the fact carp and buffalo suck up billions of game fish eggs a year. You could worm fish submerged creeks through timber and find a huge area with 4-7 lb bass and fish them for a week or two before the big gar congregated enough to move them out.

Well, they finally got rid of the netters and the bass populations declined to todays fraction of what they once were.

Modern fish and game management in action.

After the bass decline, in size and numbers, my cousin and I would go a mile or so up the Pophers Creek arm and tie or anchor where the old tree line crossed the creek banks.

Fish and wait. Maybe catch a stray feeder or two. After a while we would see the big boils of the big gar rolling and heading toward us a half mile away. Time to set out your bag of grape fliptail worms and blue and white Heddon Torpedos. Then the escaping schools of bass would hit, headed for the safety of shallow water and dead timber structure.

We would have 30 or so minutes of fast action, until the feeding behemoths were upon us. Then, it was over.

Rayburn used to be called the Bass Factory. It WAS called the Bass Factory. No more. Thank you, Modern Game Management.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I came to an understanding with sharks some time ago, they don't piss in my toilet and I don't swim in their ocean...seems to be working so far.

But if you feel you must then that is your look out.

A sound philosophy!

That it is for certain!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Man... the guys an Optometrist, political science expert, conspiracy theorist, social studies expert, white supremacist, and now a fisheries biologist? Im sure I didnt cover them all, just post a new topic and he will certainly express his expert opinion.

I dont know how he gets all that in, when hes on here 24hrs a day.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You know you are one bored mother fugker when you find yourself trying to rid the world of its shark problem, from West Texas.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell it to the tons of trout and redfish they "harvest".

SHARKS ARE PREDATORS. THEY EAT OTHER THINGS. THAT IS WHAT NATURE DESIGNED THEM TO DO. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO, NOT EAT AND STARVE?

I'm almost as good a human as you. I dont go out of my to kill any of the endangered flies or mosquitoes either, if they dont get in the house or land on me while outdoors.

GOOD FOR YOU. SO YOU TREAT THEM BETTER THAN YOU WANT TO TREAT SHARKS?

I wonder if you're smart enough to figure out what happens to populations of doves, ducks and quail when they are harvested by man, foxes, hawks, owls, coyotes and raccoons but the coyotes, raccoons, foxes, hawks and owls arent.

NATURE MANAGES PREDATORS DIFFERENTLY THAN IT DOES PREY SPECIES. EVER HEARD OF NATURAL CYCLES? IF YOU EVER TOOK BIOLOGY YOU WOULD HAVE. MAN IS A PART OF NATURE, NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR IT. DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD RUN THE NATURAL WORLD BETTER THAN NATURE CAN?

You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree. I like the natural world, including the prey as well as the predators. You want to rule it, I want to enjoy it.

Peace to you.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Human intervention is key to leveling the playing field across species.

Amen. And the leftests are destroying that symbiotic relationship.

I was being facetious.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jags concern about sharks is every bit as relevant as his concern about black people.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Human intervention is key to leveling the playing field across species.

Amen. And the leftests are destroying that symbiotic relationship.

I was being facetious.

laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I wasnt.

It is written: Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

“Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered

Of course, the heathens disagree. It's much more interesting when mountain lions and bears are not hunted enough to maintain a fear of man. It keeps more outdoorsmen on their toes.

That's why we have wolves decimating our wild ungulate herds.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Roger, this reminds me of years ago when guys were raising hell about the increasing flocks of cormorants and worrying about the deleterious effect on game fish populations.

Fish and Game said they mainly ate trash fish.

They spent a lot of sportsmans money and did a big study and time dragged on a few years, iirc, and they never released the results. Iirc, it took legal action to get the results of the study released.

The findings were that the birds were more disastrous to game fish populations and ate more bass and crappie than anyone could have ever imagined.

Nevertheless, due to some treaty with Mexico it is illegal, as far as I know, to kill one. Beneficial species, I guess. I expect they are eaten in Mexico and dont pose a significant problem to their game fish.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
You can be arrested for killing crows, blackbirds and ravens if you arent protecting crops or such.

Federal Migratory Bird Act.

Oh yeah, just wait until the federal bird cops get more people in the field.

I expect the country is well populated by federal class criminals.

The Feds are much more knowledgable in managing our critters in such a manner as to restrict our original constitutional freedoms.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by MAC
Sharks do as nature intended them to do. They are not evil. They are not brainless killing machine. They are an important part of nature. If you want to take one for the meat and it is legal to do so, have at it. But to kill it simply to kill it simply is not right.

This is my point. If you want to kill a legal shark for consumption or to just drive around to show it off at the local watering holes until it rots in the back of your truck, go for it.

But isn't killing a shark just to kill it, essentially poaching? (Serious question) And aren't you taking a resource away from legal shark fisherman when you do so just like the shark took that Tarpon away?

Comparing killing of sharks to a coyote is ridiculous.

The last I heard sharks don't come into a cow pasture and kill a calf.

People kill stuff

Wolves, Sharks, Bears ect

We people don't like competition

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont like essentially unrestricted predation on game I'm not typically allowed to be a predator of.

I Dindo Nuffin
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Except, you can legally hunt crows...

Jag sure does eat a lot of crow on this forum..... he shouldnt of made that mistake lol

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those hammers migrate each year at same time w tarpons run. It’s happened forever and always will.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.