Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jag-
How many sharks have you killed?

How often do you kill sharks?

How often are you on the ocean?

Not much now. A few a year fishing the coast. However, until about age 27 I camped and fished the coast a good bit, surf and bays with bait for redfish and trout. A fair bit then, living 20 miles from the coast.

True Grit is right, I need to kill more.

I've eaten some a few times in West Texas from friends who fish the coast. Specks are much better in my opinion.

Easy now hot shot, I don't usually kill something unless I can sell it or eat it. I have to admit I'm still pretty hard on varmints and poisonous snakes. I'm getting softer as I age but damn a rattlesnake.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't care for specks, I'll take a red or black drum first. specks just don't have any flavor, pretty bland in my opion.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jag-
How many sharks have you killed?

How often do you kill sharks?

How often are you on the ocean?

Not much now. A few a year fishing the coast. However, until about age 27 I camped and fished the coast a good bit, surf and bays with bait for redfish and trout. A fair bit then, living 20 miles from the coast.

True Grit is right, I need to kill more.

I've eaten some a few times in West Texas from friends who fish the coast. Specks are much better in my opinion.

Easy now hot shot, I don't usually kill something unless I can sell it or eat it. I have to admit I'm still pretty hard on varmints and poisonous snakes. I'm getting softer as I age but damn a rattlesnake.

Sorry, TG.

Well, I kill skunks and porky pines too, and I'm not selling or eating them. Skunks are hell on quail nests and porkys are hell on bird dogs.

I kill weeds in the garden, too, just for doing what they do. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/16/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Except, you can legally hunt crows...

Jag sure does eat a lot of crow on this forum..... he shouldnt of made that mistake lol

https://corvidresearch.blog/tag/crows-protected-my-law/

Yea, you can legally hunt crows but there are lots of Fed. hoops to jump through, including non-toxic shot. And yes you have to "report" your kills.

Crow season in Missouri is from November 1 - March 3, with no limit. Report your kills? Not required, neither is non toxic shot unless hunting a federally regulated waterfowl area. No special tags or stamp required, just a statewide small game permit. I love calling and decoying those sumbitches in the winter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Roger, try some Slap Yo Mama seasoning and corn oil. To me, they have a good bit more flavor than reds.

I've never heard anyone say reds were as good. Smaller drum I will eat, but I've seen too many worms in big ones.

Bass in cold water are good up to about 3 pounds. Bigger are ok.

Sheepshead are better than reds afaic.

Crappie and specks are best for me and yellow cat if not real fat.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by local_dirt
NOT when they're attached to 80-150 lb leader, 40-60 lb running line, and a rod the size of a pool cue or broomstick on the other end.

Who fishes for tarpon rigged like that?

Very common.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I don't care for specks, I'll take a red or black drum first. specks just don't have any flavor, pretty bland in my opion.

Agree. Too much water in the meat, too. I'll take a redfish any day.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many years ago I began my diving expedition on Guam at the age of 14. Within a very short time I began commercial spear fishing because the locals paid .50/pound, head, guts, and all. It was not uncommon for the gang to bring 150-200 pounds to the market and that was good money back then.

What I never told my folks was the war we had with sharks. There be more sharks in those waters than fleas on a pack of wild dogs, and they were aggressive. Didn’t take long before we grew tired of them stealing our fish and destroying our gear, so the last wanker to shoot a fish had to guard them.

Lot of big sharks, whitetips, hammerheads, tigers etc. The only time we backed down was when a great white of about 20’ joined the fray. We all learned how to straighten bent spears and to do brain shots in very short order. Given the time we would remove the barbed spear point just to make short work of it.

I don’t have anything in particular against sharks, but now and then they need killin’. They aren’t hard to nail when their face is 3-5’ from your spear point.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Let's go wade fishing!

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Interesting, the way I understood it the heads of hammerheads are designed for a cruise fairly close to the bottom picking up the electromagnetic signals of prey, you wouldn’t think of them so much is something that chases down free swimming fish at the top.

Makes me wonder what sort of cues an exhausted stressed out and struggling tarpon might put out, it seems like the shark would have little chance of catching a healthy free-swimming tarpon.

NOT when they're attached to 80-150 lb leader, 40-60 lb running line, and a rod the size of a pool cue or broomstick on the other end.

Unless the ‘poon is wore out just loosen the drag and let it run. It will likely give the shark one of those Wiley Coyote moments. Been there, done that. I never used heavy tackle on ‘poon though. Fly and plug rods, 16# line.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Let's go wade fishing!

Over fished my azz.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Here in upstate NY our crow season is from Sept 01 - Mar 31. The coyote
season is from Oct 01 - Mar 29
OldCuss

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Why kill them for just doing what sharks do?

Same reason I kill coyotes and flies and rattlers - because of what they do.

You prove over and over just what an amazing dumbass you are.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Interesting, the way I understood it the heads of hammerheads are designed for a cruise fairly close to the bottom picking up the electromagnetic signals of prey, you wouldn’t think of them so much is something that chases down free swimming fish at the top.

Makes me wonder what sort of cues an exhausted stressed out and struggling tarpon might put out, it seems like the shark would have little chance of catching a healthy free-swimming tarpon.

Unless the ‘poon is wore out just loosen the drag and let it run. It will likely give the shark one of those Wiley Coyote moments. Been there, done that. I never used heavy tackle on ‘poon though. Fly and plug rods, 16# line.

Tournaments and structure called for the heavier tackle, my friend.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Very common.

I thought all proper tarpon fishing happened on a 10wt.

Grins.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Very common.

I thought all proper tarpon fishing happened on a 10wt.

Grins.

Nothing at all wrong with that on a flats or bay boat where you can let them run (which I prefer). But, around structure or a bunch of other boats, or fishing $$ tournaments, that's not gonna work.

For entertainment, Do your google-fu on Boca Grande Tarpon.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This brings up another thing I hate about China. 100s of thousands of sharks a year are killed so that those azzholes can have $500/bowl shark fin soup. 99% of them are thrown back in the ocean without fins and die. You guys know I am FAR from an enviro Nazi. This is just waste, plain and simple. This is like one Hunter shooting 100 deer with a non fatal wound, cutting the backstrap off and leaving the animals to die and the carcasses to rot in the woods.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Tournaments and structure called for the heavier tackle, my friend.

I get that, but a loose drag is a loose drag. God gave us thumbs for a reason. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
This brings up another thing I hate about China. 100s of thousands of sharks a year are killed so that those azzholes can have $500/bowl shark fin soup. 99% of them are thrown back in the ocean without fins and die. You guys know I am FAR from an enviro Nazi. This is just waste, plain and simple. This is like one Hunter shooting 100 deer with a non fatal wound, cutting the backstrap off and leaving the animals to die and the carcasses to rot in the woods.

I agree with that 100%, we cut off every shark while sword fishing even when it was legal to fin. I've cut fins off thousands of sharks but never from one that was alive. I shot every live shark before we drug them through the door, and still got bit a few times.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This whole chitt show of a thread started because there were two videos posted.

One of a shark biting a fish in half and the other was a shark feeding on a dead, bloated, whale.

Then the title was "Why I kill sharks"

Made no sense to me.

Now, if there were video's of sharks shimmering through peoples yards, eating kids and pets, that would make more sense.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.