Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14882357 05/16/20
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I ordered a pig several months ago and I finally got it.

When I ordered it I asked that the hams not be cured and smoked, fresh. I was planning on making my own smoked hams.
Well as time went by, I decided I couldn't wait, so I cured and smoked a bunch of butts and made a ton of pulled hams. I don't really need any more smoked ham.

So, what to do with these big old fresh hind quarters?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pork roast.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pork roast.

Cook the [bleep] out of it like pulled (203*), or 145* and slice?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Steve,

I like to do them to around 145 and still be able to slice them. I put a rub on them the same as I would for pulled pork.

We usually make sandwiches but you can serve as roast if you'd prefer.

I usually score the fat cap in 1/2" squares. They make nice little chicharone type bites when you pull it off. I do them in the Egg but you can do them in an oven just as easily.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pork roast is great, make small cuts in it, place slivers of garlic in. Roast it until done, serve the gravy over Yorkshire pudding.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Steve,

I like to do them to around 145 and still be able to slice them. I put a rub on them the same as I would for pulled pork.

We usually make sandwiches but you can serve as roast if you'd prefer.

I usually score the fat cap in 1/2" squares. They make nice little chicharone type bites when you pull it off. I do them in the Egg but you can do them in an oven just as easily.

Thanks,
I think I will do it on my pellet grill/smoker, what temp should I use?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Boston butt in the crock pot. Salt's season salt, pepper, granulated garlic, liquid smoke, a sliced onion, and a couple of bay leaves. Crock on high for 4-5 hours.

I have a real recipe somewhere and it has a lot of salt but when it turns out it's great. I remember you mix about 1/2 cup of salt, 1/4 cup of pepper, and 1/4 cup of granulated garlic in a shaker to make what's called a house seasoning. Then use a few tablespoons of it and a few more Tablespoons of lawry's seasoned salt to rub the whole thing down. Sliced onions in the bottom and around the sides plus the 2-3 bay leaves. Liquid smoke and a little water.

If it interests you I'll dig up the recipe. When it's done it'll pull pretty easy. Like pulled pork with a little taste.

Other than that I'd try some kind of Hawaiian recipe. Most are kind of plain but the ones I like involve pineapple juice, soy sauce, and maybe brown sugar and even coke cola.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Last night I did some thin sliced boneless pork chops on the grille and everyone loved them. Those I do about 1/2" loin slices. I sprinkle a little bit of Montreal steak seasoning and then marinade them for about 1 hour in a bag with Soy Vay brand Island Teriyaki sauce then grill.

I made my pina colada rice with it. Its 1.5 cups long grain white, 1/2 can of crushed pineapple with the juice, and about 3/4 cup coco Lopez or a similar brand of sweetened coconut cream. Stir together with 2 cups water in rice cooker and cook like plain rice or bring to boil in pan then immediately put on low with lid on until done.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/16/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
250-275

Just treat it like pulled pork but pull it off earlier.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slice a little up and fry it like venison, see if you like it.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Grind some (maybe add some fat per preference) with seasonings into sausage.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We use to have a barbeque place that would cold smoke for you. Green Ham 2 days in the smoker some of the best pork I remember eating.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by joken2

Grind some (maybe add some fat per preference) with seasonings into sausage.

I have plenty of butts and trimmings for that, not to mention about 200 pounds of sausage already in the freezer.

My wife would shoot me if I turned this into sausage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
250-275

Just treat it like pulled pork but pull it off earlier.

Gotcha thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In these parts, it could be very fresh ham. The wife's son works for the USDA and does field work directly with the local farmers. He has one farm that has 3,000 hogs ready for market and the processors won't take them because of the reduced production. He doesn't know what he is going to do with them because they will be getting too big. Killing them all and burying was his environmental ramification question to Matt. What a colossal waste and that is only one farmer. There was a question on here this week about processing your own cow and maybe not, but I think that most deer hunters who cut up their own deer could process a pig. Would you try that if you could get a hog for near nothing?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Windfall
Where is that pig farm?
I wouldnt mind 1 or 2.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had an uncle that would have drove several hundred miles to get some of those. He would just load them in the back seat of his suburban. A little fresh pig crap in his ride would freshen the smell of that cab a bit.

As a kid I remember bottle feeding calves from the passenger seat of his k5 blazer while he drove 3 of them in the back seat area from Jerome Idaho to Provo Utah. They didn't stop for bathroom breaks.

Bb

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Make a ham.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Make prosciutto. Always wanted to try it. Love that stuff. Maybe someday when I have more time and patience.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fat Chicks need love too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.