Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I know I've brought this up before, but I need a better system of tracking firearms details and features. When we moved a few weeks ago I placed The List someplace I would be sure and find it. Oh well. I'm starting over.

I'm impressed with how some of you can pull up all the specs of a particular rifle at the drop of a hat. I guess it just takes time and effort I haven't put into it yet.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep it in documents on your computer?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Keep it in documents on your computer?

In the event of a smash and grab a computer would be on the list of things to grab. I'm more a paper-and-bury-it-in-the-yard kind of guy.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
probably a good idea. I do keep a printed copy stashed in addition to the documents copy.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Roy,
With digital storage on a cloud based server, you wouldn’t lose your list if the computer were looted. Of course, you could also just email the list to yourself and file the email online. If your computer was snatched, you would still be able to access your email, and retrieve the list, from another computer. Old school cloud storage.

Jake

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use an Excel spreadsheet.

Once you set it up with all your parameters down the row in the first column all you need to do is to keep adding columns every time you add a gun.

I keep my Savages in chronological order according to date of manufacture though so I do need to know some basic Excel skills, but it is pretty easy to figure out.

Every once in while when I update it I email it to myself and know that it is backed up by my Iphone so it will never get lost.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I spent time on the computer and where I have trouble is adding all the details and specs for each rifle. I can't get the spreadsheets to accept tons of info in some boxes and just "Savage" or a model in another without screwing up all the boxes. I am just not a computer guy. Zero patience for it, don't know the language, don't know the lingo at all, no habla el computere'

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I use an Excel spreadsheet.

Once you set it up with all your parameters down the row in the first column all you need to do is to keep adding columns every time you add a gun.

I keep my Savages in chronological order according to date of manufacture though so I do need to know some basic Excel skills, but it is pretty easy to figure out.

Every once in while when I update it I email it to myself and know that it is backed up by my Iphone so it will never get lost.

I've been working left to right with Excel. Are you saying each guns information is stored top to bottom in a column?

LOL
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
NMCollector with a back-up, or your main file, on a flash drive. You can run reports and include pictures.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you run the specs vertical, with a slot for each, Barrel length, stock style, etc., you can readily skip a slot where you don't have the info, and can add it later. Head each column with the serial number, second slot model, and then add info. You can keep adding columns as you add guns, and if you are anal about having them in serial number order (you probably are, or you wouldn't be doing the list in the first place) you can insert columns if you have to.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just dont bother,started once a looong time ago and gave up !! frown

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't contribute squat to the knowledge on the forum cause you guys are so far ahead of me I could never catch up. That being said, I do have some skills with open office.org (micro soft clone) and their data base application. I could probably work up a data base giving you everything you need if I had the details that your are looking for. You could then enter things to your heart's content. I do the bookkeeping for a friend of mine who has a gun shop and I track all of his sales in a data base. you can print it out, you can export it, you can do all kinds of stuff with it. It will crawl on its belly like a reptile........Little Egypt, the dancer, I think. The only thing you need to do is download open office to your computer. Millions of individuals and businesses use it. Entirely safe. If I had enough ambition I would figure out Bill Gates' version in office but I am tired of him updating my computer all the time. If I recall, you can sort, and all kinds of things. You could even identify really nice ones that you were going to send to me cause I am a senior citizen and I am entitled. smirk I am not sure about embedding photos but I could check.

Last edited by dallased; 05/16/20.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Loggah
I just dont bother,started once a looong time ago and gave up !! frown

I use the same system as you, Loggah.
It seems to work for me but my memory is beginning to slip!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
In my mind, NOTHING will ever replace the pen/pencil for the average guy. Several winters ago my wife and I sat down to discuss what will happen to my guns when I am gone. We came up with a page I stole from Bianchi leathers. It works just fine for us. Several pictures were taken of each gun. Savage letters or other provenance are also included with each gun if it is indeed party to the gun. The date of purchase, date of manufacture, and purchase price is included with each entry, along with the party the gun was purchased from. If I am fortunate enough to realize my demise is forthcoming I will start liquidating to spare her the anguish. If I just drop dead, she has complete knowledge of what the selling price should be and that would be that.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I don't worry about any of that . I'll let my wife and my son reap the benefits if guns are worth anything by the time I'm DEAD.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm just gonna leave instructions to take all my guns and stuff to the auction house, then use the proceeds to throw one helluva party for all my friends. You think I'm kidding? I won't care- I'll be dead.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm just gonna leave instructions to take all my guns and stuff to the auction house, then use the proceeds to throw one helluva party for all my friends. You think I'm kidding? I won't care- I'll be dead.

Please include airfare for your distant friend(s).

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say Gary is one of my best friends... smile

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didn’t know he was sick. I really like his Springfields.......I mean Gary a lot too. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The Springfields are going with me. I hear they have a pretty nice windless 600 yard range in heaven. Even better is the 1000 yard range in hades- but it's also windy as hell.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,127
Posts18,502,528
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.