Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I did some Springbok culling last year and made a conscious effort to alter my shot placement and note the results. The sample size was small but they were shot at virtually identical distances using the same load. I was not surprised that shooting them in the shoulder piled them up faster. I always try to break some bones if I can.

Aren't African animals lungs, typically further forward, than Nth American game ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had them run if I did hit the shoulder (one shoulder anyway), solid through the lungs with a fast destructive bullet, with the heart destroyed and have had them go down so quick I lost them in the scope with the same hits. If they run I like good blood to follow. On my last lease I became a spine/neck shooter making most hits in front of the shoulder, the spine at the shoulder blades or just back of there. The hogs and coyotes would destroy any deer that spent the night dead on the ground. That said I would say over all that I got the fastest kills using soft 150 grain bullets in the 30 calibers and 130's in my 270. I liked ballistic tips especially. Don't really care if I lose a shoulder either, especially if it means I don't have to crawl through low thorns and thick stuff to recover the deer. I also shot a lot of game with Hornady spire points which seemed to make a bloodier trail for some reason. If I don't have to sweat thick brush and thorns I prefer to hit them halfway up just behind the shoulder and let them run a bit to pump the blood out of their system.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I did some Springbok culling last year and made a conscious effort to alter my shot placement and note the results. The sample size was small but they were shot at virtually identical distances using the same load. I was not surprised that shooting them in the shoulder piled them up faster. I always try to break some bones if I can.

Aren't African animals lungs, typically further forward, than Nth American game ?

Yessir. Low, through the shoulder is a heart shot for those guys. I did find that if you put a good bullet through the heart/lung area on those plains game, they died just as easily as any other big game animal. One thing though, is that on marginal hits those African trackers are the dambdest thing you've ever seen when they go to work . I made a couple of very marginal shots and those guys were truly amazing, never seen anything like their ability to find wounded animals.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer a little forward of this entrance for a DRT kill, see the nice yellow dot.

This buck was on the move, stopped and just started to move again as the trigger broke.

Still a 50 or so yard death run pouring blood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]2.99 breakfast

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
In a perfect world, I prefer a high shoulder shot into the brachial plexus. That said, I'll punch the lungs without a second thought, if that's where my focus and instinct takes me first, in a given situation.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Whelenized

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GF1
Your test is way shy on data to draw meaningful conclusions. As I got older, and over almost 50 years killed many big game animals and watched lots of others others shot as well, in grading these two types of shots I get “I dunno.” I’ve seen bull elk drop immediately with a lung shot, and have seen them move off a hundred yards or so before dying. Similar with whitetails, mule deer and caribou. Even antelope. I have had a heart shot mule deer go down immediately, and a couple others run a death circle of from 50-90 yards. I am likewise dubious of grading shots/cartridges/bullets by the speed at which an animal expires.

I think it helpful if the bullet exits, but I’m not sure I can prove that one either. As somebody else said, I consider the heart/lung area to be one target, and center of mass means usually a lung shot. I also feel better about a bullet that I know will drive through a shoulder if necessary to get to the heart/lung area.

As in many other things, the older I get the more cynical I am about conclusions.

My post wasn’t meant as any meaningful conclusion, nor was my “data” trying to prove conclusively that heart v lung was good or gooder.

You want facts? Read a non-fiction book. I’m talking hunting and hunting has variables.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Answered, directly after reading your OP Beav - have not read further comments - Yet !

Yes, a heart shot animal always runs !

Also, add a question of my own.

Heart is great meat, why intentionally waste it ?

Then again, I feel the same about shoulders !

Right in the "slats" for "almost" everything I/we shoot.

My $0.02, others MMV.

& that's OK !

Paul, We grub the heart too. I do pass on the liver though. I can fry liver up and it looks absolutely amazing. I just don’t dig the flavor.

We still pack it out unless it’s ruined. We have a hunting pard, Mike, who loves it...We call the liver “Mikey Meat”.

Grins....😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman

Whelenized

Jud,

That’s a stopper shot....

I always try, if the shot angle is there to hit tight behind the shoulder. I’m not crying if I’m hitting 3”-4” behind a shoulder either.

I got a pard who seems to like center punching his animals in the middle. I’m not a fan of that placement. I do hold a leg really good and try to lean back as far as I can, when he’s opening up his furs. Grins 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Whelenized

What frog sticker is that?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Is it accurate to say that pump shooting an animal will typically produce these kinds of results where the animal is basically dead on its hoofs but still gonna show you he’s a track star?"

To answer your question. Yes.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Whelenized

What frog sticker is that?

Elk hoof skeleton knife made by Godogs57.

I have the same blade.

😎

“Molon Labe”
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You dubbed those an experiment and on the basis of this formed preferences. I just question the point, certainly not flaming you (as you did me).

And while hunting definitely has lots of variables, much of the technical stuff that interests most of us (including terminal ballistics) can be approached with a data-based approach.

And on the flip side, lacking information that would be helpful should certainly not preclude discussions such as these. In fact, these are useful in actually gathering more info from folks here.

Last edited by GF1; 04/17/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Yes I think heart shot critters usually give a death run.

I prefer to shoot them through the lungs. 1/2 to 2/3 up the body with enough space between my bullet entrance and the shoulder as not to wreck any meat. I have actually had quite a few drt's with this shot.
I enjoy eating the heart to much to shoot them there.

As a side note, I believe elk die easier than deer. This is from a sample size of 25 elk and probably twice that many deer. Whitetail and mule deer both. Of course there always exceptions, some animals just seem way tougher than they ought to.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I prefer to eat the heart so I try to avoid shooting it. When in doubt......

Shoot them in the pumpkin
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload image for forum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Double lunger for me......

Exit:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Exit:

Hard quarter away gets everything:

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I take what I can get. Rarely is it a broadside shot and the way deer come into the call its usually at an angle. I usually hit some meaningful bone in shoulder which ends things quickly. Bone and lead fragments plus the actual bullet blowing through the lungs does the trick.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Whelenized

Hoping to Whelenize a spring bear if our doofus governor ever opens it up..... gonna go old school with my old .35 Whelen for deer and/or elk this fall, too! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was young and impressionable they seemed to behave as if the heart shot hurt them more, but I didn't notice it killing or stopping them any quicker.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigswede358

As a side note, I believe elk die easier than deer. This is from a sample size of 25 elk and probably twice that many deer. Whitetail and mule deer both. Of course there always exceptions, some animals just seem way tougher than they ought to.

Very interesting opinion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,581
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.