-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is my first trip to Idaho, all of my previous elk trips were in Colorado. I'm going to GMU 16A this fall for the first season (9/15-22/07). I've pulled all the maps and have looked over aerial photography of the area. I've located some potential areas to investigate from aerial photo's and topo's. I've also talked with several people in the area with respect to habitat. The terrain is fairly steep and is "brushy" in and around our hunt area. Brushy was defined as Alder and Vine maple. There is alot of this type of cover.

A couple of questions:
1. What do elk eat in this type of habitat? There are not alot of open, grassy meadows. I assume they have a local/regional food prefernce - what is it in September?
2. Any ideas on the best method(s) to hunt this terrain? I've spent alot of time in elk country glassing. Not sure how this works in brushy country. Ideas, thoughts?
3. The elk will be rutting, we'll be trying to call them. Have never done this in brushy country. I have done it in Colorado in the timber with a bow. Do I assume elk will come to the call through the realtively open brush?

Any other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-- BW

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
This isn't the thickest or brushiest place in Idaho. I think Unit 6 has brushfields that are world class.

If you are an out of state hunter, Colorado would probably an much easier hunt than central Idaho. Not near the foliage in Colorado and there probably far more elk there as well.

I live in N. Idaho, and I find that Montana, Wyoming, and Colo utah and such are much easier to hunt, and have more game to boot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hunted Unit 17 a couple of years ago. We hunted the tops of finger ridges along drainages into Moose Creek (which drains into the Selway). The brush was really thick, but the timber line there is lower than in Colorado so you can get above it.

Along the tops of the ridges you could glass the adjacent ones. Even in November we were able to bugle in one bull.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mc - thats my game plan - at least on paper. I have several finger ridges diving into deeper creek bottoms with what looks to be north facing timber butting up to the brush areas. Am thinking bedding areas to glass at first light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best get your fanny in shape before showing up in Idaho. The northern half of the state can be very tough between the brush and steep mountains.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been working on it for a month already.......

I can also tell you it ain't as steep as I hunted in the West Elk Wilderness along the western side of West Elk Creek. Plus that was 10-11,000 feet high. That really was a challenge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ROLLY - "The northern half of the state can be very tough between the brush and steep mountains."

So can the central and southern part of the State!! laugh

BWinters, I can't add much to the above, other than to mention that at that time, although the nights will be nice and cool, the days will usually be pretty warm at that time of the year.

I'd probably spend a fair amount of time glassing those northern slopes. And if you kill a bull, be prepared to take care of the meat regarding heat.

Have a good time and good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
BW,
Do you know which area of 16A you will be hunting? Which outfitter and where is the Base/spike camps located? Very heavy chapperell and steep narrow canyons that are almost impossible to cross. Thank goodness IDF&G made many of these units a 2 bear area this year and this should really help the elk going forward. I will be scouting from Fog Mountain early in September as we plan on having at least one tag for the area.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I talked to an Idaho Fish and Game official a couple of years ago about hunting the Selway, and he said the only time to hunt was during the rut since the elk density is low and you just wait for a bull to bugle and take it from there.

He also said that non-native plants and predators were the big reasons why elk numbers are way down from their previous highs.

I hunted the Selway in '98. The only elk I saw was an old cow. It was very dry and I hardly saw any big game sign. I told the IDF&G guy about this and he said 'Oh, those were the good ol' days'! smile

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[Linked Image]

Bill, Here is the recent elk survey for the Selway I mentioned on our PM. As I mentioned, I spoke with Jim White from the IDF&G who conducted the survey and they saw some decent bulls. Hope you enjoy the Selway as it is beautiful!

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Steve!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[Linked Image]

Bill, since I just learned how to post pics here, I thought I'd put up the heavy based 16A bull I shot about 6 years ago and the cougar that also came from 16A. The Bull has 12 inch bases and came off of Indian hill not far from where you will be hunting. The bull came at me at full charge from a cow call and I dumped him at 45 yards. The week before I had another bull almost run me over before I shot and I missed him at about 5 yards due to absolute terror and since then I've decided to not let bulls get that close again!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[Linked Image]

Here is a picture looking at the Bitteroot range from one of my favorite views in the Selway. You are looking at units 16A and 17. When you get up high like this you can really see and this is where a good spotting scope and LR Range Rifle come in handy! Hope this helps get you in the mood!!

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I must have been in the wrong place! grin

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I won't mention how many zillion hunts I've got skunked on either! crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't hunted 16A but have hunted 12 around the Lochsa, and I imagine 16A is not too much different.

You are right, it's not too steep, but steep enough not much of it is level either and it's dense, hard to walk or ride in too.

Be in shape and be prepared for shots from close to farther than you will want.

Beautiful country, but overall some of the most demanding I've ever hunted.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Steve - thanks for the pics and damn nice bull!

I hope he's got offspring over there..........

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will be in shape and have a range finder although I'm not fond of carrying any extra ounces up steep hills. It did cost me a dang nice bull year before last though. Thought it was 400+, turned out to be 340 and change - doable.

Kind of a funny story. Saw 2 bulls fighting in the next meadow, took off running to the top to get above them. Running at 11,200 feet = foolishness. By the time I got around and over there, they had worked down into a draw between where I was sitting and where I first saw them. Tried to run back down to position 1 but again running at 11,200 ain't a good move. Never did see them again. Turns out the yardage to their original position wasn't as far as I first thought. Bummer..........

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have hunted about all of the Selway over the years and I suspect if you have time and your tough as rawhide you might get an elk, but I would say you have a better chance of getting a wolf, as they have taken over that area..

If I wanted an elk in Idaho, I would wait until there is 3 inches of snow on the ground, go to the top of Long Tom Fire Lookout, make a camp and walk off to the road every day. Lots of big bulls in there, and all you need to do is lock your leg around a tree before you shoot, its that steep and and its thick, then you will need a chainsaw and a horse to get him out, or maybe you can back pack him out in about 3 trips, figure one trip a day if your as tough as rawhide. You will be put to the ultimate test I assure you. Internet tough isn't good enough btw. smile smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.