-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be the odd man out and say yes, wearing masks can help reduce the rate of transmission of C19. Not all masks are created equal, some do a pretty good job helping the infected keep their germs to themselves, others are worthless in that regard.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/cor...ssion-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by as much as 75% when surgical masks were used.

“The findings implied to the world and the public is that the effectiveness of mask-wearing against the coronavirus pandemic is huge,” Dr. Yuen Kwok-yung, a leading microbiologist from Hong Kong University who helped discover the SARS virus in 2003, said Sunday.

“Transmission can be reduced by 50 (percentage points) when surgical masks are used, especially when masks are worn by infected individuals,” he said.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It might be successfully argued that the glass-fogging masks cause actually means you have just blown possibly infected air into your eyes - a distinctly counterproductive result.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You would need a zero bypass mask, goggles, and earplugs.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sure I want to use a mask all day going into and out of public locations, touching all matter of objects, then adjusting and putting the mask, taking it off, in and out of the car, yada yada. This will introduce far more risk of germs and bacteria than not having one at all. This is actually a dangerous practice, trapping contagion on your face and holding it there until it has a chance to infect you.

Now, if I were a nurse who had dozens of quality masks to use and discard every day, that might be safer. But these people going around with rags wrapped around their faces? Not sensible, logical or scientific, just stupid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a fine line between individual freedom and keeping your germs to yourself and not spreading them around in public.

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by persiandog

I don't think so . if you fart thru 4 layers of clothing , somehow we can smell it and fart molecules are much larger than viruses smile

If you worried about farts please wear 3M R95 mask. The Asians have handled the virus better than most western countries and almost all wear masks when out in public. If you wear mask while inside of buildings or on busy sidewalks and keep appropriate distance you are contributing in returning the country to normal. Please wear mask.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Please wear mask.

I wore an Avon FM53 last time I went to the grocery store. Had it on for most of the drive there until I got back in my truck. I wore a different one the previous trip...a 3M one I think.

How many social credits do I receive for going so far over and above?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wondering how my otherwise useless dog could find a favorite pine stick in 13 inches of wet snow a while back, I did some reading on the transmission of scent. Almost all of it was over my head of course, the dog understood even less, as I was reading aloud. Anyway, I guess substances emit molecules of the volatiles contained therein and when those diffused floating molecules come in contact with receptor membranes...bingo, that fires electrical impulses to the brain, assuming we have one, and we get the message. And so the dog finds the coke, body, bomb, stick, what have you. Note to self...use the bathroom fan aggressively, roll down the window when you fart. Obviously masks do not do much for particles at the molecular level.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
F
Speaking of dogs....my dog's farts would go through 10 N95 mask! And still cause you to pass out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Short answer is no.
Virus is about 100 nanometers, and the spacing on the threads of a mask may be 5 microns at best. Kinds like and open doorway keeping a fly out of the house.
The virus also enters through the eyes, and goes to the lungs through the nasal cavity. So again mask does not prevent that.
Virus particles or wet packets of virus juice stay aloft like perfume. Some of the smaller packets stay suspended for hours and some say days, and again these go through masks. So mask may reduce larger spit globs of virus, and that is good, but the smaller particles have free roam. Masks are simply not effective based on the size and mobility of a virus.

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by AS MUCH AS 75% when surgical masks were used."

Have you been outside? NOBODY is wearing surgical masks. I got a haircut and went to the skin Doc to get some stuff frozen off and I was the only one wearing an N95 mask. The Doc and nurses said they couldn't find any. They were basically wearing rags on their faces. So in your mind 25% or more of airborne particles won't make you sick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of folks are wearing surgical masks here while shopping. My wife said the the grocery store was selling 50 packs of surgical masks last time she went shopping, $ 35 if I remember right.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by AS MUCH AS 75% when surgical masks were used."

that was in rats, i'm not a rat, at least not literally

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hamsters actually.

Hamsters have very similar enzyme receptors to humans, which is why they were chosen as the test animals for Yuen’s experiment.

“Up to this stage, we do not have a safe and effective vaccine. What remains practical is still either social-distancing measures or wearing masks,” Yuen added.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on how ugly she is.

Must have been said by now. But too big an opening to let pass by. smirk

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Squidge
Hamsters actually.

Hamsters have very similar enzyme receptors to humans, which is why they were chosen as the test animals for Yuen’s experiment.

“Up to this stage, we do not have a safe and effective vaccine. What remains practical is still either social-distancing measures or wearing masks,” Yuen added.

not one of them either

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The masks we are all so dutifully wearing - whether commercial or home-made - are just about useless for stopping airborne virus. That goes for incoming as well as outgoing particles. That's because none of those masks seal airtight. That's why your glasses fog - your exhale is escaping unfiltered. So does the inhale.

We wear them because we are told to, because we will be denied service if we don't, or because we simply don't know any better. But not because they actually work.

Bingo, Rocky nails it again.
That's several times lately.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems the mask has become the badge of conformity. I wear one at the grocery store. Seems the polite and P.C. thing to do.

I'm using surgical masks, not as good as the elusive n-95 Find one of those...

I use hand sanitizer and or gloves. It's sorta a statement more than anything. Shows I really care...

Yuck.

It is what it is.

DF

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.